Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
"Hey Google, add a jumping marlin to my image."

I wouldn't even be surprised if it worked
...just tried it...No luck

I then tried "Hey Google, add a jumping salmon to my image."

Again, no joy...

...adding a rant thread on Pentax Forums about how Google won't add jumping salmon to Pentax-taken photos...

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-23-2019 at 08:10 AM.
04-23-2019, 07:40 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
They seem to be pricing it as if it were a competitor to medium format. Slap a red dot on that sucker and the price starts to make sense...

Look at the SL lenses... sheesh.

16-35 f3.5-4.5 is nearly $5500
24-90 f2.8-4 is roughly $4200
90-280 f2.8-4 is about $6400

I like the 2.8-4 variable aperture on these and the extended zoom ranges on the two longer ones but the pricing is insane.
Thrifty Panasonic shooters: Yikes! These lenses are way too expensive! We'll wait until we can buy used copies.
Wealthy Panasonic shooters: These lenses are too expensive even for us! There won't be a used market. Go Sigma!
04-23-2019, 08:43 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That would be proof-positive of an intelligent merge.

Still, the problem of motion within the frame is a sticky one with a limited number of potential solutions. The most obvious is to detect differences between frames and not apply the merge to those pixels. Adding additional exposures has potential to provide additional data for effected pixels. Apply Panasonics's expertise with synthetic image augmentation and the results might be quite convincing. Note that convincing is not the same as accurate to the scene or consistent to the photographer's intent. I might expect that small leaves might simply disappear along with suspended droplets.*

Steve

* I tend to shoot my moving water at about 1/8s to 1/15s, at which it is not usual to have motion blur and droplets at apex in the same frame.
Exactly. If you are shooting 8 frames (as Panasonic is) and there is movement then all you can do is substitute one of the images or do some kind of median effect. All of these sorts of things are available in Raw Therapee and they do work well. Maybe Panasonic's version is a little better over RAW Therapee's process, but it's a bit over the top to say that you have whole gigs of images that are completely unusable due to artifacts. The only way that could be is if every single image in each pixel shift container is terrible (which would be on the photographer), because worst case scenario, you take the best single image and process that, ignoring the pixel shift feature entirely.
04-23-2019, 09:10 AM   #34
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
...it's a bit over the top to say that you have whole gigs of images that are completely unusable due to artifacts.
Whole gigs unusable* is the mark of a user who never ventures beyond in-camera processing and/or has no clue as to how these things work and/or is not an actual user and/or is using Lightroom.

Steve

* If shooting RAW on the K-1, that means what, maybe twelve PS frames?

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-23-2019 at 09:35 AM.