Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-27-2018, 05:21 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Yes, considering Fujis 2/3/4% of the market they are on a winner.If they take the 1% of the market with their 3 models(by May next yr)then I's say they will be pretty happy.99%, maybe...but what about the people who pay the BIG $$$ ...once they see the images,99 becomes 98.5/98 maybe?
Those people are buying the 100MP Phase One cameras with true medium format sensors. Even former Fuji evangelist Zack Arias still shoots with a Phase One. Fuji changed the rules of the X-photographer program. To be an X-photographer you have to shoot exclusively with Fuji and Zack wasn't going to trade in his Phase One for a GFX-50. He still shoots with an X-Pro 2, but he is no longer an X-Photographer.

After a while Fuji discounts, mid 2019 its 4K(just a guess) so used price is 3.5....2020 its 3K used...YES, i'm buying at that price(although i can buy now i have other stuff that i rate higher).
Your lenses are still going to be $2,000 a piece.

MF isn't fast, never has been but landscape/product/architecture and with 50R and the new pancake its a top end street shooter.
There are not a lot of people shooting street with a $4,000 body that is as big as a DSLR. The bulk of medium format has been portrait, fashion, and wedding, not landscape/product/architecture. The death of the magazine industry has changed a lot of that, but historically landscape and architecture has been the domain of large format film. There was a period of time when most your upper-end wedding photographers were shooting medium format.

Of course, it wasnt the speed but the price that i was comparing.
You need to put the price in context to the performance and capabilities of the camera. Something has to justify the cost.

Yes,of course...but it opens up a price bracket that will attract buyers.
The lenses are still the same and that is going to be the biggest expense.

I love medium format and I think that larger formats benefit the most from the removal of the mirror box just due to the size. MF users don't expect blistering frame rates, but they do need cameras that are fluid and operate smoothly. No lag, hunting, or delays as you make selections, focus, or release the shutter. The GFX-50s is not a highly polished product so I don't expect the R version to be either. The next generation is coming next year, and I expect it will be a much improved camera. The 100MP sensor is not really exciting to me, but adding PDAF to the sensor means we should see a faster camera that a working pro will feel better about.

09-27-2018, 04:34 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The lenses are still the same and that is going to be the biggest expense.
Some will cost a bit for sure,some are not that much though.Lots of used glass(manual) and FF mode at 30mp is an option.

50R is 2 cameras in one,for me anyway.Aussie price is A$7100 ...motor bikes,boats and other hobbies cost more.

---------- Post added 09-28-18 at 10:36 AM ----------

There are not a lot of people shooting street with a $4,000 body
Yes,they are using the Hassy X1D and that costs double!
09-27-2018, 05:54 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thats better than Pentax prices too!

Ok, some of the Z lenses are less as well.Some are much more than Fuji.

All the Fuji glass is for digital and is WR.
09-27-2018, 07:51 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Thats better than Pentax prices too!

Ok, some of the Z lenses are less as well.Some are much more than Fuji.

All the Fuji glass is for digital and is WR.
Yeah, but with the exception of about 4 lenses the entire Pentax 645 line-up is dated. Pentax is barely making an effort with the FF system. Right now APS-C and medium format are on life support and Ricoh doesn't seem interested in resuscitation. Ricoh has to solve the AF problem and that includes lenses. Fuji will have produced 3 medium format bodies and 10+ new lenses faster than a Ricoh camera can focus on a sleeping cat. PDAF is one of the oldest technologies in the camera business, but Ricoh still can't figure it out.

The Fuji system is superior in just about every way when it comes to performance, but Fuji too has a long way to go for the GF line to be viable to a larger segment of the market. It all comes down to speed and AF. If they can get to 5fps and XT-3 AF tracking they will open up a huge market.

09-27-2018, 09:06 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The Fuji system is superior in just about every way when it comes to performance, but Fuji too has a long way to go for the GF line to be viable to a larger segment of the market. It all comes down to speed and AF. If they can get to 5fps and XT-3 AF tracking they will open up a huge market.
The Fuji philosophy is for Resolution on MF(they have some history from the film era).They are not going for speed,its all about IQ.

The Apsc philosophy is the opposite.Speed and portability along with a true Hybridness(is that a new word?).

Both their systems SELL, and with the continued development they are in the market in a significant way.Excellent lenses,the WR is getting very good.They still have a way to go though.