Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-31-2018, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
$10,000 for the new GFX-100.
So it is going to be super niche camera.

QuoteQuote:
Fuji will have 3 GFX bodies by this time next year. The 50R will be selling for close to $3,000 before long. The 50S will probably come down under $5,000 soon enough. The cost of manufacturing sensors has fallen considerably in the last 5 years and is going to continue to fall. Most photographers don't own a dozen lenses. I had 3 for may Contax 645 and that is all I needed for the work that I did. I eventually bought 3 more, but only after the system has been discontinued and I got them for 1/3 of their original price.
50r and 50s is not going to give any advantages over FF for most users, especially since there is no fast lenses for Fuji MF. The performance of the 50MP sensor is not a lot better than the newer FF sensor available.

QuoteQuote:
Just as the cost of FF has fallen by significantly over the years, you are going to see crop MF come down in price. The sensor really isn't a whole lot bigger than a FF sensor.
That is the problem. As the sensor is not much bigger, you will not gain alot by choosing MF crop format. But you might loose some significant advantages of an wider spread format with a much higher sales volume. FF is just a much more flexible system for a large majority of the users.

Things like more capable AF, higher frame rate and larger selection of lenses at a wider price range is more important to most users, than a small potential IQ advantage of an already excellent IQ.

QuoteQuote:
Fuji MF lenses are pricey, but so are their APS-C lenses. Relative to other MF lenses though, Fuji is not that expensive. How do Fuji MF lenses compare to premium FF lenses from Leica or Zeiss? Still less expensive.
Fuji MF lenses are mainly slow f/2.8 prime lenses that are equivalent of f/2.2 FF lenses. Fuji would have to release alot faster lenses for it to be a real alternative for FF. But these lenses would end up too expensive to be able to be an alternative for FF, for all but a small group of users.

QuoteQuote:
I think a 25MP mode (4 pixel binning) would give you the best low-light/ high ISO performance on the market by a large margin. Its basically giving you pixel shift level performance but in a single image so it works with moving subjects. 25MP is also the sweet spot for a lot of working professionals in the wedding and portrait industry. People shooting events where they can't control lighting and they need really high ISO with fast AF, but don't need massive RAW files.
Fuji MF will not have any low light advantage over FF until they have released alot faster lenses. But these lenses would be way too expensive for all but a few users. Just as a USD 10k camera is.

QuoteQuote:
I think we are a generation or two away, but once the secondary market for Fuji MF starts to get bigger you are going to see a lot more people using it.
For the secondary to grow they first need to sell a lot of MF systems, which is going to take time.

05-15-2021, 02:09 PM   #17
Forum Member

FujiFilm

I started out with Fujica ST-605N being my first SLR.

But sadly by the time I had outgrown it. (still screw mount - Film) there was NO upward path.

So then I started looking to move. It came down to the Nikon FM-2 & the Pentax MX, both had a path to the next level.

Well both camera systems being pretty much equal .. the last part was the Cost of the body & Lens.

The Pentax MX was hand down the least costly. So then that began my Love affair with Pentax.

Of course Now I am now shooting a DSLR, a Pentax K3 - II.

Duane