Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-23-2018, 08:02 AM   #1
Forum Member

Cambron Ultra Wide 20mm f/2.8 lens

OK so I picked up this Cambron Ultra Wide 20mm f/2.8 lens for $20.
It is a PK mount and I'll be using it on a Sony A7III with an adapter.
Its in great condition and I have been looking for an ultra wide lens so I'm quite happy.

I know Cambron made a bunch of lenses but there is little info about it.
All I could find were a couple of completed eBay listings for this lens (prices were between $107 and $155).

So I think I got quite a good deal on this lens but does anyone else use one/owned one in the past? Experiences?

07-23-2018, 08:54 AM - 1 Like   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
you could post a review of it once you have had some time with it

Miscellaneous Lenses for Pentax: Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
07-23-2018, 09:33 AM   #3
abw
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
you could post a review of it once you have had some time with it

Miscellaneous Lenses for Pentax: Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
Indeed - I'll try to put something together.
07-23-2018, 11:14 AM   #4
abw
Forum Member

Original Poster
I just tried a quick test in quite cloudy weather (no pics to show right now).

Some takeaways so far (shot hand-held):
• solid build
• focus right is smooth as is aperture ring
• at f/2.8 the lens is super-soft throughout the frame. The center is marginally sharp but the whole image appears 'smeary', like heat haze. Awful.
• stopping down - things get sharper but actually you have to stop right down to get the sharpest image and bump the ISO (things could get noisy depending on how your camera handles high ISO - my A7III is pretty good at this).
• Edge distortion is quite severe especially wide-open but stopped-down it improves some. Obviously being a 20mm UWA you are going to get distortion, however, straight lines running across the foreground appeared pretty straight.
• Vignetting is actually pretty minimal (and I was using this without a hood).

Overall I think it might be possible to get some OK shots providing you stop-down and have a decent amount of light (and a tripod if you really want to get the best architectural lines).
Foreground images appear sharper while distant objects (at infinity) are bit softer.
Providing you don't want super-sharp images across the frame, and can live with a edge softness and WA distortion, its an OK lens.
I certainly wouldn't pay over $100 for one. $20 is about right.

07-23-2018, 11:22 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by abw Quote
OK so I picked up this Cambron Ultra Wide 20mm f/2.8 lens for $20.
. . .
So I think I got quite a good deal on this lens but does anyone else use one/owned one in the past? Experience

I believe the Cambron 20mm is the same lens as the Soligor C/D 20mm. Reviews of the Soligor are here:
Soligor 20mm f:2.8 C/D Wide-Auto Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Spiratone also sold a 20mm f2.8 which resembles the Cambron, but I don't know for sure if they're the same design.
07-23-2018, 11:28 AM   #6
abw
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by .a.t. Quote
I believe the Cambron 20mm is the same lens as the Soligor C/D 20mm. Reviews of the Soligor are here:
Soligor 20mm f:2.8 C/D Wide-Auto Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Spiratone also sold a 20mm f2.8 which resembles the Cambron, but I don't know for sure if they're the same design.
yes I think you're correct about the Soligor connection.
Cheers.

I just read the reviews - that is the lens (just rebadged Soligor).
Seems the 'smearing' I mentioned is a common issue - with bright areas - so that sucks but is good to know its not my copy.

Gets an overall rating of 8.33 which is not bad so I guess I'll hang on to it and keep playing with it until I can find its strengths. Having a 20mm is handy so...

---------- Post added 07-23-18 at 11:49 AM ----------

I just checked a Flickr group for this lens and wow - it seems to produce some incredible bokeh which I was not expecting at all.
I'm going definitely play with this lens more seriously!

Last edited by abw; 07-23-2018 at 11:34 AM.