Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2019, 04:22 PM   #16
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Slow down your speed reading and look at the relevance of my post.
I take your point re the RP and 6D MkII, but honestly, the 6D MkII isn't an unpopular body, despite some of the reviews. It's one of those situations where obsessive review-site measurements don't tally with real buyers and photographers. Lots of folks are doing very well indeed with the 6DMkII and even the previous version. Looking at the RP, it might have the same sensor performance, but offers a reasonably-priced entry into Canon's full-frame mirrorless world. As a first-generation camera without IBIS, it's probably of interest mostly to existing Canon users, either as a step up from APS-C into full frame, or as a backup or addition body to Canon full frame DSLR or R mirrorless users. But this is first generation stuff. A next-generation RP with IBIS could be a far more appealing proposition for those even outside the brand looking at mirrorless options...

I know ya gotta look at a lot of threads,you deserve a raise!
Ha ha Thanks... you're a gentleman But at twice or three times my pay rate, I'd be just as badly remunerated (sadly)

02-16-2019, 06:02 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
We know both Sony and Canon are marketing machines, but Sony's name recognition is probably far above Canon's with younger people, that have grown up with Play Station, Sony Entertainment, and all types of electronics. I would bet that a lot of Sony's customers come from these younger buyers. Some first time buyers will buy into a brand they have some familiarity with, I've done that before when there wasn't a lot of perceived difference. I think Sony will continue to gain market because of that. More seasoned buyers will do more research and choose the systems that fit their needs, which is how brands like Pentax and Olympus make sales. This is my opinion only, I don't have any type of stats to say it's factual.
02-16-2019, 06:20 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
My point being, Canon is already in the market with two bodies
Sorry to backtrack Mike

Lesmores report of the info he received about Nikon outselling Canon in M/L FF since the release last year is what I commented back to him about.Nikon have had 2 bodies in the market place but in the same period Canon has only the one choice the R.The RIP isnt in the market place but maybe available on preorder since the 14th.
That speed reading needs to shift down another gear or 2.
02-16-2019, 06:28 PM   #19
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry to backtrack Mike

Lesmores report of the info he received about Nikon outselling Canon in M/L FF since the release last year is what I commented back to him about.Nikon have had 2 bodies in the market place but in the same period Canon has only the one choice the R.The RIP isnt in the market place but maybe available on preorder since the 14th.
That speed reading needs to shift down another gear or 2.
Ah, right... so we're merely talking about the short distance in time between availability of other brand's bodies vs Canon's most recent, the RP. Got it. Well, RP is due for release by the end of the month and has been previewed with final firmware already, so I think we can treat it as "already here". As such, Sony, Nikon and Canon all have two or more bodies in "the race"

02-16-2019, 07:17 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
more bodies in "the race"
With Panasonic to join shortly.

Now,even though $$$ony maybe showing decent numbers...the Big Boy Canon doesnt have to have the top specs to take the majority of market share.Only they have the balls to bring a body like the RiP/6d mk2 M/L(thats a mouthfull) to market.

CIPA figures this time next year will be interesting!

Just for interest sake,M/L outsold Dslr for the first time in the period from Sept to December 2018 "value wise" but not in numbers.With RiP in the market place M/L may give the numbers a shake.
02-17-2019, 02:54 AM   #21
Pentaxian

I guess the fanboy author of that junk could as well work for dptabloid.

The claim in the text is:

QuoteQuote:
Sony’s Imaging Products group latest results – the nine months from March – December 2018, show sales up by 23 percent
Right next to a graphics which says the Sony full year increase in value is a tiny 670-655,9=14,1 billion yen or +2,1%.
So it is either incompetency in finding the right numbers and making the calculation or deliberate propaganda.

The year before they grew from 579 to 670 or +15,7%.
So Sony growth rate has plummeted by 87% in one year alone. And the results of changing from monopoly FF DSLM to being just one out of four will only show this year.

And the Sony decrease in volume is 800,000 units per year (Sony still hide ILC versus compact numbers), or -18%.

Canon by comparison has all their ILC sensor stuff in the same figures. This implies that to make it comparable changes for Sony would need to factor in the sensor sales as well. Here Sony lost sales of about 20,7 billion yen compared to the year before.
Combined together Sony sales is already decreasing this year 6.6 million yen versus last year.

Facts.