Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2020, 07:19 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Because you told me I was wrong. So see for yourself.
I'm not going to defend your assertion for you. You made it, own it.

To me saying "use this equipment (which I don't own) and you'll see what I'm talking about" is a cop out. You know I don't own the equipment, I'm not sure what you're asking me to do is relevant to the conversation, and I have no idea what it means to me.

JSherman used to use that all the time. "You don't have a full frame so you can't argue with me." When I finally got a full frame I was able to show 90% of what he posted was nonsense.

A few pictures would let me see what you're talking about. In the meantime, for me personally it's just gobbledygook.

But it often happens, when images are displayed, I'm often not satisfied with the user's explanation of what's happening. The fact that you own the gear, doesn't necessarily mean you understand what's going on with it.

Assertions made without supplying evidence means you have to trust the competence of the tester. There are very few guys here, I'd grant that trust to.

At present I don't even know what an image you'd define as clinical looks like, except you think clarity and sharpness are factors.How they combine and what exactly those terms mean to you isn't clear. For myself, clarity and sharpness are characteristics of every good image. I'm definitely not assigningg those characteristics to something as narrow a definition as "clinical." as if only "clinical" images have those things. All my keepers have great clarity and are sharp, yet I don't classify all of them as "clinical."

Your definition is fraught with pitfalls.

Last edited by normhead; 02-19-2020 at 07:32 AM.
02-19-2020, 07:43 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote

A few pictures would let me see what you're talking about. In the meantime, for me personally it's just gobbledygook.
I agree with a lot of things you say Norm. And if we are talking about out of camera JPEGs I'm in more agreement. But to me what difference I see mostly come down to RAW editing in pretty much all digital cameras using a Sony sensor. But I shoot mostly film so, you're right, the digital savvy will know more than me.

I dunno, I can't say these are good examples but here a few recent posts with my F-mount and a couple of film color shots for the fun of it.

Alvord Desert Sunset by tuco, on Flic

Fuji Film Color

[

Last edited by tuco; 02-20-2020 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Add info
02-19-2020, 08:02 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I agree with a lot of things you say Norm. And if we are talking about out of camera JPEGs I'm in more agreement. But to me what difference I see mostly come down to RAW editing in pretty much all digital cameras using a Sony sensor. But I shoot mostly film so, you're right, the digital savvy will know more than me.

I dunno, I can't say these are good examples but here a few recent posts with my F-mount and a couple of film color shots for the fun of it.

Alvord Desert Sunset by tuco, on Flic

Film Color

Now which of those do you consider to be "clinical" and why?
02-19-2020, 08:10 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Now which of those do you consider to be "clinical" and why?
Oh, those are what I think don't have the more "clinical" look than I get with the zoom lens I have. Those are using a Takumar 50/1.4 and a Zeiss 21/2.8.

Here is one I think is the more clinical Nikon G-lens look.

02-19-2020, 08:19 AM   #20
Pentaxian

I think I'm getting it.... but it's subtle.

Colour balance, different subjects and different light sources etc. are messing with the comparisons.
02-19-2020, 08:33 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

I think I'm getting it.... but it's subtle.

Colour balance, different subjects and different light sources etc. are messing with the comparisons.
Well, that's the variability of real world picture taking. I have a CCD sensor camera. And we hear to no end to the extra great color that yields. Yeah, it can but not all the time, IMHO. Sometimes I go, wow, that's nice color and other times I say yuck, that sucks, just like the other digital cameras I have owned and film too.