Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2019, 02:43 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Mounting Takumar M42 lenses on a Sony A7r ii body...............

I am a little baffled! There seems to be all kinds of mounts for Sony Alpha series cameras except for M42 type1 mounts. Yes, there is type1 and type2 in M42 mounts, according to Fotodiox, as in the attached image from their site. Is anyone using Pentax/Takumar M42 lenses on a Sony A7 series camera? Please tell me how!

Much thanks

Attached Images

03-02-2019, 03:01 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

There's no such thing as Type 1 and Type 2 M42 mounts. The one on the left is a fully manual stop-down lens, the one on the right has got a stop-down pin to open the aperture for focusing then automatically stop down to shoot. The one in the middle is actually the most advanced type, with a focusing stop-down pin plus aperture followers for open aperture metering. So to call the most advanced version a Type 1 seems a bit daft of Fotodiox.

They should all work with any adapter on your Sony, as none of the stop-down pins or aperture followers will be used (unless Fotodiox builds some sort of flange into its adapters to keep the stop-down pins depressed, although I can't imagine why it would do that).

Last edited by Dartmoor Dave; 03-02-2019 at 03:12 AM.
03-02-2019, 03:33 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
There's no such thing as Type 1 and Type 2 M42 mounts. The one on the left is a fully manual stop-down lens, the one on the right has got a stop-down pin to open the aperture for focusing then automatically stop down to shoot. The one in the middle is actually the most advanced type, with a focusing stop-down pin plus aperture followers for open aperture metering. So to call the most advanced version a Type 1 seems a bit daft of Fotodiox.

They should all work with any adapter on your Sony, as none of the stop-down pins or aperture followers will be used (unless Fotodiox builds some sort of flange into its adapters to keep the stop-down pins depressed, although I can't imagine why it would do that).

Thanks, Dave. What you said makes sense. Fotodiox' designation of type 1 and 2 is rather confusing. I found a few adapters that name compatible cameras and A7r ii is included, (while some others warn that A7r 2 won't work). Anyway, thanks for your logical explanation. I will order one without hesitation.
03-02-2019, 04:08 AM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by avid1 Quote
I found a few adapters that name compatible cameras and A7r ii is included, (while some others warn that A7r 2 won't work)
The reason some adapters are incompatible with the MkII cameras isn't due to the M42 mount, but rather the thickness of the bayonet fitting. MkII cameras require a very slightly thinner bayonet, whereas the original A7 and A7R were less fussy about this...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-02-2019 at 06:14 AM.
03-02-2019, 06:14 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FYI:

M42 Lens Aperture Control on Modern DSLRs: 3 Steps
03-02-2019, 11:14 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
I have a Sony body (a7r2).

If you want to use M42 lenses, try this method:

Get a Techart PRO Leica M to Sony E Autofocus Adapter for Sony A7/A7R Camera
Then get a Fotomix M42 to LM adapter

You can then get autofocus using the M42 lens on the Sony a7 body.

I've tried it, it works.

See attached photos
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s Plus  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s Plus  Photo 
03-02-2019, 01:41 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am a little baffled! There seems to be all kinds of mounts for Sony Alpha series cameras except for M42 type1 mounts. Yes, there is type1 and type2 in M42 mounts, according to Fotodiox, as in the attached image from their site. Is anyone using Pentax/Takumar M42 lenses on a Sony A7 series camera? Please tell me how!

Much thanks
I use this adapter on my a7rII, with no difficulties at all, but as always......YMMV.

amazon.com : Fotasy NA42 Copper Adjustable M42 42mm Screw Lens to Sony NEX E-Mount Camera Mount Adapter (Black) : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

Last edited by jlstrawman; 03-02-2019 at 01:51 PM.
03-02-2019, 03:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frekcles Quote

I've tried it, it works.
I must say, that truly is the >first< good reason I've read for buying a Sony camera. No idea if this could be applied to
other camera systems or if there is something unique about the Sony mount that allows this functionality.
03-02-2019, 04:40 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by frekcles Quote

I've tried it, it works.

This is interesting. I have too many M42 lenses to not explore this way of using them. Thank you for the suggestion.
03-02-2019, 07:59 PM   #10
Pentaxian

It increases the focal length of the lens, though, right?
03-02-2019, 08:37 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
It increases the focal length of the lens, though, right?
Is that how it works? Obviously the manual lenses are not being focused internally. So it's more of a zoom to
focus effect? Hmmmm, if that's the case, I can go back to very contently not caring about Sony
03-02-2019, 09:21 PM   #12

Original Poster
If there is an added glass in the adapter, that might be a deal killer. I am not particularly keen on AF. I am using a Canon macro 50mm FD lens till the adapters arrive, and I find the focus peaking feature of the A7r ii extremely helpful. It helps me focus sharply in manual mode quite easily. This A7r ii is my first Sony camera and I am quite impressed with it. Will know how it performs with SMC Takumars and other M42 and P/K mount lenses when I receive the adapters in a few days.

Last edited by avid1; 03-02-2019 at 11:47 PM.
03-02-2019, 09:43 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Is that how it works? Obviously the manual lenses are not being focused internally. So it's more of a zoom to
focus effect? Hmmmm, if that's the case, I can go back to very contently not caring about Sony
It's less of a "zoom-to-focus" effect, and more due to the thickness of the autofocus adapter itself adding distance between the lens and the sensor. Though looking at a few links, this effect isn't mentioned. However, it looks like there re some limitations on the adaption, as the FAW page says that you should always leave the lens at f2.0 for best results.

TechArtPro FAQ
03-02-2019, 11:42 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
For some reason, the page shows up blank on Firefox. Would like to read it.
03-03-2019, 04:25 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For some reason, the page shows up blank on Firefox. Would like to read it.
Link works fine on firefox on my PC (win 7, FF65). try eg chrome