Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-22-2018, 04:34 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
M/L where its at right now?

Heres some commentry from Hoges,throw another Raw Prawn on the barby?Is m4/3 Still a Viable Choice? | Sans Mirror | Thom Hogan

05-22-2018, 08:52 PM   #2

I saw that article too, but it didn't make me wonder about where mirrorless is now, it made me wonder where Pentax is now. For one thing, did you see any mention of Pentax in that article?

For those who haven't read it, the author presents a "squeeze" diagram showing how camera sales in general are being captured by smartphone sales, and how DSLR and compact camera sales are giving way to sales of smartphones (at the lower end) and mirrorless cameras. Then he proceeds to explain how the mirrorless market itself is about to be squeezed by the imminent entry of Canon and Nikon, postulating that the MFT format will face a struggle for market share,

Like all corporations, Pentax is its own worst enemy. If you have a great idea, be sure to walk away from it if it doesn't immediately make enormous profits. The K-01 was introduced in 2012 and discontinued in February 2013; the Sony A7 series was introduced in October 2013 and went on to make both history and boatloads of money. How's that working for you, Pentax?

I'm sure that there is a post somewhere on this forum explaining why Pentax was wise to make the decision to enter the mirrorless segment, and then leave. (For those of you who want to bring up the Q series, I'll just say that if I want a camera with a cell phone sensor, I'll buy a cell phone.) But here is what I know. I followed this forum for years, reading articles from members pleading for Pentax to release a K-02. The K-01 had an excellent sensor (from the K-5) and the ability to accept any legacy lens. (If you have been reading the articles about pending Canikon mirrorless efforts, you'll know that they are struggling with whether to design bodies that can accept legacy lenses or implement a whole new mount.) It couldn't have been that complicated to release incremental upgrades with the K-3 sensor, upgraded processing chips, all borrowed from the existing APS-C cameras, all in the same body. They could have even introduced a step-up model with an EVF sourced from Olympus or Panasonic. Pentax could have had a five year head start on Canon and Nikon, but they threw it away.

I have also seen complaints about the awkward styling and the size of the K-01. I just have to say, if you are one of those people who are still insisting that successful mirrorless cameras have to be small, PLEASE go to camerasize.com and compare the size of your APS-C Pentax body to a comparable MFT body, like the EM1 Mark II or the Lumix G9. My Lumix GX85 is almost the same size as a K-01, and the "too-large" K-01 could comfortably hide behind the G9 that is next on my purchase list.

I am not a Pentax critic, I am a Pentax fan. I have seven Pentax bodies and 20 or maybe more lenses. But I also have a Lumix and 4 lenses for that, and unless Pentax gets its act together, MFT has a far brighter future than Pentax. I love my Pentax system, but I am not investing in it anymore. Mirrorless is the future, and I hope Pentax joins it.
05-22-2018, 09:45 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BearCreek Quote
But I also have a Lumix and 4 lenses for that, and unless Pentax gets its act together, MFT has a far brighter future than Pentax.
Well, BearCreek, to go back to the original article, Hogen (who I think is basically worthless, but YMMV) believes MFT will end up like Pentax has always been - a niche thing, suiting its own particular owners.
05-23-2018, 12:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The name is Hogan, Thom Hogan. I have no idea whether he likes seafood.

He’s just pointing out that a squeeze is - or only may be - arriving on M43: smartphones from below, and larger-sensor mirrorless from above. That may mean the good times are over for Olympus and Panasonic, or there again it may not. The key to this, as the man said, is that no one really knows anything. What are Canon, Nikon and Sony really going to do and will it work anyway? We simply don’t know. Will Oly and Panny head for niches and do it well? We simply don’t know.

Behind this, imho, is whether full-frame sensors will end up replacing pretty well everything. The usual suspects would love that to happen, and they would love for us all to think it will happen. They have huge sums riding on it. Doesn’t sound much fun to me, lugging that stuff around. Throw another raw grenade on their barby and give up the mantra of bigger is better, bigger is high status. Probably that makes sense if you are a baboon arguing over who gets the banana, but they’re surely not any baboons out there, are there?

