Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2019, 02:19 PM - 11 Likes   #1
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

A "Professional DSLR" for just $26 ??

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I've been fortunate to acquire some pretty decent photographic gear over the years. Nothing excessive - I've always been reasonably careful with my money - but I've picked up some good quality equipment, from my two old Samsung GX-10s to my K-3 and K-3II, and a number of great lenses including the HD DA Limiteds.

These days, I don't have the income I used to, so I'm more careful than ever. Imagine, then, my delight in discovering a brand new "Professional DSLR" readily available for less than GBP £20 (equivalent to just USD $26) Such a camera - I think you'd agree - could open up a world of photographic opportunities for those traditionally priced out of what can be an expensive hobby.

Surprisingly, this camera hasn't yet made it to the major reputable online or bricks & mortar photography suppliers here in the UK. Thus far, I've only been able to find it on eBay. If I were to guess, I'd say the major brands have discouraged ("strong-armed") suppliers from stocking what could be a game-changing product - one that could pose a serious threat to the viability and longevity of those brands (Pentax included).

As a personal voyage of exploration and a small service to my fellow discerning members, I've placed my order for the camera today (22nd March), and it's due to arrive in approximately seven days. This seems like a long time given that the supplier is allegedly less than 200 miles from me (I could receive a shipment from China in seven days) but I suspect they merely need time to pack it well for shipping - it's a pro camera, after all. Anyway, I've started this thread so I can post about my journey and findings with it, along with some example photos, in the sincere and enthusiastic hope that a new era of low-cost, professional equipment is finally upon us

For now, I merely have the specifications detailed in the eBay listing, which I share verbatim to whet your appetites...

Features:
Specifications and parameters of the CMOS sensor, up to 16 million pixels

Storage medium can be expanded to 32 gb SD card/HCSD card

Automatic sensitivity, ISO100, ISO200, ISO400

Lens fixed lens F / 3.2, F = 7.6 mm

1.2 m - infinity focus range

Static images jpeg/VGA, 1 m, 3 m, 5 m and 12 m, 16 m (interpolation)

Clips AVI 1080 p, 720 p VGA

16x digital zoom, zoom

Image stabilization function support

LED lighting lamp < 1.0 m range opening/closing

Automatic white balance/sun/cloudy/bulbs/fluorescent lamp

Exposure compensation - 2.0 + / 2.0

Take time off / 2 seconds / 5 seconds / 10 seconds

Computer usb interface (high speed)

Automatic shutdown 1/3/5/10 minutes

The built-in microphones

The speaker built-in

2.4 inch TFT - LCD LCD screen (230000 pixels, 4:3)

NTSC/PAL video output

Power lithium ion battery NP - 5 c

115 (long) X48 size (high) X50 (wide) mm

Weight about 220 g

Package Included:
1*Digital camera

1*AV cable

1*Data cable

1*Lens cover

1* Rope

1*Manual

Sounds exciting, does it not?

Attached below is just one of the many eBay listings for the camera. You can see that it appears to be selling well, so it won't be long before this secret is well and truly out there. There are numerous "Buy It Now" listings for the same model from a variety of "fine photographic equipment suppliers", and I was lucky enough to pick one up for just GBP £19.99. Those of you happy to buy from Singapore or the Philippines could bag one for about 10% less, but my excitement and impatience to get it "quickly" was justification enough to pay a slightly higher price...

I'll report back soon

Attached Images

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-23-2019 at 03:04 AM.
03-22-2019, 02:27 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It sounds like an adventurous journey
Keep us posted!
03-22-2019, 02:31 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lol. You are soooo extravagant.
Are you now taking bookings for weddings and portraits with this professional kit, you know you should
Looking forward to your user report too, better kicks that a lottery ticket at that price.
03-22-2019, 02:33 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Does it have an Optical Color lens?

03-22-2019, 02:37 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Why is this not on ‘the other site’ already?

