Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2018, 07:50 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The Infinitely-Upgradeable Camera, by Phase One.

It’s a bit more expensive than the Ricoh GX-R, which probably means it will survive.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/photography/phase-one-infinity-xf-announced/

I bet it has lousy AF.

08-28-2018, 08:27 PM   #2

Interesting. Been wondering if such a thing was possible. Will have to see how it handles in reviews.
08-28-2018, 09:14 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You kind of would expect cameras that cost 10x a Pentax 645z would last you a while...

The problem modular products are that they usually become more expensive than reguarly replacing the whole product.
A modular product is often much more expensive when you buy it, and the modular upgrades can be as expensive as replacing the whole product.

But it is probably a good thing for the environment.

But on the other hand, you do not need a modular camera for it to be upgradable. Pentax offered K1 users to upgrade to K1 II.

I think the most exciting thing about this announcement is that Sony finally have made a new generation MF sensors available. So a 100MP replacement for 645z could be possible, and it would probably cost less than 1/5 of these Phase One cameras.

And this sensor tech may also be used for a new generation BSI FF and APS-C sensors. 60MP FF and 27MP APS-C.

Last edited by Fogel70; 08-29-2018 at 01:33 AM.
08-28-2018, 11:56 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like the idea, cameras are modular, yes the way it should be.

out of my price range

08-29-2018, 12:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
But is is probably a good thing for the environment.
Another way would be to use re-cycled materials in the cameras as much as possible.

This was one of the factors [some years ago] that convinced me to buy a Sony NEX-F3 camera and Sony 'Cedar' mobile phone - as part of Sony's 'GreenHeart' program, both were substantially made of recycled plastics, had energy efficient usage features, and were also designed to be easily recycled.
08-29-2018, 02:47 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
I think the most exciting thing about this announcement is that Sony finally have made a new generation MF sensors available. So a 100MP replacement for 645z could be possible, and it would probably cost less than 1/5 of these Phase One cameras.

And this sensor tech may also be used for a new generation BSI FF and APS-C sensors. 60MP FF and 27MP APS-C.
Yes, you’d think that something like a renewed 645Z would be out of the blocks before something as expensive as this, simply because they’d sell more and buy sensors at a lower unit price. On the other hand, Phase One might have the capacity to be an early-adopter of the new sensors, which possibly involves a high rejection rate of silicon while Sony irons out the manufacturing process. Then there’s the processing power and memory to cope with the extra data. I’m sure we’ll see a new 645 from Pentax before too much longer.
08-29-2018, 02:51 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Another way would be to use re-cycled materials in the cameras as much as possible.
I believe regulations today require manufacturers to handle recycling of the produced goods. But recycling a whole product demand more resources than only recycling part of it.
But regulations probably have regional variations.

QuoteQuote:
This was one of the factors [some years ago] that convinced me to buy a Sony NEX-F3 camera and Sony 'Cedar' mobile phone - as part of Sony's 'GreenHeart' program, both were substantially made of recycled plastics, had energy efficient usage features, and were also designed to be easily recycled.

08-29-2018, 02:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
It’s a bit more expensive than the Ricoh GX-R, which probably means it will survive.

Modular, Upgradeable Phase One Infinity Camera System Boasts 150MP | Digital Trends

I bet it has lousy AF.
So far, the article only say new backs and no words on the body. So far it's pretty much nothing really new in the modular aspect compared to previous body.

Wait and see.