Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2018, 03:15 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thrift Store - Leitz Wentzlar Summicron 50mm -

I bought a Leitz Wentzlar 50mm F/2 lens from a thrift store for about $10 (pictures attached), serial no. 2160180. The focus ring seems stuck, but I see online that there may have been an attachment to it. The iris works fine, and I see quite a few blades in there. Does anyone know anything about the lens, including whether there IS an attachment that causes the focus to work, or whether the focus engages only when attached to a camera? Thanks!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 8 Plus  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 8 Plus  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 8 Plus  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 8 Plus  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 8 Plus  Photo 
10-16-2018, 04:07 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Oh wow! That's a score. That's what is known as a Dual Range Summicron. The attachment you mention is for goggles that allowed for close distance focusing on a Leica M3. The focus ring should turn from infinity to 1m without the attachment.

More info here
https://www.cameraquest.com/m50dr.htm

Last edited by Swift1; 10-16-2018 at 04:14 PM.
10-16-2018, 04:57 PM - 1 Like   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Good grief!! That's gorgeous. Beautiful condition, too. What a deal!
10-16-2018, 05:06 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I know...now I just have to figure out whether just to sell it, get an adapter, or have it repaired and then sell it....

10-16-2018, 06:21 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I can't tell as you don't show a shot of the top of the lens (flat surface near the mount), but it is probably just shifted to the close focus range, where it won't allow the focus to turn without the adapter ("goggles") in place. If so, there will be a tab on the focus ring positioned like this:
Name:  Close1.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  80.9 KB
and it needs to be shifted to the normal focus range. To do so pull the focus ring out away from the lens mount so the tab can slip past the stop block:
Name:  Close2.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  103.4 KB
And then it should turn freely in the normal focus range:
Name:  Close3.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  95.7 KB
This was one of the best 50mm lenses of the 1950s, and still performs well on digital. In good shape they usually sell for $1K or more.
10-16-2018, 07:07 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

What a score!

Its a DR (dual range) summicron.
As mentioned, it can be as much as about $1k.
I had one before, but I sold it as I don't find it any better than the other 50mm lenses I have for the cost.
Performance wise, its better than many lenses in its time, but I find that later lenses catch up or are better.
The Canon 50/1.4 ltm for example beats this lens for much less.

Its unique for the build in helicoid extension which allows it to focus closer (sort of like a build in extension tube).
A big deal for RF lenses since they usually have minimum focus distances of ~1m.
This was another reason why this feature was not so impressive for me as the SLR 50's already focus nearer without this and I was using other RF lenses on a A7 with Hawk's helicoid adapter which already allows this same close focus.

As mentioned by Tom_B, it might just be in the close focus position.
IIRC, you can move back the helicoid by depressing the ball on the top and turning the helicoid.
10-16-2018, 07:59 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
What a score!

Its a DR (dual range) summicron.
As mentioned, it can be as much as about $1k.
I had one before, but I sold it as I don't find it any better than the other 50mm lenses I have for the cost.
Performance wise, its better than many lenses in its time, but I find that later lenses catch up or are better.
The Canon 50/1.4 ltm for example beats this lens for much less.

Its unique for the build in helicoid extension which allows it to focus closer (sort of like a build in extension tube).
A big deal for RF lenses since they usually have minimum focus distances of ~1m.
This was another reason why this feature was not so impressive for me as the SLR 50's already focus nearer without this and I was using other RF lenses on a A7 with Hawk's helicoid adapter which already allows this same close focus.

As mentioned by Tom_B, it might just be in the close focus position.
IIRC, you can move back the helicoid by depressing the ball on the top and turning the helicoid.
Bah. I think the helicoid is stuck. I read someplace about this lens that it is a definite "NO GO" in terms of opening it up and seeing what might be stuck.

---------- Post added 10-16-18 at 08:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Also, I just noticed that the leather case for it, also in perfect condition, says "E. Leitz Wetzlar" on the bottom, and "Germany."

10-16-2018, 10:25 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jawats Quote
Bah. I think the helicoid is stuck. I read someplace about this lens that it is a definite "NO GO" in terms of opening it up and seeing what might be stuck.

---------- Post added 10-16-18 at 08:02 PM ----------

Also, I just noticed that the leather case for it, also in perfect condition, says "E. Leitz Wetzlar" on the bottom, and "Germany."
I think you can sell the leather case and easily cover back the cost of your lens.
10-17-2018, 01:32 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

According to its serial number your lens was manufactured in 1966.