Last edited by mecrox; 05-23-2018 at 01:33 AM.
05-23-2018, 03:45 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Will Oly and Panny head for niches and do it well? We simply don’t know.
Hogan's being disingenuous ... even avoiding the original question he was asked, not wanting to offend.

I couldn't care less about the man's opinions, but if you read it, he thinks the consumer end m43 is a loss, high end priced too high, leaving only video as the niche for him (small sensors with low pixel counts can be read very quickly so you get good frame rates/ data flow).

05-23-2018, 03:45 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
who gets the banana,
Is the banana a crop?
05-23-2018, 03:56 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Is the banana a crop?
They often have spectacular field curvature, I can say that.

05-23-2018, 03:59 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
the man's opinions
His blog has its followers,i just happened across it and thought parts were accurate and some was speculation.

Last week i saw some breakdown of images posted on Flikr,50% were phone shots.33% Dslr and M/L is doomed with 4%!But all that means is that another hosting site has different figures.

Drones,360s and action cams wont feel the pressure from the Smartphone cams,other cameras will get encroached but not surpassed for a while.Ten years is a long time in techworld,i wonder what 2028 will be like???
05-23-2018, 04:07 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For those of you who want to bring up the Q series, I'll just say that if I want a camera with a cell phone sensor, I'll buy a cell phone. But here is what I know.
Well, from your comment, it's certainly clear that you don't know the Q series.
05-23-2018, 04:12 AM   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

For those of you who want to bring up the Q series, I'll just say that if I want a camera with a cell phone sensor, I'll buy a cell phone. But here is what I know.
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Well, from your comment, it's certainly clear that you don't know the Q series.
I was just thinking the same thing... I've yet to come across a cellphone camera that can produce anything like the image qualiy and RAW processing range of the Q7 (even the original Q). Not that cellphone cameras aren't useful tools - they are, but they're entirely different instruments. Find me one that comes close to the IQ of a Q-series with the 01 and/or 06 telephoto lenses, and I'll get my wallet out ready.
05-23-2018, 04:28 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I was just thinking the same thing... I've yet to come across a cellphone camera that can produce anything like the image qualiy and RAW processing range of the Q7 (even the original Q). Not that cellphone cameras aren't useful tools - they are, but they're entirely different instruments. Find me one that comes close to the IQ of a Q-series with the 01 and/or 06 telephoto lenses, and I'll get my wallet out ready.
Nice for stills, video is a long long way behind.
05-23-2018, 04:30 AM - 1 Like   #12
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice for stills, video is a long long way behind.
Video... what's that, again?
05-23-2018, 04:53 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well its what SmartPhones are used for lots!...ive just done a little one day event using M43 in daylight and a $$$ony smartphone after dark,the phone was quite good.Captured the sound really well,the vision was acceptable enough in 1080p.Next time i'll use the 4K.
what's that,
Have a 3 day event starting tomorrow,same procedure but will bring out the K-1 and Bigma for the finals day.
05-23-2018, 05:04 AM   #14
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Well its what SmartPhones are used for lots!...ive just done a little one day event using M43 in daylight and a $$$ony smartphone after dark,the phone was quite good.Captured the sound really well,the vision was acceptable enough in 1080p.Next time i'll use the 4K.
Yeah, I'll admit, the video quality of some smartphones is pretty impressive

I just get a little weary of hearing how they produce better stills image quality than something like the Q series (I've even heard people claim some phones outperform DSLRs ). The same look can be achieved with any modern camera in post-processing by applying heavy-handed noise reduction, sharpening, tone curve, contrast, clarity and saturation... It's fine and can look impressive for images viewed at small sizes, without too much attention to fine detail... but enlarge or crop and it becomes blindingly obvious what the limitations are
05-23-2018, 05:37 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
t enlarge or crop and it becomes blindingly obvious what the limitations are
Most definitely,and thats the thing...phn images arent enlarged or cropped very often.

I've even heard people claim some phones outperform DSLRs
Thats why Optometrists are in buisness!