Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-15-2019, 08:27 AM   #1

Mamiya 23 with Polaroid Back

Hello All,
I am considering buying this camera. With the polaroid back does this mean the camera will take polaroid 600 film and the photo will develop. While this may seem like an obvious question I have been caught , thinking something was a good deal and not knowing all of the facts.

Thanks
Mike

01-16-2019, 04:17 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would say yes, see this...
01-17-2019, 04:29 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Please, please buy the model with swinging back.
You can either shoot Polaroid, 6x9 sheet film, or 120 roll film in 6x6, 6x7 and 6x9 formats. Maybe there is a 4.5x6 option too, but I'm not sure.
I have the old silver "Super 23", with plenty of accessories, some black lenses from Universal and Polaroid times, a number of backs, and even 6x9 sheet film holders (plus some B&W sheet film, and loads of 120 rolls).
Especially for still life, a movable back opens a whole new world of possibilities...

If you don't find one, or need some particular accessory, feel free to PM me.
The Universal model in the picture had a fixed back, but was equipped with extraordinary wide angles.
The rest of the black lenses are more or less equivalent to the old silver ones, but the old wides are inferior to the newer (black) optics.

cheers
Paolo

Last edited by cyberjunkie; 01-17-2019 at 04:35 AM.
01-17-2019, 06:45 AM   #4
MJL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rml63 Quote
Hello All,
I am considering buying this camera. With the polaroid back does this mean the camera will take polaroid 600 film and the photo will develop. While this may seem like an obvious question I have been caught , thinking something was a good deal and not knowing all of the facts.

Thanks
Mike
If you are thinking about the integrated automatically eject Polaroid 600 pack film which Impossible (call Polaroid Original now) make, it will not.

That Polaroid back is only for peel-away Polaroid or Fujifilm FP type manually pull-out-to-devleop pack film. Both have been out of production now.

Like Cyperjunkie said, it is only good as a 120 film camera now.

01-20-2019, 05:31 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for your replies .

Mike
01-20-2019, 10:07 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
I would say yes, see this...
What a beautiful old Mamiya MF.
01-21-2019, 04:59 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's a pity that Impossible did not manage to re-make the peel-off Polaroid films.
I still have a few, but of course they are long expired.
Unlike B&W material, that is quite impervious to the passing of time if well conserved, Polaroid chemicals go bad with time.
What a pity, really!
If I sell the camera, I will give away some Polaroid stuff for free (holders and films).
Especially with 4x5" cameras, I liked a lot the Polaroids that gave the positive and the negative.
Some of you remember for sure...

The only thing I want to keep is the black 75mm wide angle.
It easily covers 6x12 panoramic frame. Is is quite expensive cause it can be fitted to a Silvestri or any other camera that can use a 6x12cm back.
I even have a nice Polaroid folding (110B if I remember correctly) that could be converted to 4x5", or (even better) to Graflok back, ready to get any standard film back including the relatively cheap chinese-made 9x12 ones...

Here is a page that shows the Mamiya Universal lenses:
http://www.instantphoto.eu/other/mamiya_uni_lens.htm

And here is an example of a Polaroid conversion (many photos, with the camera and different backs):
https://www.flickr.com/photos/option8/3659306529/in/photostream/

Last edited by cyberjunkie; 01-21-2019 at 05:21 AM.