Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-25-2019, 11:44 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Suddenly it's 2004! Fuji S3100

Hello,

Looking for other stuff I found my trusty old Fuji S3100. I went DSLR in 2007 (K100D Super), but I was an early adopter of digital. My first digital camera was a Ricoh RDC300 back in 1998. It is still around here, somewhere. But the Fuji S3000 and then the upgraded S3100 were true workhorses. The Fuji S3000 was the first digital camera I made money with, writing articles for Model Cars Magazine. After all, it had a 3.2 MILLION pixels sensor and the S3100 a whopping 4 MILLION! Both S3000 and S3100 look pretty much identical. My original S3000 eventually caught some grit in the lens barrel that prevented it from moving freely, giving the dreaded "LENS ERROR" of death. The rubber grip degraded and started to disintegrate. It is here somewhere. Some day I'll open it and try to fix it.
I then got this S3100 from a friend who was not using it much. But shortly after I went DSLR.
Can't believe how small the screen is by today's standards. The primitive EVF was very useful outdoors.

Plastic is not as glamorous as metal to work with, but it is a camera. It needs camera love!

Before:

After:

Typical of older digitals, the display, while still working, has developed some sort of spot/distortion/degradation thing.

Even today, with proper lightning, this is still a capable little camera.

Thanks,

07-25-2019, 12:00 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ooo, does it take multi media cards too?? 😃
07-25-2019, 12:15 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
These take XD cards. You can't imagine my joy when I found a 1GB card!
I mean, ONE whole freaking GIGABYTE! That was INSANE!

Thanks,
07-25-2019, 12:39 PM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice

In my storage boxes, I have a Fujifilm Finepix S3500 (the UK version of your S3100) that I bought way back when Mine has some scuffs, particularly around the edges of the hood / threaded filter adapter, but otherwise is in perfect working order (at least, it was when I last checked it a couple of years ago ). It took great photos - although, I was rather less demanding of image quality back then... but it served me very well.

I hope you'll consider posting some shots from it here: Confessions of a Toy Camera Shooter....Confess Here! - PentaxForums.com

08-20-2019, 10:47 PM   #5
Forum Member

I just used my Fuji S5100 the other day. The wife and I were taking a bus tour around town, and I did not want to take my dslr. The little Fuji work great, the pictures looked good, but boy is that rear screen small.

Rick