Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
10-11-2019, 06:57 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
EDIT: in any case, neither Canon nor Nikon have ever given a serious thought to their crop lens selection beyond an assortment of kit-like and consumer grade options.
Canon has what, the 24mm 2.8 pancake, the 17-55/2.8 zoom and the various superzooms/kits/two tele options (50-200 and 70-300? Is the 70-300 FF?) both with 4-5.6 aperture?
I agree with you. Regarding their lenses, I have the feeling that Nikon is going to follow the same path with their new Z-DX that they did with DX: consumer grade lenses and no dedicated primes. Plus, this time they don't have Sigma's nor Tamron's help to fill the holes.

10-11-2019, 07:06 AM - 3 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax (and Fuji) truly have us spoiled for choice with APS-C lenses.
10-11-2019, 01:38 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For real, I love the Pentax lineup.
10-11-2019, 04:10 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is kind of surprising that Nikon introduced an APS-C at this point.

10-11-2019, 04:28 PM   #20

Not everybody needs full frame and their overly priced and huge lenses. But Nikon should have designed and released fast prime pancake lenses on their APS-C mirrorless body at the start.
10-12-2019, 12:18 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mannyquinto Quote
Not everybody needs full frame and their overly priced and huge lenses. But Nikon should have designed and released fast prime pancake lenses on their APS-C mirrorless body at the start.
Nikon has all of *two* primes for their APS-C DSLRs. And those have been around for almost two decades. They think that APS-C users are beginners, not enthusiasts making a conscious decision. Canon at least has a couple of EF lenses that fit nicely on their crop cameras, plus the EF-M lenses (although those form a pretty limited system, it covers most things generally needed).
10-12-2019, 02:56 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nikon's hope, as always, is to get people into their APS-C models and have them purchase a full frame lens or two and then feel like they have to move to full frame to maximize their lens purchase. If you have too many APS-C lenses people might just stay there.

Pentax was an APS-C only company for so long that this really wasn't a problem, although folks who shoot legacy lenses often are attracted to full frame simply to shoot their older lenses the "way they were intended to be shot."

10-12-2019, 07:47 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sure. Many of the Pentax APS-C lenses not only produce good results, but are a real pleasure to handle and shoot with, facets of the photographic process that don't translate to MTF charts.
10-12-2019, 01:20 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Pentax was an APS-C only company for so long that this really wasn't a problem, although folks who shoot legacy lenses often are attracted to full frame simply to shoot their older lenses the "way they were intended to be shot."
I have all the zoom lenses I need for the DSLRs that the few SLR primes I have just sit around and collect dust - I'd never spend $$$$ on "FF" cameras just to use those.
10-12-2019, 04:24 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Sure. Many of the Pentax APS-C lenses not only produce good results, but are a real pleasure to handle and shoot with, facets of the photographic process that don't translate to MTF charts.
You mean that MTF charts are not worth printing, framing and displaying in your living room??

I have been doing this "photography" thing SO wrong!
10-12-2019, 04:25 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I have all the zoom lenses I need for the DSLRs that the few SLR primes I have just sit around and collect dust - I'd never spend $$$$ on "FF" cameras just to use those.
That's fine. There are others who have different, more expansive collections of full frame lenses. They often feel more of an attraction to full frame, particularly as the price comes down on it.
10-12-2019, 04:28 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Fuji) truly have us spoiled for choice with APS-C lenses.
There is a few gaps but they should be filled within a couple of years.

---------- Post added 10-13-19 at 10:30 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I'd never spend $$$$ on "FF" cameras just to use those.
You could get the FF with the kit zoom, it goes OK.

---------- Post added 10-13-19 at 10:42 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
It is kind of surprising that Nikon introduced an APS-C at this point.
Well,when you consider that their main rivals in the market place CanOny offer FF and Apsc,its no surprise that they want to offer their client base an option.

Its competitive pricewise, that kit 16-50 makes it light and compact(what the 1 system used to be).
10-12-2019, 06:14 PM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mannyquinto Quote
More important, not everyone needs "perfect" lenses with their corner-to-corner sharpness. Before computers people were satisfied with center sharpness - now not so much - but with the exception of a few landscapes, in most cases we still should be satisfied with center sharpness and be more concerned with composition than with "perfect" equipment that we have to lug around.
10-12-2019, 06:19 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I wonder if Nikon will stop selling APS-C dslrs and only sell Mirrorless in that price range.
10-12-2019, 06:33 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
I wonder if Nikon will stop selling APS-C dslrs and only sell Mirrorless in that price range.
Canon is more likely to do that than Nikon is. Nikon - like Pentax - took a slow path to the final electronic mount that Canon jumped to over thirty years ago. The two companies {Nikon and Pentax} each maintained mostly compatibility along the path, but it is hard to construct full-function adapters to maintain that compatibility. As a result, customers might have to dump some expensive 'glass', and the more they dump, the more they will think of changing brands as well ..... which will discourage Nikon from making the change completely.