Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
10-02-2018, 12:02 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I like the looks of it.

I have a '51 Leica 11f with an even older 50mm Leitz collapsible lens. I've had that for...since around 1981 and it's a great camera. Over the years I've used it an awful lot and like the Energizer Bunny it keeps on going and going.

I like the rangefinder type of camera and the Zenit looks like a pretty fair copy of a Leica digital rangefinder. Full frame sensor @ 24 MPs, that has to appeal. I don't know who manufactures the sensor, so that would be interesting to find out. The OP says the body will be produced by Leica...hmmnn..like to find out more about that arrangement and if the Zenit body is manufactured to Leica specs and using the same material.

How well it works is of course, another question and I would like to see some Western reviews. The other question is will it be marketed in the West and for how much, what will the parts/service backup be like, etc. I left out the dealer part as local dealer stores for any camera in North America seem to be a concept that is fading out. Online seems to be the way a lot of stuff goes now, whether I like it or not.

The website link is in English so I wonder if this Russian company has plans to market this camera in the West. I dunno, just speculation on my part.

It might be a very good camera for those who don't mind a manual focus and would like to get into the world of rangefinders...but of course..only at a very reasonable price.
Hi, Lesmore49!
In press release was said that sales in Europe will begin in December, in Russia in January. Price will be 5000..6000 euro. Only 500 units will be manufactured.

10-02-2018, 12:34 PM   #17
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I like the rangefinder type of camera and the Zenit looks like a pretty fair copy of a Leica digital rangefinder. Full frame sensor @ 24 MPs, that has to appeal. I don't know who manufactures the sensor, so that would be interesting to find out. The OP says the body will be produced by Leica...hmmnn..like to find out more about that arrangement and if the Zenit body is manufactured to Leica specs and using the same material.
Allegedly, "Zenit" was responsible for the external design, and Leica for everything else, including the assembly which is taking place alongside the M10 at Wetzlar. Apparently the Zenit-M is very similar to the M240 internally...

These aren't confirmed facts, but re-iteration of news gathered from other sources at Photokina - so treat with caution...

If the details are correct, I see this Zenit as a similar branding and marketing exercise to my Hasselblad HV, which is basically a Sony A99 in a body that's very slightly re-designed by Hasselblad and uses a few different materials, released in limited numbers. But it's still just a better-dressed Sony A99

The HV was an abject failure due to the market's early realisation that it was basically a re-clothed A99, sold for four times the price (initially, at least). Let's hope the Zenit-M fares better. I think it might, primarily due to domestic interest...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 10-02-2018 at 02:03 PM.
10-02-2018, 01:37 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Apparently the Zenit-M is very similar to the M240 internally...
And externally as well.

Steve
10-02-2018, 01:42 PM   #19
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
And externally as well.

Steve
It has the "KMZ" factory logo on the top plate. I think that's the design input they were describing. So, you know it's definitely a Zenit...

Actually, that's the biggest issue I have with it. That logo used to mean that the product, for better or worse, came out of the KMZ plant. Now, it's just a brand I realise that's happening all over the industry (including "Pentax" as a brand of "Ricoh")... but I can still bitch and moan a little, can't I?

10-02-2018, 02:02 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Chetverovod Quote
Hi, Lesmore49!
In press release was said that sales in Europe will begin in December, in Russia in January. Price will be 5000..6000 euro. Only 500 units will be manufactured.
Well that lets me out..both in price and the fact I don't live in either Europe or Russia. Anything that Leica has it's hand in, is bound to be pricey. I was hoping for a deal...price wise...but of curse it if it was going for thousands less than a Leica M 240...it would severely undercut Leica Rangefinder sales.

Thx for the info. That Zenit looks very nice in the photographs.

---------- Post added 10-02-18 at 04:14 PM ----------

Apparently, "Zenit" was responsible for the external design, and Leica for everything else, including the assembly which is taking place alongside the M10 at Wetzlar. Apparently the Zenit-M is very similar to the M240 internally...

