Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-21-2019, 05:10 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nikon mirrorless compared to Nikon DSLR? Q&A

Z6 mirrorless camera Q&A, from long time Nikon DSLR user.

Question: "why do I have a duck tape on the viewfinder of my [Z6] camera?"
Answer @ 24:00

Question: Why was tape used to hold the battery door on the Z6?
Answer @ 25:30: "it's really bad made, it's like these kids toys they get inside a chocolate egg... so I put a duct tape here it is works quite good"

See video @ 31:00.

Question: "is autofocus good?"
Answer: "no, it's really not good"...
..."video autofocus is good, but for the continuous autofocus of still autofocus isn't as good [as DSLR], I really hope it will improve".
..."when I was photographying the only fox I saw on the expedition, I had to replace the Z6 the D850 because the tracking performance on the Z6 simply couldn't nail focus on any photo, I think I got 1 out of 9 photos in focus".

So to me it looks like the build quality of mirror-less Nikon (also for the Canon's and Sony's) is on the decrease.
Essentially, mirrorless is more expensive and lower quality compared to DSLR tech from a few years ago.
I hope for the future that camera makers make mirrorless cameras rugged again.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 06-21-2019 at 05:15 AM.
06-21-2019, 05:00 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Nice video Biz, Nikon have issued a recent(last month) AF firmware update.I wonder if he is using it?

They got their Video AF right from the start,stills wasn't as good as $$$ony which set the mark for FF M/L at the time of Nikon release.

Also,Nikon promoted the Z series as a " compliment" to the Dslr system and that's the way they expected these first 2 editions to be used.

The budget model and high end model(PRO dual slot) are in the strong rumours department right now.

As far as build quality goes,the reports ive seen and read is that its OK.Obviously if anyone bought one and had the problems he had,it would be disappointing.Unacceptable for the price paid.He should return it.
07-13-2019, 03:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, buying first generation is a bit silly if you ask me. Pay a premium to be a tester for the brand.

It took Fujifilm 3 generations to get decent autofocus.

I think some people bought into the hype, especially by the likes of Dpreview who seemed to be doing free promo's for the Nikon Z and Canon R rather than being a review sight.
07-13-2019, 05:58 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote

I think some people bought into the hype, especially by the likes of Dpreview who seemed to be doing free promo's for the Nikon Z and Canon R rather than being a review sight.
Not free, Howie.

DPR has been owned by Amazon for some time and it's an advertising catalogue for the company now, not an independent testing site.

07-13-2019, 10:16 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well, buying first generation is a bit silly if you ask me. Pay a premium to be a tester for the brand.It took Fujifilm 3 generations to get decent autofocus.
That's right.

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
DPR has been owned by Amazon for some time and it's an advertising catalogue for the company now, not an independent testing site.
Online information is mostly about things that can be quantified into a spreadsheet. Battery capacity down to a CIPA number, auto-focus down to a number of points, ISO max number, video resolution and frame rates. There is no number attached to durability , especially when the review is done at the time or release and not after 300 000 shutter clicks. Also, ease of use being qualitative (and subjective), is seldom an important part of the equation.

When I tried the D750 a few years ago, being used to Pentax high-end models, I told the seller about the D750 "it feels a bit like a disposable camera", the seller replied: "Oh year, absolutely, cameras are designed to be replaced quite often these days". It's not the answer I was waiting for, so I bought a Pentax K1.
07-14-2019, 12:42 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Well, buying first generation is a bit silly if you ask me. Pay a premium to be a tester for the brand.
Yes, I paid top dollar for a k-1...terribly silly!

It took Fujifilm 3 generations to get decent autofocus.
You own and use all the Fuji generations?