Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2018, 05:21 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
$$$ony A7000?

Next month there is an announcement by Sony,its highly likely the next Apsc.

Rumoured specs

twenty something BSI sensor

faster AF

the new 5.6million dot EVF

probably using A7 body,so centre evf and the bigger battery

4K 60p internal recording with Slog

5axis stabilised with some WR(maybe a lot better than some past Sony bodies?)

Along with some new glass.

obviously aimed at competing with the XT-3

12-25-2018, 05:55 PM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

If this is true, it's an interesting - yet, in some ways, not unpredictable - move for Sony. Given the competition from Canon and especially Nikon (as well as Panasonic in the near future) in the full-frame mirrorless market, perhaps Sony sees benefit in showing more love for their APS-C customers with an all-new model...

I wonder how they'll manage to price it attractively enough to attract sufficient customers, particularly if it no longer has the physical size benefit of the A6xxx series...
12-25-2018, 06:24 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
wonder how they'll manage to price it attractively enough to attract sufficient customers, particularly if it no longer has the physical size benefit of the A6xxx series...
My guess is a bit below 1500U$,it shouldnt have the overheating probs of the A6*** series either.Its a new sensor,I'm wondering if its same as fujis?....It'll be fast for sure,the body may be new?lots of guessing at the moment.

India won the toss and are IN.
12-25-2018, 06:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Interesting to consider whether it's the same sensor as in the KP or K-70. It may be one generation newer also.

12-25-2018, 09:22 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HarisF1 Quote
It may be one generation newer also.
It will be,BSI capable of high frame rates....theres speculation calling it a mini A9, but have to wait and see.There are some rumours that are very accurate and some that are not close to the mark.
12-26-2018, 07:12 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Interesting. I'm keeping an eye out on this.
12-26-2018, 07:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
It will be,BSI capable of high frame rates....theres speculation calling it a mini A9, but have to wait and see.There are some rumours that are very accurate and some that are not close to the mark.
They better have some good glass to go with it. Sony ASP-C lens line-up is pretty sad.

12-26-2018, 07:50 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Supposed to be some new crop glass
12-29-2018, 09:23 AM   #9
Veteran Member

(SR5) Specs of the new "Sony IMX510" 32 Megapixel APS-C sensor - sonyalpharumors sonyalpharumors
12-29-2018, 01:34 PM   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Man, that thing is going to be brutally unforgiving of lens performance, image stabilisation and the photographer's hand-held technique. For the same pixel density on full frame we'd need approximately a 76MP sensor, right?

I've long since settled on 24MP as a maximum requirement for me on APS-C. In fact, I'm happiest with 24MP full frame and 10MP APS-C for my own use cases, which both have the same pixel density. I notice the difference when I use older lenses on my 24MP K-3 and K-3II. I can see the flaws in sharpness and aberrations more readily.

That said, for tripod-based shooting with lenses that are optically up to the task, the detail from this new (rumoured) sensor should be breath-taking.

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Supposed to be some new crop glass
Yup, they're gonna need it!
12-30-2018, 12:32 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Man, that thing is going to be brutally unforgiving of lens performance, image stabilisation and the photographer's hand-held technique. For the same pixel density on full frame we'd need approximately a 76MP sensor, right?

I've long since settled on 24MP as a maximum requirement for me on APS-C. In fact, I'm happiest with 24MP full frame and 10MP APS-C for my own use cases, which both have the same pixel density. I notice the difference when I use older lenses on my 24MP K-3 and K-3II. I can see the flaws in sharpness and aberrations more readily.

That said, for tripod-based shooting with lenses that are optically up to the task, the detail from this new (rumoured) sensor should be breath-taking.

Yup, they're gonna need it!
They are going to have to improve the IBIS. The higher the pixel density the more of a challenge it is to shoot handheld and get sharp images. There are rumors of 100MP FF sensors, but I don't know how practical that is. If my math is right the 100MP sensor in the coming Fuji GFX-100 and you hit that 70MP +/- FF +sensor, so this 32MP APS-C is probably coming off the same wafer. A high speed 70+ MP FF sensor would be pretty amazing in an A9r.