It must be because they are in Canon/Nikon/Sony/Olympus/Panasonic’s pockets (since we know they aren’t in Pentax’)

-Eric
03-22-2019, 02:53 PM - 4 Likes   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
Are you now taking bookings for weddings and portraits with this professional kit, you know you should
Looking forward to your user report too, better kicks that a lottery ticket at that price.
You raise an interesting point, Kevin. With its 16x digital zoom, this camera could negate the need for wedding togs to carry two bodies fitted with a 24-70 and 70-200 respectively. There's no doubt it's a disruptive product in many ways, perhaps some we don't even realise yet...

Who knows, it may negate the need for a lottery win, at least so far as our photographic budgets are concerned. I'm trying to keep my expectations in check for now, but frankly, I'm stoked.

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Does it have an Optical Color lens?
No no... such things are for the "trash cam" 35mm cameras of old. From the labelling visible in the listing, I see "DIGITAL ZOOM LENS" and "VIDEO LENS" inscribed on the front ring. From this, we can immediately expect superior rendering designed to squeeze the most out of a digital sensor - not for us the limitations of film era lenses such as the FA31, FA43 and FA77 Limited. But we also see that the lens is optimised for video use. The encouraging thing here is that the manufacturer has clearly prioritised video alongside stills photography, which leads me to believe this could be a videographer's delight. I have limited experience in this area, but in my future posts I'll try to demonstrate its strengths for video work.

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Why is this not on ‘the other site’ already?

It must be because they are in Canon/Nikon/Sony/Olympus/Panasonic’s pockets (since we know they aren’t in Pentax’)
As I mentioned, Eric, I suspect this is a camera the big brands don't want us to know about. Even Ricoh / Pentax must be concerned... We might even conclude this is why we're still waiting for the K-3II replacement, since Ricoh needs to ensure that product is compelling enough...
03-22-2019, 03:03 PM - 3 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
As a personal voyage of exploration and a small service to my fellow discerning members, I've placed my order for the camera, and it's due to arrive in seven days
@BigMackCam, once again, you have shown your high regard and remarkable level of service to the membership. It's not every day that we see such dedication and selflessness. Hats off to you!

Indeed, the camera appears to be a promising new entry into the market. The specs are truly mind-numbing; the accessories are bountiful; and that jet-black colour is a fashion statement all by itself.

However, as a faithful member here -- and with the greatest possible respect to you, dear Senior Moderator -- I would politely suggest that you have been remiss, just a wee bit. I suspect that you have some inside knowledge of this gem, which you have kept from us. If I'm correct, I think it would have been proper of you to reveal the camera's autofocus performance, which probably eats any Pentax camera for breakfast and sweeps the floor with the K-1 II. We can only hope and trust that you'll show the test images and data in due course.

Will you be able to stand the seven-day wait?

All with a big hearty and

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 03-22-2019 at 03:12 PM.
03-22-2019, 03:26 PM - 4 Likes   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
@BigMackCam, once again, you have shown your high regard and remarkable level of service to the membership. It's not every day that we see such dedication and selflessness. Hats off to you!
Thank you, Craig - I'm humbled by your kind words

Indeed, the camera appears to be a promising new entry into the market. The specs are truly mind-numbing; the accessories are bountiful; and that jet-black colour is a fashion statement all by itself.
I was going to wait for my full review before mentioning this, but I'll leak two significant tidbits now...
  • Rather than proudly displaying a brand name on the front of the prism/flash housing, the manufacturer has chosen to leave this blank. Many pro's cover the brand name with tape or use black Sharpie or paint to make it less visible for a variety of reasons, but here the manufacturer is one step ahead - clearly aimed at professional users
  • The lens cap has the word "Camera" emblazoned upon it; again, no brand naming. Importantly, this serves as a reminder to elderly and infirm users that the item they're holding is a camera. It's rare to see a camera manufacturer cater for impaired users, so I see this as a sensitive and ground-breaking move for other brands to follow

