Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
01-16-2019, 08:44 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, I really want to get a drone, but I also like to shoot sporting clays. I can probably resist one of the impulses, but not the other.

Great job Lauren.

01-16-2019, 02:52 PM   #17

I got a wee drone last year, so I could learn to pilot them, because I wanted to learn to film with them. Kind of a "Let's wreck the little Cub a few times before we buy the Leerjet, shall we?" thought. So far, I'm not veyer impressed with my piloting, but I'm not 100% sure it's not the cheaper drone contributing to that. I assume it's me, and not the drone, but if it turns out it's the drone, it's gong to be a long learning curve.

---------- Post added 01-16-19 at 03:12 PM ----------

I hadn't watched any of your videos yet... o_o

And I've still only watched one - the first one in Scotland. (we both work at home, and my SO is in a meeting... >.>;

I'm assuming your licenses and professional coolness got you so close to most of those ruins, right? IOW, I shoudn't plan on taking any such footage on my next trip there? I've dedicated the majority of my free time for the next few years into sharpening editing skills and certification, and VFX skills, but now I want to sharpen my drone skills, and be able to fly cool places as well.

On the national parks - is that a "No." or a "Don't pester people or animals."? There's an understandable aspect to it, but it's also shockingly tragic to think I'd never be able to film something like - well, I mean... All of them! Every one I've ever been to has a zillion gorgeous, photogenic faces. That's kind of the point to them, I know - to sit there and be gorgeous and natural and all, but... No aerial footage of them, like ever? Or at least without a Certificate of Coolness?

Ok... On further reflection, the rational side of my brain likes the idea that you would have to jump through a lot of hoops to fly a drone around a national park. The "ME!" side of my brain thinks it should be "Anyone but me should have to jump through a lot of hoops to do it. I'm responsible enough as it is."

While we're at it, can we make these monsters with quads and dirt bikes and ATVs jump through some hoops before destroying my camping vacation? Let me place the hoops. I have ideas... Like... Dead Horse Point, in Utah. Jump through this hoop, dirt-bike-boy... }
01-16-2019, 05:20 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Well, I really want to get a drone, but I also like to shoot sporting clays. I can probably resist one of the impulses, but not the other.
Great job Lauren.
Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by EyeQueue Quote
I got a wee drone last year, so I could learn to pilot them, because I wanted to learn to film with them. Kind of a "Let's wreck the little Cub a few times before we buy the Leerjet, shall we?" thought. So far, I'm not veyer impressed with my piloting, but I'm not 100% sure it's not the cheaper drone contributing to that. I assume it's me, and not the drone, but if it turns out it's the drone, it's gong to be a long learning curve.

---------- Post added 01-16-19 at 03:12 PM ----------

I hadn't watched any of your videos yet... o_o

And I've still only watched one - the first one in Scotland. (we both work at home, and my SO is in a meeting... >.>;

I'm assuming your licenses and professional coolness got you so close to most of those ruins, right? IOW, I shoudn't plan on taking any such footage on my next trip there? I've dedicated the majority of my free time for the next few years into sharpening editing skills and certification, and VFX skills, but now I want to sharpen my drone skills, and be able to fly cool places as well.

On the national parks - is that a "No." or a "Don't pester people or animals."? There's an understandable aspect to it, but it's also shockingly tragic to think I'd never be able to film something like - well, I mean... All of them! Every one I've ever been to has a zillion gorgeous, photogenic faces. That's kind of the point to them, I know - to sit there and be gorgeous and natural and all, but... No aerial footage of them, like ever? Or at least without a Certificate of Coolness?

Ok... On further reflection, the rational side of my brain likes the idea that you would have to jump through a lot of hoops to fly a drone around a national park. The "ME!" side of my brain thinks it should be "Anyone but me should have to jump through a lot of hoops to do it. I'm responsible enough as it is."

While we're at it, can we make these monsters with quads and dirt bikes and ATVs jump through some hoops before destroying my camping vacation? Let me place the hoops. I have ideas... Like... Dead Horse Point, in Utah. Jump through this hoop, dirt-bike-boy... }
National Parks are definitely no-go zones. Too many people in the early days flew their drones into things like hot springs and harassed the wildlife for that to stop almost immediately. To be honest, National Parks - at least the big ones - usually have too many people around and have been photographed to death. Even regular photography in them in restricted.

Knowing the rules allows me to fly places that others would not be able to. There are many places that tend to be grey, and I make sure that I don't cause a scene or become a dronetard if there is a question.

I respect people's privacy, I fly when no one else is around, I do my homework. I get in and get out quickly before most people even know I was there - even when I am 100 legit. I follow the rules and when people realize I am using a drone for artistic methods and not using a drone to fly and be a nuisance, that also helps.

Flipping out my Vimeo account to show what I do also helps.

I could go on and on about what its like to be out in the world with a drone.
Some people love them, some people HATE HATE HATE them.

(Like irrationally HATE)

01-18-2019, 05:32 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I love this style of work, I;m unsure about the title tho... Drone. Drone in times past, was about a background noise, can;t be a way to describe this and such other visions .

This made my day when I first watched it. Your first video reminded me of it.

Thanks so much for sharing.

cmohr

Arrrrrrr

01-18-2019, 07:47 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
I love this style of work, I;m unsure about the title tho... Drone. Drone in times past, was about a background noise, can;t be a way to describe this and such other visions .

This made my day when I first watched it. Your first video reminded me of it.

Klangkarussell - Time - YouTube

Thanks so much for sharing.

cmohr

Arrrrrrr
Cool. I like the "Story" of water from the Glacier to the sea/melting/freezing. Always nice to see footage that tells a story.
01-31-2019, 03:34 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Iceland is great photographic place! What I personally find annoying about lot of these drone videos, is that music. Lot of them has similar house party going on even if there is beautiful landscape in front of your eyes. Maybe it is just me. Perhaps some recorded ambient sound, and more defined music sometimes? not: umph zhaka umph zhakazhaja umph zih... all the way(I’m getting old, I do admit). Don’t get me wrong I like house, techno, electronic music, ect.
01-31-2019, 10:39 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Iceland is great photographic place! What I personally find annoying about lot of these drone videos, is that music. Lot of them has similar house party going on even if there is beautiful landscape in front of your eyes. Maybe it is just me. Perhaps some recorded ambient sound, and more defined music sometimes? not: umph zhaka umph zhakazhaja umph zih... all the way(I’m getting old, I do admit). Don’t get me wrong I like house, techno, electronic music, ect.
Yeah...so many people imitate/emulate Casey N. and put that kind of music into their videos. On the other end of the spectrum is Philip Bloom. I try and stay away from either's "style" and try and do my own thing.

10-09-2019, 11:23 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I am contemplating on buying a small drone for a month long trip to thailand, and the drone that made the shortlist are the spark and the mavic air. I am almost decided on the air (size when folded is a big +). Has any of you any experience with both? is there a reason to change my mind (except the price)? Any other advices are welcome.
10-10-2019, 12:17 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robiles Quote
I am contemplating on buying a small drone for a month long trip to thailand, and the drone that made the shortlist are the spark and the mavic air. I am almost decided on the air (size when folded is a big +). Has any of you any experience with both? is there a reason to change my mind (except the price)? Any other advices are welcome.
The Spark has an inferior gimbal, and only does 1080p.

The Mavic Air (which I travel with) is the go-to drone for traveling since it has a superior gimbal, 100mbit, does 4k and is actually smaller folded.

The Spark is one step above a toy.

L.