Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-17-2019, 08:08 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Photokina 2020 will be missing some typical players...

Nikon, Leica and Olympus are Not Going to Attend Photokina 2020

Curious indeed.

09-17-2019, 09:07 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Lot of bucks to set up a booth and have your people there, showing the wares of the company. A few years ago I was at a company that provides specialty aftermarket parts and services, for vehicles and while waiting for my car, a salesman for the largest new car show in my part of the country was talking to the owner manager, asking if he would be part of the show. The business owner replied that he wouldn't as he got very little business from this big consumer show, indicating that he got far more bang for his buck advertising in local community papers and online.

Having a booth is the large consumer show was not cheap, much more expensive than other opportunities for him...and it wasn't worth it...in terms of business.

Photokina is different...and I don't know how much typical biz photographic equipment manufacturers get from these shows. Perhaps that's the reason, but I don't know, just speculating.

Now I am surprised that Nikon won't be a part and to a lesser extent Leica, particularly since Photokina is a German show. Olympic...I'm not surprised.
09-17-2019, 09:14 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I might understand Nikon and Leica not having their ducks in a row in the wake of new product rollout and new alliances, but Olympus?

Steve
09-18-2019, 03:00 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I might understand Nikon and Leica not having their ducks in a row in the wake of new product rollout and new alliances, but Olympus?

Steve
Olympus took micro four thirds as far as it can go with EM1x. I don't think they sold a bunch of those (who is paying 2300 for a micro four thirds camera that is as big as some full frame cameras?). But I don't imagine they have anything new to show.

If they want to continue making cameras, probably the best thing they could do would be to join the L mount alliance and start making cameras for a larger sensor size. Overall my guess is that their medical division is supporting the camera side of things in a major way.

09-18-2019, 03:58 AM   #5
JPT
Pentaxian

What the Photokina organizers have done is really strange to me. When they announced the decision to move it earlier in the year and have it every year instead of every other year, I thought it must be at the request of the camera companies, or at least they would be on board. Instead it doesn’t seem to be consistent with their wishes at all.

Everyone can see that the camera companies are cutting marketing. It’s also clear that the Internet has made physical gatherings less relevant. So why Photokina thought that camera companies would want to increase the frequency to twice a year is beyond me.

When you think about the cost of sending a team to Germany from Japan, it makes CP+ look a lot easier by comparison - not even an overnight cost for the Tokyo-based companies. Leica has not been present at CP+ since I started going in 2013 for the same reason, I guess. What is shocking here is that Leica is pulling out of the show in Cologne.

As far as I can see, Ricoh are not going to be there either. The article doesn’t mention them as an exhibitor.
09-18-2019, 07:50 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
As far as I can see, Ricoh are not going to be there either. The article doesn’t mention them as an exhibitor.
The Photokina Web site has Ricoh Imaging Deutschland GmbH listed.

Steve
09-20-2019, 06:18 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When I supported trade shows for Kodak these shows were pretty much rewards for large customers. All sorts of deals would be inked at these shows. They were wined and dined and then they signed. Getting all your major players in one location was very efficient. Deals signed at the shows were worth tens of millions of dollars. Today, not so much.

This is fallout caused by companies like Amazon and internet advertising. They have severely impacted the brick and mortar stores and chain sales. The new way of doing business and selling product have simply eliminated the need for trade shows. In the photography and photo finishing industries there are simply too few major retailers and/or customers left to make them a cost effective way for manufacturers to conduct their business.

In the world of Pentax this site does more for Pentax sales outside of Japan then any trade show could. Doesn't cost them any money either. In fact, some of us pay help support the site.

09-20-2019, 07:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Overall my guess is that their medical division is supporting the camera side of things in a major way.
Sadly, this is true. The medical imaging division is the bread and butter of the company and the camera division is just something they do on the side. Some of the technologies used by the medical imaging is tested first by the camera division. In some ways the camera division is just a place to test technology for the medical division.

I think there is still a future for m4/3. Olympus is using sensors that are 1-2 generations behind what is in the current Sony or Fuji cameras. There is definitely room for Olympus to improve in terms of AF speed and tracking as well as image quality.
12-17-2019, 09:48 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Now I read that Fujifilm is pulling out of Photokina 2020 too:

Another one bites the dust: Fujifilm pulls out of Photokina 2020 | Digital Camera World

Is there any point in this show now?
12-17-2019, 10:29 AM   #10
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Too many shows at too high of a cost has diluted their impact. It will be interesting to see how much these companies absence affects the overall attendance and appearance by other companies.
12-17-2019, 03:42 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Looks like the industry is basically leaving the event to Sony, Panasonic & Canon.
Maybe the absence of Nikon/Fuji/Olympus will give a little more space and visibility to smaller operators like Ricoh, and other upcoming industry players too.