However, as a faithful member here -- and with the greatest possible respect to you, dear Senior Moderator -- I would politely suggest that you have been remiss, just a wee bit. I suspect that you have some inside knowledge of this gem, which you have kept from us. If I'm correct, I think it would have been proper of you to reveal the camera's autofocus performance, which probably eats any Pentax camera for breakfast. We can only hope and trust that you'll show the test images and data in due course.
I assure you I have no inside information, nor any affiliation with the manufacturer or product. But I can release another teaser, based on my own research... and that is, there is no measurable autofocus time. So far as I'm aware, the moment you point the camera at a subject, it is ready to take the photo with optimal intended clarity for the lens and technology therein. Of course, I'll demonstrate this with examples in my full review.

Will you be able to stand the seven-day wait?
For now, I'll have to make do with my enthusiast-level equipment But I won't lie, I'm on the edge of my seat...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-22-2019 at 05:24 PM.
03-22-2019, 03:30 PM - 4 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As I mentioned, Eric, I suspect this is a camera the big brands don't want us to know about.
@BigMackCam -- Actually, I think the camera you have discovered has already been eclipsed by the

AMKOV 3.0"24MP 1080P Professional Digital Cameras MF Camcorder DSLR Cameras+Lens

AMKOV 3.0"24MP 1080P Professional Digital Cameras MF Camcorder DSLR Cameras+Lens 889251156212 | eBay

For only a slightly higher cost (GBP 67.19), you could be enjoying the built-in Anti-Shake feature, a "Facial beauty design" mode, and a freebie tripod. As a bonus, you'd collect 67 "Nectar points."

Sorry to stoke your G.A.S., but I thought it would be politic to let you in on this one.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 03-22-2019 at 03:36 PM.
03-22-2019, 03:33 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

there is no measurable autofocus time. So far as I'm aware, the moment you point the camera at a subject, it is ready to take the photo with optimal clarity
Good golly! The holy grail.
03-22-2019, 03:34 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
@BigMackCam -- Actually, I think the camera you have discovered has already been eclipsed by the

AMKOV 3.0"24MP 1080P Professional Digital Cameras MF Camcorder DSLR Cameras+Lens

AMKOV 3.0"24MP 1080P Professional Digital Cameras MF Camcorder DSLR Cameras+Lens 889251156212 | eBay

For only a slightly higher cost (GBP 67.19), you could be enjoying the built-in Anti-Shake feature, a "Facial beauty design" mode, and a freebie tripod. As a bonus, you'd collect 67 "Nectar points."

Sorry to stoke you G.A.S., but I thought it would be politic to let you in on this one.
Thanks, Craig, but I think AMKOV is jumping on the bandwagon. I'd warn against this particular brand and model for the time-being. My concern is, many folks might believe they're getting something better than the professional DSLR I'm writing about here, but would ultimately be disappointed by image quality and / or other aspects...
03-22-2019, 03:36 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

1* Rope
This is for lynching one's detractors.

Steve
03-22-2019, 03:39 PM - 1 Like   #13
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
This is for lynching one's detractors.
Hmmm.... Insightful, Steve. Have you thought of applying for one of the moderator vacancies?
03-22-2019, 03:43 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Hmmm.... Insightful, Steve. Have you thought of applying for one of the moderator vacancies?
I don't own a helmet.

Steve
03-22-2019, 03:45 PM - 4 Likes   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

Well it's not a DSLR, given the lack of a reflex mirror, OVF, and interchangable lens. They really should claim it's "mirrorless" -- sales would double!

And a 7.6 mm lens! That's either fisheye lens or it's a sensor with a crop factor of maybe 4 to 7X. (Amusingly, the lens markings on the pictures of the camera claim it's a 9.88mm f/5 lens)

On the plus side, it's not a plus-size camera. At a petite 2" x 2" x 4" and only 220 grams, you could hang 10 of these around your neck with the supplied "rope" for less than the weight of a K-1 and 24-70 lens.