Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2018, 10:29 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You could have knocked Me over with a feather.

Much to my surprise last night when I turned on the TV and HSN was on. The big deal was that they were selling Minolta 20MP 35X Optical camera with a fixed lens. This item is quite small but according to the enlarged photos that were shown, it packs quite an IQ punch. It was marked down (so they say) from $229.99 to $199.99 with free shipping. But here's the thing. I was under the impression that Minolta bought the farm and was non-existent. The company's name was Konica-Minolta, but then I understood that Konica did not want Minolta anymore so they pulled the plug. I for one am delighted to see Minolta back in the marketplace as they made some very good quality equipment. I had a Minolta x-700 SLR and just loved the results it produced and the body always seemed to be a perfect fit. Their lenses were also superior and I am certain there won't be any disagreements there.

Very glad they are back in business as it allows for more folks to be able to earn a living. I forgot to mention that this camera has a very good live mode feature.

Thanks for reading,

Tonytee

Last edited by Tonytee; 04-29-2018 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Additional Information.
04-29-2018, 11:23 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Interesting. I thought Sony owned Minolta since 2006?
04-29-2018, 11:53 PM   #3
Pentaxian

My very first digital camera was a KonicaMinolta Dimage G600 point and shoot which I loved for its all metal build, very good lens and lots of manual controls. This is why my attention was caught by this thread.

Sony only bought the SLR part of KonicaMinolta in 2006. Doing some quick research I found out that the Minolta camera brand is now owned by Elite Brands. So it seems this has nothing to do with the original company.
There is an article on petapixel about it: https://petapixel.com/2017/09/25/minolta-quietly-released-set-new-digital-cameras/

Last edited by alpheios; 04-30-2018 at 12:19 AM.
04-29-2018, 11:55 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I came across these once before on PF - doesn't look like much more than a name

Minolta Quietly Released a Set of New Digital Cameras

04-30-2018, 09:21 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Could be a lot like "Singer" sewing machines - they're now all made in Asia. I've seen several brands hacked this way with outrageous claims for the new product, but it all boils down to a product under a defunct brand name of dubious quality mass produced in China or somewhere. Not that this is the case here - just saying.
04-30-2018, 10:37 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
Interesting. I thought Sony owned Minolta since 2006?
Really? I had never heard that. thnx.

TT
04-30-2018, 11:10 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Really? I had never heard that. thnx.
Sorry I should have specified Minolta's camera division, and even more specifically, just the interchangeable lens division known to have the alpha mount.

There are some Konica Minolta photo copiers still in service at my work though!

04-30-2018, 11:52 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Could be a lot like "Singer" sewing machines - they're now all made in Asia. I've seen several brands hacked this way with outrageous claims for the new product, but it all boils down to a product under a defunct brand name of dubious quality mass produced in China or somewhere. Not that this is the case here - just saying.
Honestly, that sums it up fairly well. Minolta is not back in business. Elite Brands is selling cameras using the Minolta name, in the same way that JK Imaging is selling cameras with the Kodak name. They might even be getting the same company (Asia Optical) to make them, which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. AOCI has made similar compact and superzoom cameras for many brands, even Pentax.

Incidentally, Elite Brands are the folks behind Rokinon lenses (rebranded Samyang). They also list Samyang as one of "their" brands, but so far as I can tell, they do not own Samyang Optics. Maybe they are the US distributor.