Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2019, 01:37 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thread of shame - Rechipping for Canon Sigma EX 105/2.8

Hello!

This is a sad post I have to make. I just got a Sigma EX 105/2.8 Macro (Non-DG) for Canon EF mount. The lens is clean as a whistle, inside out. A beauty!!!

BUT - the Non-DG version does not do well with "new" canon DSLRs - I have the 450D/XSi which is a 2008 model.

I've seen posts about rechipping lenses or reprogramming lenses. While very handy, I cannot take on this endevour... to which I come to the conclusion and question - is there a go-to-person known to the community (an Eric to the Pentax SLRs) that knows how to rechip these lenses?

I called sigma - they do not service the lens any longer - they stated that the lens is now a "25% cupon" for any lens with focal length across 105mm (prime or zoom) - so if anyone is thinking of buying an Art / S / C Sigma and need a 25% cupon...

All in all, I'd wish to get the lens fixed and usable... I can take shots wide open - (take one and shut down the camera due to the error code), and these shots are really nice...

thanks for any input/

02-08-2019, 01:51 PM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
buy an 'older' Canon?
02-08-2019, 01:55 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
buy an 'older' Canon?
Great minds think alike

I'm actually researching which Canon DSLRs would take SLR EF lenses... not so clear though. I know the lens would work with a Rebel SLR, but I have too many film 35mm cameras on queue at home that have not even been tested.

Further, wife looking at me already like I'm a crazy cat lady (but replace cat with camera... and lady with guy). I have to factor in that a new rescue "kitten" might not be allowed in the household
02-08-2019, 02:22 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
Hello!

This is a sad post I have to make. I just got a Sigma EX 105/2.8 Macro (Non-DG) for Canon EF mount. The lens is clean as a whistle, inside out. A beauty!!!

BUT - the Non-DG version does not do well with "new" canon DSLRs - I have the 450D/XSi which is a 2008 model.

I've seen posts about rechipping lenses or reprogramming lenses. While very handy, I cannot take on this endevour... to which I come to the conclusion and question - is there a go-to-person known to the community (an Eric to the Pentax SLRs) that knows how to rechip these lenses?

I called sigma - they do not service the lens any longer - they stated that the lens is now a "25% cupon" for any lens with focal length across 105mm (prime or zoom) - so if anyone is thinking of buying an Art / S / C Sigma and need a 25% cupon...

All in all, I'd wish to get the lens fixed and usable... I can take shots wide open - (take one and shut down the camera due to the error code), and these shots are really nice...

thanks for any input/
Someone needs to tell Sigma that 2008 is not a "new" model.
At one time I had a 2007 Canon XT, but it died of processor failure, and I'm on my second Pentax since then.
{am I correct in thinking that "DG" means "digital" in Sigma talk - so this was built for a film camera, like the EOS Elan I purchased in 1995???}

02-08-2019, 04:21 PM   #5
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
At one time I had a 2007 Canon XT, but it died of processor failure, and I'm on my second Pentax since then.
{am I correct in thinking that "DG" means "digital" in Sigma talk - so this was built for a film camera, like the EOS Elan I purchased in 1995???}

if I remember correctly, 'DG' implies a full-frame lens, while 'DC' denotes a crop-sensor lens.. in Sigma-speak...
02-08-2019, 05:07 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
if I remember correctly, 'DG' implies a full-frame lens, while 'DC' denotes a crop-sensor lens.. in Sigma-speak...
You know it.. the issue is likely w Canon mount. Apparently in 2003 or so canon dslrs (after the D60) kept the EOS mount from film as before, but changed their internal mechanisms of AF and lens communication.

When sigma serviced the lenses, they'd reprogram the old stock, but since the plain EX is out of commission since 2004, then it is noblonger serviced.

I saw a thread in these forums about rechippimg for K mount, but I didn't dig deep on that one.

I could technically tapeover the contacts in the lens and use it wide open (without the error code that makes me shut down the camera each time)... but that renders me w a wideopen macro.... Artsy at most, maybe good portrait result. Will try tonite.
02-08-2019, 06:24 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

You know it.. the issue is likely w Canon mount. Apparently in 2003 or so canon dslrs (after the D60) kept the EOS mount from film as before, but changed their internal mechanisms of AF and lens communication.

When sigma serviced the lenses, they'd reprogram the old stock, but since the plain EX is out of commission since 2004, then it is noblonger serviced.
So they did this in a way that their old lenses continued to work correctly, but it broke Sigma's reverse engineering? Sneaky

02-08-2019, 07:19 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
So they did this in a way that their old lenses continued to work correctly, but it broke Sigma's reverse engineering? Sneaky
Only a truly capitalist company like them works in these ways (hence why I'm a Pentax-first hobbyist).

