Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2018, 06:12 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Welp, Nikon came first with the shift to full-fledged mirrorless among the three remaining DSLR makers...
Canon is prolly following suit soon.

I feel sad for Pentax's lost opportunity with what they could've done with the K-01. Sadly, their very own legacy became the Achilles Heel of the brand - and now Pentax is barely catching up.

Good job Nikon for taking the risk. Luckily they're big enough to soften the blow if the products fail
Shift?? Have they discontinued the D850, D750, D500, D7500, D7200, or any of the lesser cameras?

As far as I know, this is just two products added to their line.

08-23-2018, 06:43 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
As far as I know, this is just two products added to their line.
I guess though that there is a real risk that the 'writing is on the wall' now for Nikon's conventional DSLR lineup and the F mount. Just like it was for Sony's A mount once E-mount mirrorless evolved and started getting most of the Sony camera division's attention and resources. A-mount is still alive, but all the new stuff comes in E-mount.

Same thing will probably happen to Nikon - F mount won't be killed off directly, but if the Z series takes off, F mount will be left to wither.
08-23-2018, 06:46 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm quite interested by the target market of the Z7 in particular - the camera is small, but the lenses aren't, so not so great for street shooting, unless with the adaptor - big Mp sensor, so not a sports camera - EVF has less advantage for landscape where live view can be used - they're suggesting low light shooting will be a strength, but that's a bit niche and a lower res sensor would be less noisy. There's a lot to like about the camera -a proper photographers tool in a lot of the details, and should produce nice results, but it's expensive, and if I were a Nikon user I'd be wanting to see what it was better for (other, hopefully, than video) than my comparably priced SLR, and if I were a Sony user I probably wouldn't see anything to tempt me to change. I think we need real user reports to understand the strategy
08-23-2018, 06:50 AM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I'm quite interested by the target market of the Z7 in particular - the camera is small, but the lenses aren't, so not so great for street shooting, unless with the adaptor - big Mp sensor, so not a sports camera - EVF has less advantage for landscape where live view can be used - they're suggesting low light shooting will be a strength, but that's a bit niche and a lower res sensor would be less noisy. There's a lot to like about the camera -a proper photographers tool in a lot of the details, and should produce nice results, but it's expensive, and if I were a Nikon user I'd be wanting to see what it was better for (other, hopefully, than video) than my comparably priced SLR, and if I were a Sony user I probably wouldn't see anything to tempt me to change. I think we need real user reports to understand the strategy
I've thought all along that the target audience was current Nikon users who are being tempted by MILC offerings, especially from Sony.

08-23-2018, 06:51 AM - 1 Like   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I guess though that there is a real risk that the 'writing is on the wall' now for Nikon's conventional DSLR lineup and the F mount.
Funny - I also have a feeling that Nikon might have decided that the future is mirrorless - only time will tell, I suppose
08-23-2018, 07:13 AM - 1 Like   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Funny - I also have a feeling that Nikon might have decided that the future is mirrorless - only time will tell, I suppose
Regardless of what the future is, this gives Nikon and Nikon users a foot in the MILC world - they don't have to worry that the photo world will suddenly "tip" towards MILC, leaving them with no sellable products. It was said that Ford had developed both all-electric and hybrid versions versions of certain vehicles and they could have switched to an all-electric or mostly-electric transportation world almost over-night; this gives Nikon the same kind of flexibility with respect to MILC.
08-23-2018, 07:38 AM   #37
Pentaxian

I no longer use any Nikon but I will not doubt the Zs are state of the arts, but there are couple things I don't feel comfortable with it. At the first look it reminds me of the Nikonos RS, the tiny finder head looks weird to me, and the body is boxy like many other new cameras, of course this is just a personal preference has nothing to do with it's functionality. The other thing I don't like is the lens release button of the new mount, it still put so close to the left edge how could one change lens without first 'un-grab' the camera ? beside Pentax I think Sony is the only other camera that do it right, I can keep holding the camera steady with my right hand and press the lens release button with my ring finger and change lens with my left hand, I don't know how Nikon fans do it quick especially with big heavy lenses. When you invest huge amount of money on a piece of equipment you will expect more than it's functionality, I don't feel 'good ergonomic' is the right word to describe this camera.

