Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2019, 11:45 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Amazing Sync Speed with Nikon D1

A few years ago I bought a D1 for $25 from a thrift shop. Recently I tried it with a flash, and was amazed that no matter how high I raised the shutter speed, the flash was still synced. I then researched it on the Web, and yup it will sync all the way to the camera's fastest shutter speed of 1/16,000th when using a no-name flash. When using a dedicated Nikon flash, the top sync speed is 1/500th.

04-01-2019, 06:48 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wonder why that is...and why that's changed
04-01-2019, 04:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Some (most? all?) Nikon cameras allows a 'dumb' flash to fire, no matter what shutter speed you've set it to. Syncing is not guaranteed, but it would be nice if Pentax cameras enabled this (at least as an option in the menus).

Some of the older models (nikon d50, d70, etc) also had some kind of combined mechanical and electrical shutter thing going on. It's been a few years, but they may have had global electronic shutters past a certain shutter speed? I'm not sure, but I recall being able to sync a friend's d50 at 1/1000 using dumb radio triggers and a hot shoe flash still at full power. Depending on the flash power settings, the triggers, and the shutter speed you set, there may be banding. So try out various settings to test the syncing limits before using it for anything important..

Also, nice find
04-01-2019, 04:39 PM   #4
Pentaxian

From strobist. "Back to the D70s, here is how to fake out the sync. It couldn't be simpler: All you have to do is make the camera think there is not a flash connected. Then it will not arbitrarily limit your shutter to it's nominal sync speed of 1/500th of a second, which is a pretty good sync speed to start with."

04-01-2019, 05:03 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tighelander Quote
A few years ago I bought a D1 for $25 from a thrift shop. Recently I tried it with a flash, and was amazed that no matter how high I raised the shutter speed, the flash was still synced. I then researched it on the Web, and yup it will sync all the way to the camera's fastest shutter speed of 1/16,000th when using a no-name flash. When using a dedicated Nikon flash, the top sync speed is 1/500th.
Was this high speed sync or regular sync?

I do not recall any mechanical shutter doing more than 250 and actually filling the entire frame
04-01-2019, 05:39 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
?

I do not recall any mechanical shutter doing more than 250 and actually filling the entire frame
Here is more on that.
Strobist: Hacking Your Camera's Sync Speed, Pt. 2
Basically it doesn't.
04-01-2019, 07:57 PM   #7

Original Poster
This was regular, generic sync. I was using an old Sunpak, just one pin. After shooting with a flash up to 1/8000th, I looked on the web, and read about it on the Rockwell site. He said, yup, it will sync up to it's top shutter speed of 1/16,000th.