Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2018, 06:54 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Ricoh Singlex TLS focusing aids/improvement?

A friend handed me an old Ricoh Singlex TLS m42 camera and I decided to put it into action. It's... serious feeling. But I don't seem so good at focusing it. Using a recently aquired Vivitar (nee Tokina) 35mm f2.8 prime, I have been focusing on various static items (lamps, tables, the cat) and checking what it says on the distance scale and comparing to my estimate of the real distance. I'm finding that my results aren't so repeatable and accuracy doesn't seem so great.

The TLS focusing screen has a microprism center. There's not split-prism to it, just the hex markings that should disappear when the item I'm focusing on becomes in focus. The viewfinder doesn't seem too bad but it's not especially bright.

Is there a split-prism focusing screen out there I could swap into this camera? If not, is there some recommended way to get a magnifying eyepiece onto this camera? Maybe even both might be nice? I did some internet searching this afternoon and I didn't turn up a lot of options. I also think that this camera requires the top deck to be removed to remove the focusing screen which I'm not against but I would want a repair manual for guidance should that be the best route forward.

Curious what people here would recommend.

11-17-2018, 08:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good luck in your quest. The basic camera manual can be found here:
ricoh singlex on-line camera manual, instruction
11-19-2018, 10:03 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
It looks like both of my Ricoh film cameras can accept viewfinder accessories via the slots "cut" into the outside of the viewfinder extension tube on the camera. I'm wondering if the Pentax O-ME53 magnifier could be mounted to my Singlex by simply sliding it on. Has anyone tried the O-ME53 or similar magnifier on Ricoh film cameras? This might be much easier than I anticipated.
04-01-2019, 10:20 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
It looks like both of my Ricoh film cameras can accept viewfinder accessories via the slots "cut" into the outside of the viewfinder extension tube on the camera. I'm wondering if the Pentax O-ME53 magnifier could be mounted to my Singlex by simply sliding it on. Has anyone tried the O-ME53 or similar magnifier on Ricoh film cameras? This might be much easier than I anticipated.
Maybe...The Singlex TLS may accept the "M" viewfinder accessories compatible with all Pentax SLRs from the M-series forward. However, while the accessory may slide on, the actual viewfinder opening is shorter on the Pentax cameras. It might also be noted that it is also not compatible with accessories made for K-series or M42 Pentax bodies.

Steve