Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
10-20-2018, 05:49 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
(rabbit trail)

I've never understood the need to sharpen up birds to the point that you can see every little feather detail. Even if your lens is sharp enough to allow that, that isn't the way birds look when you view them through binoculars. I guess it is just about proving whose lens is sharpest.
You pointed out the trail, I apologize but I'm now running down it!

As per your binocular comparison, I'm now imagining a bird-photo exhibit that mimics the real-life bird viewing experience. Even though the exhibit is devoid of other visitors, you'll still have to wait 3 hours to get in, crouching uncomfortably in a small box the entire time. For atmosphere, it's kept at 8C, the sprinkler system turns on at random intervals and the ground can be covered in smooth rocks (that are nice and slippy from the sprinklers). Black flies and mosquitoes will be released in the gallery.

All the photos would be hidden behind the jabbiest bushes you can find, and once you get through them to actually see the photos, the photos are on pulleys and a yanked out of your view. It's ok though, they're all somewhat out of focus images of bird-bums that are flying away from you, so you wouldn't see much anyway. Somewhere in the show, or so you saw in the promotional material, is a photo of the elusive ivory-billed, purple-rumped, cackling warbler that your friend's cousin really, really saw three weeks ago. You'll want to set aside several hours to find it.

There will be a single ultrasharp and detailed photo not on a pulley system, it's lying on the ground next to an exterior window. On your way out through the gift shop, you'll pass through an area of long artificial grass filled with non-artificial ticks. To top things off, your vehicle in the parking lot will have been broken into- thieves having learned that wildlife folk often leave their rides unattended for long periods of time and sometimes have expensive optics on offer.

Any interest in absorbing yourself in the authentic birding experience?

10-20-2018, 06:09 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
You pointed out the trail, I apologize but I'm now running down it!

As per your binocular comparison, I'm now imagining a bird-photo exhibit that mimics the real-life bird viewing experience. Even though the exhibit is devoid of other visitors, you'll still have to wait 3 hours to get in, crouching uncomfortably in a small box the entire time. For atmosphere, it's kept at 8C, the sprinkler system turns on at random intervals and the ground can be covered in smooth rocks (that are nice and slippy from the sprinklers). Black flies and mosquitoes will be released in the gallery.

All the photos would be hidden behind the jabbiest bushes you can find, and once you get through them to actually see the photos, the photos are on pulleys and a yanked out of your view. It's ok though, they're all somewhat out of focus images of bird-bums that are flying away from you, so you wouldn't see much anyway. Somewhere in the show, or so you saw in the promotional material, is a photo of the elusive ivory-billed, purple-rumped, cackling warbler that your friend's cousin really, really saw three weeks ago. You'll want to set aside several hours to find it.

There will be a single ultrasharp and detailed photo not on a pulley system, it's lying on the ground next to an exterior window. On your way out through the gift shop, you'll pass through an area of long artificial grass filled with non-artificial ticks. To top things off, your vehicle in the parking lot will have been broken into- thieves having learned that wildlife folk often leave their rides unattended for long periods of time and sometimes have expensive optics on offer.

Any interest in absorbing yourself in the authentic birding experience?
I knew there was a reason that I don't do birding.

I guess I just find that modern photography's tendency is to turn everything up to 11 and this feels akin to landscapes where saturation, sharpening are bumped up to max levels. There is no right or wrong in photography, but I do wish for a bit more gentle processing.
10-20-2018, 07:21 AM - 1 Like   #18
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Let's keep it civil and try to stay on topic folks.