Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2018, 03:29 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
OLYMPUS is cost cutting.

For M43 users, the news is the China,Schenzen factory will be closed and future production is from a facility in Dong Nan,Vietnam.So all Olympus cameras will be produced there.Not exactly sure when.

Oly have split their production between both places but with the diminishing market they are rationalising their overheads.

I wonder when some of the other camera Co will see the writing on the wall and follow suit.

Last edited by surfar; 05-07-2018 at 03:34 PM.
05-07-2018, 06:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Not sure about how good the Viet Nam factories are (I have mixed, and mostly negative, experiences with ASV Pentax glass - though I bought almost all my glass used or refurbished so I only had two DA lenses that are ASV, all others are MIJ - from Takumar to FA Limiteds), but AFAIK Sony's Thai factories are having quite some QC issues (especially their 2470GM had a lot of sample variation) and they have much better success from their Chinese factories (which manufactured some of their Zeiss Alpha lenses and the 24105G). Curious to see how much sample variation will the new Olympus stuff will have.
05-07-2018, 06:33 PM   #3
Pentaxian

It doesn't surprise me that Oly chose to do that. As the joke goes.....Oly just released their new model and hopes no one notices it's the same as the last model.
I shoot it as a second system and it's a nice camera. Their prices are getting too high for what you're getting. Pentax is better built and at a cheaper price.
I'd say Panasonic will draw back next, way too many models to keep churning out. Mirrorless is cool but I think the Fad is slowing down.
05-07-2018, 06:50 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thazooo Quote
Oly just released their new model and hopes no one notices it's the same as the last model.
They are consistent, i wouldn't have bought the "old" model...the new one looks the same but does lots of good things.Talk is the new mid range is coming very soon.
Their prices are getting too high for what you're getting.
Well some might think that way but i think you get pretty good stills and pretty good video at the entry level,GREAT stabilisation and some unique features.Pentax does that too,each has their strong points.

05-07-2018, 06:50 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
So now mirrorless is dying?
05-07-2018, 07:18 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
mirrorless is dying?
My god,it must be...or perhaps Oly are preparing for the next Dslr revelation like the Canon 4KCine EF(that we will know more about by PhotoKina).
05-07-2018, 08:46 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

They will all be obsolete when we get our borg-issued eye cameras.

05-08-2018, 01:17 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I've always kept an eye on Olympus but have never owned anything of theirs. I almost went 4/3 Oly before buying my K200D many years ago (I'm VERY thankful that I didn't) but their cameras from the last few years have been very attractive and they finally brought out some good, small, fast primes, but their big problem remains the same one they've always had in the digital age - their stuff is far too expensive for what you get. Why would I pay more for a camera with a sensor little more than half the size of that in a Fujifilm or Sony camera? Why would I pay more for a 25/1.2 than I can pay for a 35/1.4 of equal quality from another brand?

There's no reason that moving to Vietnam will be bad as long as they take care with their QC.
05-08-2018, 02:32 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Why would I pay
We all pay for what we think will provide a good result.

Why i pay for Olympus is they have GREAT stabilisation,stills and moving pictures are good.Of course,theres the disadvantages of a 1/4 size sensor but equipment does different things.Theres no camera body or lens system available today thats top of the tree in all genres of image capture.Many are almost there,maybe next generation(meaning 3-5years)?
05-08-2018, 03:55 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Maybe China is just getting more expensive. Their one child policy has caused a decreasing base of their population pyramid. As the country us getting richer and more urbanised, less children will be born, despite them leaving the policy.
05-08-2018, 06:08 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
They are consistent, i wouldn't have bought the "old" model...the new one looks the same but does lots of good things.Talk is the new mid range is coming very soon.

Well some might think that way but i think you get pretty good stills and pretty good video at the entry level,GREAT stabilisation and some unique features.Pentax does that too,each has their strong points.
Don't forget to mention that Oly has the best JPG Engine on the planet also. It's the only camera I'll shoot in JPG and really like the results.I use the E-PL series, mostly for the size. Lately they've been moving toward a DSLR look and turning the E-PL series too small.
05-08-2018, 10:19 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Don't forget to mention that Oly has the best JPG Engine on the planet also. It's the only camera I'll shoot in JPG and really like the results.I use the E-PL series, mostly for the size. Lately they've been moving toward a DSLR look and turning the E-PL series too small.
I thought Fujifilm were universally acknowledged as having the best jpeg engine around. I have a little Fujifilm (X-M1) and I have to say they're fantastic. I always shoot raw+jpeg but in the Fuji I use the raw in only a very few number of cases.
05-08-2018, 10:36 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I thought Fujifilm were universally acknowledged as having the best jpeg engine around.
Well, i shoot a Fuji and a Oly and a Panasonic...the best jpegs are the Samsung 28mps.

But they are as dead as a DODO.

Last edited by surfar; 08-21-2018 at 02:35 PM.