Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2018, 03:45 PM   #1

Multi-cam videos - Syncing audio/ video

Using non-Pentax gear in this setup, but it does involve one Pentax camera - and others may have dealt with similar scenarios.

I'm wishing to sync multiple cameras & a single audio recorder as follows:
  • Pentax K70
  • 2 x Blackmagic Micro Cinema Cameras
  • Zoom H4N Audio Recorder
Previous multicam video efforts have been difficult to sync in post-editing using the audio tracks as I'm mainly doing live band performances & they're separated by some distance albeit facing centrally, they're picking up different performers/ speakers and background noise. I'm using Davinci Resolve 15 and would like to use the timecode feature there.

I can feed a scratch-track to the Pentax via the external mike jack & the BMMCCs record timecode via reference input on expansion cable, but I'm not sure how to set up on the Zoom which has 4-channel recording capability. Ideally I'd like to use all 4 tracks on the Zoom for the performance; 2 x tracks from the band mixer output to the XLR input and the device X/Y stereo microphones picking up the audience & ambient sounds. Maybe I can just override the X/Y mikes with another scratch-track via it's external mike jack (sacrificing the audience audio)?

The sync generator(s) I'm looking at are the Blackmagic Mini Converter Sync Generator and the Tentacle Sync E

Is there another way I could deal with this? I'm sure others have found economical & workable solutions and I'm not the first or last person to deal with this.