Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2019, 05:48 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Vivitar Series One - Minolta SR? Adaptable? Mount Replacement?

I picked up this Vivitar Series One 70-210 Macro f/3.5 inexpensively, to see if I could tool around with it, or potentially re-sell it. The mount is not Pentax. In y'all's opinion, what do I have here? I suspect it's a manual-focus Minolta, based on the look and the "M/SR" on it. Thoughts? Can it be usefully adapted to a Pentax? Could the mount be removed and replaced with a spare K, with some tinkering?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
01-25-2019, 06:03 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes, Minolta SR. Given the difference in focal flange distance probably non-trivial conversion.
01-25-2019, 07:21 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

It is a great lens worth about $20-30 but if it were a Pentax mount it would have been worth more. You are better selling it off and try to find a Pentax Version because there are so many around.
01-25-2019, 09:25 PM - 1 Like   #4

There's a document on how to retrofit the different mounts on some Kiron / Kino Precision lenses. The lenses were designed so that the entire diaphragm, aperture ring and rear mount assemblies could be changed. Not a trivial procedure although Kiron did offer a service if for some reason you want to change the mount.

Since the only source for parts these days would be another lens of the same model with a different mount why bother? Just find a working lens in the mount you want.

01-26-2019, 10:16 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Minolta mount no use to man or beast as far as pentax is concerned. Ditch the lens... or get a mirrorless camera to play with it with.

Good info here (I think thats a tok hard to tell from the pic):

http://www.boggys.co.uk/page38.html
01-26-2019, 05:59 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use a basic Sony A7 body with adapters for my old SLR lenses, including Pentax, Canon, and Nikon, and it works well. I also have some Minolta, Exakta, Miranda, Mamiya Sekor & such that I should see about A7 adapters for so I can compare them. Adapting to the A7 is a cinch.
01-26-2019, 06:07 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can do it, but you will only get infinity focus on the long end and not the short end. How do I know cuz I did it.