Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-05-2019, 11:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Canon EOS-R Lenses

As many as 7 new RF lenses coming in 2019 [CR2] | Canon Rumors

I don't find the Canon EOS-R very appealing, but I do like the lenses Canon is apparently working on. I would buy Fuji or Olympus before going back to Canon and the new Panasonic FF looks very interesting.

01-05-2019, 12:00 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I don't find the Canon EOS-R very appealing, but I do like the lenses Canon is apparently working on. I would buy Fuji or Olympus before going back to Canon and the new Panasonic FF looks very interesting.
Yes, it's interesting. New products are often better, everything gets better over time, cameras, lenses, video. So many new products to buy after the creation of new lens mounts and now four brands offering mirrorless , 3 of them with new mounts (that's more than the 3 leading brand I knew when digital cameras were booming). It's going to be a problem, regardless of how good are the new camera and lenses, because I don't see myself buying a new system every two years, and a lot of folks have a lower budget than mine. When I consider buying a new system, I am very concerned that I looked carrefully at photographs from former Pentaxians who have switched to another brand and I did not see better images, and that tells me that if I switch now, it's just going to be a waste of money. I even surprised myself, seeing an very beautiful image, it was such beautiful that I was sure it was taken with a Sony, right? ... when I clicked on the exif, the exif said "Camera: Pentax K1"! That's when I realized I'd rather switch off the marketing channel for a while and keep using my Pentax system.

---------- Post added 05-01-19 at 20:15 ----------

There is a recent vlog from Northrup about all the new camera and lenses rumored expected in 2019. That's a lot to buy, be prepared to spend $20 000 in new equipment, I just hope it's going to improve your image by the same amount Spending 100 times less on a photography workshop is going to bring some of your photographic works to the next level that you couldn't even reach buying all of the new camera systems.
01-05-2019, 12:18 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Fujifilm has some great gear. The Olympus range with their teeny weeny 4/3 sensors is of no interest to me. As for FF, I don't have the funds to invest in a new Canon, Nikon or Panasonic kit. I just have too many K mount lenses for that. Perhaps a Z6 with K mount adapter, if one is available. I don't see that happening though. I would rather have a K-1, but I can't justify the expense for the amount of use it will see.
01-05-2019, 02:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Fujifilm has some great gear. The Olympus range with their teeny weeny 4/3 sensors is of no interest to me. As for FF, I don't have the funds to invest in a new Canon, Nikon or Panasonic kit. I just have too many K mount lenses for that. Perhaps a Z6 with K mount adapter, if one is available. I don't see that happening though. I would rather have a K-1, but I can't justify the expense for the amount of use it will see.
The 4/3 sensors are more than adequate for most work. The Sony sensor used in the Olympus OMD-EM1II is good enough to match or even exceed the results of the Canon APS-C sensor found the the professional grade Canon 7DII. If you are printing to a common portrait size like 8x10 the 4/3 sensor fits better with less cropping compared to the 3/2 format and the difference between a 1.7 crop found in the Canon and the 2.0 found in the OMD-EM1II is pretty irrelevant. If you're not printing any you're just an Instagram photographer, then M4/3 much bigger than what you need.

01-05-2019, 02:19 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting the focus on fast lenses. In the past, MILCs have been about small package size, but with most of these lenses (16-35 f2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 and 105 f1.4) the camera/lens package is going to be huge, regardless of if the camera body isn't.

With the performance we see with modern full frame sensors, I wish more companies would get top end f4 zooms onto the market.
01-05-2019, 03:16 PM   #6
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
As many as 7 new RF lenses coming in 2019 [CR2] | Canon Rumors

That is interesting that they're focusing on the faster, 'pro'-oriented lineup first. Where as Nikon is going for the more 'enthusiast' oriented lineup first.

The Nikkor Z 70-200 f/2.8 is supposed to be the size of a 24-70 f/2.8 DSLR lens. That's small comparatively. Essentially a 70-200 f/4 dslr lens sized f/2.8 lens! The Nikkor Z 14-30 f/4 is said to accept 77 or 82mm ring filters and looks like an APS-C 10-20mm lens in size. Again small for Full frame optics. I wonder if Canon will work on this too or they'll be bazookas like their 28-70 f/2?

Regardless, it shows Mirrorless is here to stay and will become an even larger portion of the market over time.

Last edited by mee; 01-05-2019 at 03:23 PM.
01-05-2019, 11:05 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
That is interesting that they're focusing on the faster, 'pro'-oriented lineup first. Where as Nikon is going for the more 'enthusiast' oriented lineup first.
That's no because of "pro" nor "not pro". That's a choice based on adoption factors for the mirrorless systems and capabilities of Canon vs Nikon. Canon have chosen faster lenses to help on AF with more light and also provide a lens advantage of using an EOS R over DSLR (users can mount EF lenses on EOS R, but they can't mount an RF lens on a DSLR, offering better RF lenses give an incentive for customer to get an EOS R). Nikon have chosen to provide the better sensors from Sony, and the compactness of slower lenses. Canon and Nikon try to differentiate from each other to avoid direct price competition. Everything makes sense from a business standpoint.

---------- Post added 06-01-19 at 07:10 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Interesting the focus on fast lenses. In the past, MILCs have been about small package size, but with most of these lenses (16-35 f2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 and 105 f1.4) the camera/lens package is going to be huge, regardless of if the camera body isn't.
Size was a "trojan horse" argument at the time of Sony being sole FF mirrorless player, but size isn't going to be a selling proposition anymore, because it happens that the sensor format decides of the overall size of the equipment regardless of the camera being DSLR or MILC.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 01-05-2019 at 11:38 PM.
01-06-2019, 04:17 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote

The Nikkor Z 70-200 f/2.8 is supposed to be the size of a 24-70 f/2.8 DSLR lens. That's small comparatively. Essentially a 70-200 f/4 dslr lens sized f/2.8 lens! The Nikkor Z 14-30 f/4 is said to accept 77 or 82mm ring filters and looks like an APS-C 10-20mm lens in size. Again small for Full frame optics. I wonder if Canon will work on this too or they'll be bazookas like their 28-70 f/2?

Regardless, it shows Mirrorless is here to stay and will become an even larger portion of the market over time.
I guess we'll see. Having mirrorless doesn't change the size a lens has to be -- size of sensor covered, registration distance, and how much sharpness you need edge to edge. I know Nikon and Canon are using Fresnel lens designs to shrink size of telephotos, but I hadn't heard of them using it for zooms. Regardless, lens design for the F mount and Z mount shouldn't be significantly different and you should be able to create a 70-200 for the F mount that is a little smaller than one for the Z mount because the registration distance is longer.
02-04-2019, 06:14 AM   #9
JPT
Pentaxian

Wow! Five lenses about to be released, including trio of f2.8 zooms.

?????????5??RF?????? - ????info

That's a serious effort, even if the initial bodies aren't that impressive.
02-04-2019, 08:09 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Wow! Five lenses about to be released, including trio of f2.8 zooms.

?????????5??RF?????? - ????info

That's a serious effort, even if the initial bodies aren't that impressive.
Yes. I was just about to post this. the new 85mm F/1.2 is going to be a big deal to the melted bokeh people. Canon had better launch a more professional body in the near future as well.