Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2018, 10:26 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nikon 1 Series officially dead

Says DPReview, following an official statement from Nikon.
I've always found them quite pointless, but couldn't help being fascinated by those little, cutely rounded cameras.
Maybe it's because I have a soft spot for unlucky projects and lost causes (Samsung NX-1 as well)...

07-11-2018, 10:58 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good news, second hand prices will surely plummet even further. As someone who always had a passing interest in that system, I may now pick one up.
07-11-2018, 11:18 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Didn't they kill off the 1 series a while ago already? Or was it a silent kill-off like the Q series?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-11-2018, 11:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Didn't they kill off the 1 series a while ago already? Or was it a silent kill-off like the Q series?
Yup, those were only rumors, this is an official statement.

07-11-2018, 12:02 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
My impression is that it was a "silent kill-off" but more effective than Pentax's "continuing to support" the Q-system.
07-11-2018, 12:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

the one inch sensor seems to have given Nikon problems. I have a couple of 1 series cameras and really like the system. The problem for punters like me is beyond the stock 10-30mm zoom lens, fast prime lenses that don't cost more than the original camera outfit seem to be few and far between; aside from a dinky 18.5mm f1.8 lens which is terrific. The 32mm f1.2 portrait lens comes in at an eyewatering £700+. Then the 10mm f2.8 (effectively 28mm) seems like a missed chance for a fast wide prime but costs a lot more than the fast 18.5mm standard prime.
Then Nikon announced two really tasty looking one inch sensor 4K compacts - the DL18-50 and the DL24-85 models featured f1.8-2.8 fast wide zoom lenses - only to eventually announce these cameras would never go into production.
It's a shame because there should be a place for the One series range and most of the criticism has come from people who haven't tried the cameras.
07-11-2018, 12:11 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Yup, those were only rumors, this is an official statement.
I wonder if this will give Pentax the guts to say that the Q is officially dead too?

07-11-2018, 12:14 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Johndav Quote
the one inch sensor seems to have given Nikon problems. I have a couple of 1 series cameras and really like the system. The problem for punters like me is beyond the stock 10-30mm zoom lens, fast prime lenses that don't cost more than the original camera outfit seem to be few and far between; aside from a dinky 18.5mm f1.8 lens which is terrific. The 32mm f1.2 portrait lens comes in at an eyewatering £700+. Then the 10mm f2.8 (effectively 28mm) seems like a missed chance for a fast wide prime but costs a lot more than the fast 18.5mm standard prime.
Then Nikon announced two really tasty looking one inch sensor 4K compacts - the DL18-50 and the DL24-85 models featured f1.8-2.8 fast wide zoom lenses - only to eventually announce these cameras would never go into production.
It's a shame because there should be a place for the One series range and most of the criticism has come from people who haven't tried the cameras.
I was really hoping for a solid review on that DL24-85. The focal range encompasses about 90% of what I shoot and it would have been wonderful having a small walk-around camera with that range. Very bummed when Nikon decided not to release them.
07-11-2018, 12:18 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Ransom Quote
I wonder if this will give Pentax the guts to say that the Q is officially dead too?
I'm not sure they are sure of that, but to follow the Nikon example, they would have to be ready to announce a K-02.
07-11-2018, 02:09 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No reason for Pentax to declare the Q dead if they do not think it is and they are the only ones who know.
07-11-2018, 03:16 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Knowing Pentax, they could come up with a new Q series camera out of the blue someday. The Q7/Q-S1 is BSI, right? So they could go with a stacked CMOS 1/1.7" sensor, when one becomes available...
07-11-2018, 03:26 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Knowing Pentax, they could come up with a new Q series camera out of the blue someday. The Q7/Q-S1 is BSI, right? So they could go with a stacked CMOS 1/1.7" sensor, when one becomes available...
I cannot image someone developing a sensor just for this use. Unfortunately, all the new small sensors seem to be 1/2.3" sensors developed for "super zoom" {such as Nikon P1000} or cell phone use, and that might be a step backwards.
07-11-2018, 03:37 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I cannot image someone developing a sensor just for this use. Unfortunately, all the new small sensors seem to be 1/2.3" sensors developed for "super zoom" {such as Nikon P1000} or cell phone use, and that might be a step backwards.
I don't think they'd develop it just for this, but as I said, if it becomes available, I could see Pentax jumping on it. 1/1.7" cameras were quite common until a couple of years ago, and if they still use the 1/2.3" sensor in new cameras, someone could easily still use the 1/1.7" sensor on a superzoom or even use that size sensor on a premium cell phone camera.
07-11-2018, 03:48 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I don't think they'd develop it just for this, but as I said, if it becomes available, I could see Pentax jumping on it. 1/1.7" cameras were quite common until a couple of years ago, and if they still use the 1/2.3" sensor in new cameras, someone could easily still use the 1/1.7" sensor on a superzoom or even use that size sensor on a premium cell phone camera.
All the "super zoom" cameras I'm aware of use 1/2.3" sensors .... they seem to be more interested in "reach" than in UWA or in quality. I don't know what cell phones are using. I suppose sensor availability could hamstring Pentax's thinking about the "Q" family.
07-11-2018, 04:48 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I went over to the DxoMark site just now and looked at their "mobile" ratings. For a few of the phones, such as the iPhone X {7th ranked}, they don't mention the sensor size at all. The highest ranked mobile unit, a "Huawei P20 Pro", has a 1/1.78" sensor. The third-ranked "Huawei P20" has a 1/2.3" sensor. Of the remaining ones for which they do give sensor size, all are 1/2.5" or smaller.

Getting an appropriate sensor from the mobile manufacturers may be more difficult than I had anticipated.