Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-21-2019, 11:26 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yes, as far as I know Pentax was the first with IBIS for a dslr. Canon and Nikon both had in-lens long before that, however.

07-21-2019, 11:56 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Many customers get sold on anything Sony does or say. Customers also buy the idea that Sony innovate. Who was first with IBIS? Pentax.
Konica/Minolta was first with IBIS on a DSLR with Dynax 7D.
QuoteQuote:

Who was first with pixel shift? Pentax.
I believe Olympus was ahead of Pentax with pixel shift. And long before Olympus, Hasselblad had pixel shift.
QuoteQuote:
Who was first to offer a medium format crop DSLR? Pentax (Fuji and Hasselblad copied).
Hasselblad and Phase One (and possibly other) had MF crop sensor backs before Pentax produced 645D.

QuoteQuote:
Sony was for with eye-AF, so that's one innovation out of three. Why not write an article about Pentax being the top innovator in cameras?

Sony added bulb mode on the A7RIII via a firmware update. My K200D Pentax had bulb mode 13 years earlier. That's how Sony innovate , warfff.
07-22-2019, 12:38 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Konica/Minolta was first with IBIS on a DSLR with Dynax 7D.
Huh, this is true.

I believe Olympus was ahead of Pentax with pixel shift.
Yep, by two months, roughly (between OM-D 5 ii and K-3 ii). Developed neck-to-neck most likely, Oly just pushed the camera out the door faster

And long before Olympus, Hasselblad had pixel shift.Hasselblad and Phase One (and possibly other) had MF crop sensor backs before Pentax produced 645D.
Not that long; less than a year before the Oly from what I can find. Do we count a digital back as "making a digital camera"? MF is weird.

Also, my brain keeps reading "MF" as either "manual focus" or "medium format" and manages to be wrong every single time. I assume this is an intentional flaw.
07-22-2019, 12:45 AM   #19
Pentaxian

I belive Hasselblad introduced the multishot feature in 2008.

07-22-2019, 12:52 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Apparently some digital backs from the early 2000s already had a multishot feature, actually. Huh, today I learned...
07-22-2019, 12:52 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
So IBIS and pixel shifts were before Pentax and before Sony. Sony gets credit for eye AF. What's hurting the camera industry isn't innovation, it is the incessant release of new camera models at more expensive prices, more and more people can't align the budget for an upgrade, the user base shrinks even faster. Introducing mirror-less and raft of new lenses by 4 companies is more than the customers base can finance. Some companies will have to take their losses, if not all of them.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 07-22-2019 at 01:00 AM.
07-22-2019, 01:36 AM   #22
Pentaxian

So IBIS and pixel shifts were before Pentax and before Sony. Sony gets credit for eye AF. What's hurting the camera industry isn't innovation, it is the incessant release of new camera models at more expensive prices, more and more people can't align the budget for an upgrade, the user base shrinks even faster.
Why would that shrink the user base? How many do really need the latest model? Few users are getting the latest of everything as soon as they are released. That is why they have a premium price.
I do not see the prices are increasing. Sony A7 IV has the same introduction price as Sony A7 III.

When releasing new models it usually mean that price of older models are decreased faster making them more accessible for more users.

QuoteQuote:
Introducing mirror-less and raft of new lenses by 4 companies is more than the customers base can finance. Some companies will have to take their losses, if not all of them.

07-22-2019, 02:23 AM   #23
Pentaxian

I do not see the prices are increasing. Sony A7 IV has the same introduction price as Sony A7 III.
That's what I see for $$$ony, but for Fuji the price has gone down for a superior camera.XT3

But for Canon, price has reduced a lot.....1299 for M/L 26mp 1999 for the 6Dii(that's a 700buck mirror).

it is the incessant release of new camera models at more expensive prices

Last edited by surfar; 07-22-2019 at 02:33 AM.
07-22-2019, 02:47 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
That's what I see for $$$ony, but for Fuji the price has gone down for a superior camera.XT3

But for Canon, price has reduced a lot.....1299 for M/L 26mp 1999 for the 6Dii(that's a 700buck mirror).
What are you talking about? The 6D II is 1299 on B and H right now and the RP is exactly the same price, 1299. So no, there is no difference in price.

Overall, Sony does well, but I feel like their innovations are more on the sensor side of things than the ILC design side. They do seem to be pretty effective at copying other's innovations and tweaking them. They had Pentax's pixel shift (4 shots) but it couldn't be developed in camera, had to be processed in post. Now they are coming out with a 16 shot version -- maybe a little closer to Olympus's version. Regardless, I don't see that it is innovative. The only innovative thing about it is that they are doing it with a 61 megapixel sensor.
07-22-2019, 02:56 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
What are you talking about? The 6D II
Launch price?
07-22-2019, 03:03 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Launch price?
Who cares about launch price? Overall the camera market has dropped considerably and that has pushed the price of both MILCs and DSLRs down. Currently the price is the same and is likely to remain the same. The mirror costs nothing extra at this point, although your post strongly implied that at current prices the mirrored camera cost 700 dollars more.

What is odd is not that Canon launched the 6D II at 1900 dollars (which is what entry level full frame cameras were selling for then), but that the market has tanked to the point that a couple of years later they had to launch a MILC with similar tech at a price significantly under that. Usually there is more of an early adopter tax.
07-22-2019, 03:21 AM   #27
Pentaxian

your post strongly implied that at current prices the mirrored camera cost 700 dollars more.
The launch price is the retail price, I relate to that.OLD tech decreases with time.(A7ii with kitlens for 998.)

I can buy a RP with the adapter for the equivalent of U$1100,right now...so that's 300 better value than the 6dii...but I didn't say anything like that...

What is odd is
The market is adjusting, better tech for le$$.
07-22-2019, 03:44 AM   #28
JPT
Pentaxian

Regarding pixel shift super resolution, the earliest I’m aware of is the RDC-7, brought to market by Ricoh in 2000. It used only two shots, but the basic idea is there and implemented way before anyone else.

Here’s the brochure:
http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/r_dc/support/brochure/pdf/rdc7.pdf
07-22-2019, 03:59 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Regarding pixel shift super resolution, the earliest I’m aware of is the RDC-7, brought to market by Ricoh in 2000.
Thank for the reminder. I knew that I had read that somewhere, but couldn't recall exactly.
07-22-2019, 12:51 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The launch price is the retail price, I relate to that.OLD tech decreases with time.(A7ii with kitlens for 998.)

I can buy a RP with the adapter for the equivalent of U$1100,right now...so that's 300 better value than the 6dii...but I didn't say anything like that...

The market is adjusting, better tech for le$$.
I guess if you buy the 6D II you get the adapter free as well. In fact all of your EOS lenses work without messing with an adapter.