Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
11-07-2018, 03:10 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DSLRs of the Year, 2018

B&H has an article which begins
QuoteOriginally posted by B&H:
It has been a tough year for DSLR development, especially with the meteoric rise in popularity of mirrorless cameras, and in respect to the booming 2017 that saw the introduction of the still-hard-to-get Nikon D8500 the popular Nikon D7500, Canon EOS 77D, and the Rebel T7i.Nonetheless, DSLRs are still alive and kicking, and 2018 saw the release of two very different cameras—one entry level and one flagship full-frame model.
They then talk about the Nikon D3500 and the Pentax K-1ii, saying very positive things about what the 'accelerator' accomplishes.
DSLRs of the Year, 2018 | B&H Explora

11-07-2018, 03:53 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by B&H:
.... the meteoric rise in popularity of mirrorless cameras....
LOL! Given that a meteor is a very short-lived ugly lump of rock that is going down in flames, I wonder if this statement is an ironic comment on the hype.
11-08-2018, 01:17 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
LOL! Given that a meteor is a very short-lived ugly lump of rock that is going down in flames, I wonder if this statement is an ironic comment on the hype.
Been around discussing with local shops. Truly, the sales of new Z and R mirrorless models are shocking low. Even if I was looking to buy a new camera model, I would wait for a while until I can see what lens mount survives. To me it looks like sales of cameras are low regarding of the camera, simply because people don't buy a new system when they are content with their current system no matter if it is with or without a mirror. I wouldn't say that mirroless models are DOA, but I do feel like sales are about the same as DSLR, simply depending on user preference / comfort with the kind of viewfinder.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 11-08-2018 at 01:22 AM.
11-10-2018, 09:16 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
The reason I posted this is that Pentax got some good free publicity. In general, they seem to be largely unknown in the West. A few days ago, at another forum someone started a thread saying in essence "I hear a lot about Canon and Nikon here - why not more about Pentax?" and one of the responses was an apparently honest "My first camera was a Spotmatic which I loved, but I didn't know Pentax is still in business."

11-10-2018, 04:21 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
but I didn't know Pentax is still in business
Yes,they got taken over.

Ricoh preserves the name for the time being,maybe forever?

---------- Post added 11-11-18 at 10:24 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Truly, the sales of new Z and R mirrorless models are shocking low.
Some fanbois got them!
11-11-2018, 01:58 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Some fanbois got them!
I talk directly to camera shop owners. After he introduced the Nikon Z and EOS R, no one came to buy. After a month, the shop owner started to get anxious about lack of interest in those two new models (Z7 and EOS R) so decided to organize a special event via social media and telling people that he has the Nikon Z and EOS R in stock, I was there the only guy, no one else came LoL. It's truly depressing. Globally, the sales of Z and EOS R are about the same as the Pentax K1 when it was introduced: considering Canon and Nikon have about 70% market share, selling mirrorless model at the rate of Pentax K1, is for Canon and Nikon not successful. Maybe they'll do better when they feature 2 card slots and better AF and frame rates, but for the time being, Z7 and EOS R sales must be worrying for Nikon and Canon.
11-11-2018, 02:04 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I was there the only guy, no one else came LoL.
You must be a FanBoi, did you buy both?

11-11-2018, 02:13 AM   #8
Pentaxian

You must be a FanBoi, did you buy both?
I always consider other camera models, but since I have a K1 , I haven't been convince by the specs of those new mirrorless systems. Not saying Z and EOS R are bad systems, but my K1 has two card slots and if I would spend money into another camera product, I could still get Pentax K1 Mark II for a fraction of the cost, I'd still have two SD cards and still have top of class image quality. The problem is, EOSR and Z are weak for autofocus tracking, and they both are more expensive than my K1, and the portfolio of natives lenses of Z and RF mount is not as good as Pentax. Maybe in a couple of years those systems will be more competitive, but for the time being they are not.
11-11-2018, 02:22 AM   #9
Pentaxian

The problem is, EOSR and Z are weak for autofocus tracking, and they both are more expensive than my K1, and the portfolio of natives lenses is not as good as Pentax. Maybe in a couple of years those systems will be more competitive, but for the time being they are not.
Yes, those issues have to be corrected....the adapters work that CaNik have,lenses from the Dslr range work.Refinements will make both systems competitive.

As far as 2 card slots, read the manuals and you will realise why theres only 1 slot.
11-11-2018, 03:43 AM   #10
Pentaxian

As far as 2 card slots, read the manuals and you will realise why theres only 1 slot.
you mean something like that: No Nikon Z7 & Z6 Dual Cards Slots - [EVERYTHING EXPLAINED]
11-11-2018, 04:19 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, those issues have to be corrected....the adapters work that CaNik have,lenses from the Dslr range work.Refinements will make both systems competitive.

Basically they said the XQD cards are bigger and so there wasn't space for dual slots?

It still feels like a bit of a fail. Professionals need/want two slots and if you couldn't put two XQD slots in, two UHS II slots would be fast enough. For hobby photographers, the speed of XQD isn't particularly needed and having the ability to buy cheaper cards would probably be appreciated. Nikon can have all the reasons in the world not to have two slots, but at the least, the Z7 should have had it. If you are going to buy a 3400 dollar camera and not have that as an option, it feels like a bad decision on their part. I bet they figure out how to get them into the next generation camera, even if they have to make the camera bigger by a few millimeters.
11-11-2018, 04:21 AM   #12
Pentaxian

No,that's irrelevant...