From Canon Knowledge Base - Using Non-Canon lenses on a Canon EOS camera. :
Third-party lenses
The makers of third-party accessory lenses are not given this information when Canon introduces new features or improves the performance of its cameras and lenses. It's up to them to continue to "reverse-engineer" their equipment to enable it to continue to work on new EOS bodies as they're developed. Since Canon designs our own processors and all electronics within the body and lens, we have been able to maintain backward compatibility. This is one of the many advantages of choosing a Canon EF lens.When changes in communication result in a third-party lens that now produces errors, it's up to the makers of that lens to update the equipment to work on the EOS camera in question. Again Canon's own EF lenses work without modification.
05-05-2020, 08:15 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Quick update for any who cares, or who runs into somewhat of a similar problem...

I GOT THE SIGMA TO WORK - But on an older Canon camera - Canon D60 (yes, D-60). Bottom line - for EOS 3rd party lenses that are not made post 2003, you need a EOS body that's pre 2003 - the best I could find was the D60, and now, the lens is a stunner!!!

@ f5.6
10-19-2020, 12:19 PM - 2 Likes   #10

The solution Rechip

Just do a search on Google for Sigma Rechip. It is not hard to install this guys rechip and it works like a charm.
I am new here so I was not sure if a link can be posted but you will find his site easy enough. There is free instructions there also so you can see if it works for you.
I did 2 lenses I had and they work perfect now..

Cheers,
Stay safe !

---------- Post added 10-19-20 at 12:24 PM ----------

Hi Hi,
I forgot to mention. on that site he explains why the old lenses dont work.

Regards to the forum
10-20-2020, 07:19 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GarryN Quote
Just do a search on Google for Sigma Rechip. It is not hard to install this guys rechip and it works like a charm.
I am new here so I was not sure if a link can be posted but you will find his site easy enough. There is free instructions there also so you can see if it works for you.
I did 2 lenses I had and they work perfect now..

Cheers,
Stay safe !

---------- Post added 10-19-20 at 12:24 PM ----------

Hi Hi,
I forgot to mention. on that site he explains why the old lenses dont work.

Regards to the forum
Thank you for this info. I found it quite easily... Now, I have experience soldering electronics and such. But for now, I will hold off, as I do not have a newer Canon body (I sold my 450D after the lens working on my D60).

Nevertheless this is good info for future seekers.

Cheers!
12-15-2020, 11:20 PM   #12

Hello!

thanks for any input/
I use a similar type Sigma on a Canon 6D....In manual mode the lens works fine as long as you do not attempt to change the aperture....the quality of the lens is such that this is not much of a problem!
12-16-2020, 06:39 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by golferboy Quote
I use a similar type Sigma on a Canon 6D....In manual mode the lens works fine as long as you do not attempt to change the aperture....the quality of the lens is such that this is not much of a problem!
To use the lens on all apertures (it goes up to f30 or more!) I truly recommend the D60 - it is old, heavy, slow... But the shots I get are awesome - with the Sigma and also with a new-to-me Canon 70-300mm. They're less than $80 honestly can't go wrong.
12-16-2020, 06:51 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Just another reason why buying Sigma is not the same as buying from OEMs. At least there's a solution for the DIY guys, not so much for the rest of us.
12-16-2020, 07:02 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Just another reason why buying Sigma is not the same as buying from OEMs.
I say this with my fingers crossed:

I have not gotten a Sigma I did not treasure...

Sigma 105/2.8 EX Macro for EF (Non DG) - That lens is just amazing - I wish I can test it side by side with a Lester Dine.

Sigma 50/2.8 Macro for PK (Non DG / Non EX) - That lens I could've easily put it up there with the A 50/2.8 Macro - save that the Sigma had a cooler output. I did a number on this lens when trying to 'fix' a very sticky focus barrel issue it developed. Apparently this is their downfall. I'll get another copy as soon as I see one for a steal (just like I acquired my first one).

Sigma 19/2.8 EX DN for M43 - The lens will not blow you away, but it is just perfect for my E-PM1. I got an excellent copy for under $90, so that is also an added bonus for my love. It is fast AF, and just fits perfect for the purpose (I use that camera as a point-and-shoot).

I was very tempted to getting a Mini-Wide or some of those older sigmas, but I've stirred away, maybe wisely.