Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-25-2018, 07:57 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Fujifilm's 100 Megapixel Medium Format camera

Fujifilm announced development of 100 Megapixel medium format camera with 4K video, on sensor phase-detect AF and in-body image stabilization.

I wonder how Pentax is going to respond to that...

09-25-2018, 08:53 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
09-25-2018, 08:55 AM   #3

Hopefully by releasing a 'full' 645 sized sensor in the 645X (or whatever it will be called). With any luck with SR and pixel shift (something that in my view no other manufacturer has gotten right yet).

Pentax has a big advantage over the recent Fuji / Hasselblad offerings in that it has body/lenses that can accommodate a larger sensor, and much, much lower prices than Phase and Hasselblad MFDSLR's. But unless they can find a way to amp up lens production it's going to be hard to get much of a foot hold... I think the people dropping this kind of dough on a body are likely after modern lenses as well.
09-25-2018, 09:09 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Well, it's not true MF, only crop-MF, but still pretty impressive. (Fuji's mount is incompatible with true 645 format)

In theory, Pentax could respond with a true MF, 100 MPix upgrade in a 645Z-shaped DSLR body. The sensor does exist in Sony's line-up. The larger pixel size of a true-MF sensor would give superior IQ over that of the crop-MF. Pentax might be able to bring IBIS to it, too. That would potentially add pixelshift, astrotracer, horizon leveling, composition adjustment, etc. to the upgraded 645 body.

The technical hurdles are modest.

09-25-2018, 09:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
100mp crop-MF with IBIS. that's huge (metaphorically speaking).

EDIT: I really don't like the built in hand grip.
09-25-2018, 09:32 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Many people have thought for a long time that Pentax need to go FF MF - I really hope they're working on it - the mirrorless thing isn't such a big deal if you have other tasty features - though 100MP pixel shift would be good for computer and processor makers - but true MF at an affordable price would be really impressive - not to mention better looking
09-25-2018, 09:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Many people have thought for a long time that Pentax need to go FF MF - I really hope they're working on it - the mirrorless thing isn't such a big deal if you have other tasty features - though 100MP pixel shift would be good for computer and processor makers - but true MF at an affordable price would be really impressive - not to mention better looking
I really think that regardless of FF or crop, Pentax needs to bring everything it has to the table. So things like IBIS and pixel shift. a pixelshift 150mp FF 645 camera would definitely turn things up to 11. If Pentax could then allow a delayed timer between exposures and the mechanical shutter, that could make it possible for pixel shifted flash photography. That would be a huge boon to product photographers.

09-25-2018, 09:54 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

4K from a 100Mpx MF crop sensor? That is a huge waste of pixels and sensor real estate. The rest of the package sounds cool. It will be interesting to see if the final product delivers in the real world and if Fuji can deliver lenses equal to the challenge of the sensor.

Steve

(...musing if it is possible to make an uglier camera...)
09-25-2018, 10:51 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Now Fuji is getting interesting. The GFX-50 is just too slow and the CDAF is to limiting for many people. Moving to PDAF on sensor and pumping up the speed of the camera and that changes everything. We could see the return of the MF wedding photographer. The guy I sold my Contax 645 to is still shooting wedding with it.