These aren't confirmed facts, but re-iteration of news gathered from other sources at Photokina - so treat with caution...

If the details are correct, I see this Zenit as a similar branding and marketing exercise to my Hasselblad HV, which is basically a Sony A99 in a body that's very slightly re-designed by Hasselblad and uses a few different materials, released in limited numbers. But it's still just a better-dressed Sony A99

The HV was an abject failure due to the market's early realisation that it was basically a re-clothed A99, sold for four times the price (initially, at least). Let's hope the Zenit-M fares better. I think it might, primarily due to domestic interest...
Thx for the info. I agree with your assessment of the Zenit RF.

This Zenit Rangefinder is very intriguing to me and I wonder if it will be simply a one off, or lead to other cameras (hopefully less expensive) in the future. I guess we shall see.

I've had an interest in Eastern European mechanical devices since the mid 1960's, when my first three vehicles were of Czechoslovakian manufacture...a '65 Jawa 50cc scooter, a '65 CZ 125cc motorcycle and then a '66 125cc CZ motorcycle. All were well built, older designs that I found reliable and durable and got me around fairly well as a teenager, even a few trips into a neighbouring state, Minnesota.
10-02-2018, 02:24 PM - 1 Like   #21
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Thx for the info. I agree with your assessment of the Zenit RF.

This Zenit Rangefinder is very intriguing to me and I wonder if it will be simply a one off, or lead to other cameras (hopefully less expensive) in the future. I guess we shall see.

I've had an interest in Eastern European mechanical devices since the mid 1960's, when my first three vehicles were of Czechoslovakian manufacture...a '65 Jawa 50cc scooter, a '65 CZ 125cc motorcycle and then a '66 125cc CZ motorcycle. All were well built, older designs that I found reliable and durable and got me around fairly well as a teenager, even a few trips into a neighbouring state, Minnesota.
I love older Eastern European and especially Soviet products. Ruggedness typically takes priority over aesthetics and finish, simplicity and ease of maintenance over innovative complexity. I like that a lot.

I realise I may be in a minority when I say this, but... If the KMZ facility had released even a relatively modest digital camera in one of it's original mounts - M39 rangefinder ("L39"), M39 DSLR, M42, or Russian "K" mount - but with the same kind of rugged, utilitarian build and finish we saw on its products from the 1950s through 1980s (some of the 1990s stuff was getting a little plasticky ), I'd have been sorely tempted. Really, I would
10-02-2018, 02:28 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's been suggested that Leica had a lot (500?) sub-assemblies for the M240 that were useless once the M10 came out. Perhaps there's a motive there somewhere?

10-02-2018, 02:43 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

I love older Eastern European and especially Soviet products. Ruggedness typically takes priority over aesthetics and finish, simplicity and ease of maintenance over innovative complexity. I like that a lot.

I realise I may be in a minority when I say this, but... If the KMZ facility had released even a relatively modest digital camera in one of it's original mounts - M39 rangefinder ("L39"), M39 DSLR, M42, or Russian "K" mount - but with the same kind of rugged, utilitarian build and finish we saw on its products from the 1950s through 1980s (some of the 1990s stuff was getting a little plasticky ), I'd have been sorely tempted. Really, I would
I really like my post war German Leica 11f . It's also a very simple camera, rugged in design, easy to use...except to change/load film ...which is not quick, but once the film canister is in the camera and the end of the film leader connected...nothing is better protected. My Leitz Elmar 50mm F 3.5 collapsible is very easy to use and the manual focus rangefinder system is quick and accurate.

A modern digital rangefinder similar to my Leica 11f/ Elmar combo...made of similar materials and more shutter speeds than my 11f/ addition of an internal light meter and it could be an ASP-C or Full Frame sensor...would make a wonderful every day carry camera unit. Manual focusing not an issue, with the tried and true RF system.

But as you say, made in Eastern Europe/Russia to a reasonable price.