I don't understand why new cameras getting more and more AF points, most new cameras got over 100 of that, how we can actually benefit from having so many of them ? for a given aperture and object distance the DOF is fixed, and in order to use off center AF we have to mount the camera on tripod or hold it very steady, why can't we simply pan and focus or use face detection instead ?

08-23-2018, 07:45 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Nikon targeting Sony's mirrorless business. My guess is Sony is about to take a hit.
08-23-2018, 07:51 AM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
I don't understand why new cameras getting more and more AF points, most new cameras got over 100 of that, how we can actually benefit from having so many of them ? for a given aperture and object distance the DOF is fixed, and in order to use off center AF we have to mount the camera on tripod or hold it very steady, why can't we simply pan and focus or use face detection instead ?
For several years, the main complaint I heard about Sony systems was their AF, especially for moving targets. I don't hear those complaints any more - remember these AF points are built into the one sensor. I guess Nikon decided to use the architecture proven by success.
08-23-2018, 08:18 AM - 1 Like   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
<snip> The other thing I don't like is the lens release button of the new mount, it still put so close to the left edge how could one change lens without first 'un-grab' the camera ? beside Pentax I think Sony is the only other camera that do it right, I can keep holding the camera steady with my right hand and press the lens release button with my ring finger and change lens with my left hand, I don't know how Nikon fans do it quick especially with big heavy lenses. <snip>
Off the top of my head... Fuji, Leica, Sigma and the Samsung NX are similar to Pentax and Sony. Canon, Olympus and Panasonic are similar to Nikon. I also find the lens release on the grip side easier to use.
08-23-2018, 12:57 PM   #41
Veteran Member

My big takeaway from this was that Nikon managed to make an adapter with a mechanical aperture actuating lever for a reasonable price, which I always thought would be the biggest obstacle to "smartly" adapting Pentax lenses to mirrorless. (Even though Nikon abandoned screwdrive AF, Sony's already proven that an adapter with such an AF motor is possible.)
08-23-2018, 01:46 PM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Scintilla Quote
My big takeaway from this was that Nikon managed to make an adapter with a mechanical aperture actuating lever for a reasonable price, which I always thought would be the biggest obstacle to "smartly" adapting Pentax lenses to mirrorless. (Even though Nikon abandoned screwdrive AF, Sony's already proven that an adapter with such an AF motor is possible.)
The K-1 was too much. The Nikon is too much. It all depends on your perspective.
08-23-2018, 02:08 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
norm, what do you mean that the K-1 and the Z's are "too much"?

And agreed, these could in theory be great street shooting cameras, if the lenses weren't large by huge.

Whatever.
08-23-2018, 02:37 PM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
norm, what do you mean that the K-1 and the Z's are "too much"?

And agreed, these could in theory be great street shooting cameras, if the lenses weren't large by huge.
The Z's could be good street shooting cameras with small lenses.

I believe Kerrowdown does street shooting with small lenses mounted on a K-1, but a better solution would be to mount them on a KP, which is somewhat smaller, and also has a flip-down LCD - a K-01 with a flip-down LCD would be even better, but there is no such thing.
08-23-2018, 02:45 PM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The Z's could be good street shooting cameras with small lenses.

I believe Kerrowdown does street shooting with small lenses mounted on a K-1, but a better solution would be to mount them on a KP, which is somewhat smaller, and also has a flip-down LCD - a K-01 with a flip-down LCD would be even better, but there is no such thing.
Way to expensive. My K-1 was pretty much a gift. I normally don't pay that much for a camera. The Zs are even more.