Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
10-03-2019, 09:58 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
But what if tech is not going to get any better, for few yrs. They have reached the max
My take on this topic: It's not tech constrained, it's business/resource limited => product life extension for the A9 instead of new sensor tech.

---------- Post added 04-10-19 at 07:00 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The A9 is 2 years old, so not an old camera
Normally Sony upgrade camera models every two years. So I guess if Sony A9 ii is a Sony A9 tweaked it is because Sony did not achieve break even with the A9 model. With the A9 mk II there are trying to extend volumes while minimizing R&D costs.

---------- Post added 04-10-19 at 07:06 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The new mechanical shutter is really the only feature that they have added that I want, but it's not worth upgrading for that
According to T&C N. the connectivity on current Sony models really sucks, unusable in fact. So I guess Sony listened to customer complains and really made the connectivity working and usuable on the new Sony A9II.
Isn't it possible to send the Sony A9 to Sony for a $500 upgrade to a Sony A9II? Possibility of cash back in exchange of an old Sony A9 ?

Last edited by biz-engineer; 10-03-2019 at 10:07 PM.
10-03-2019, 10:21 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
^^ that would be crazy. Who in their right mind would release such upgrade possibility?!

That said. There are several guys saying that they need recent of camera, because they don’t want to have old tech. So it is time to upgrade and not let your investments get old..
10-04-2019, 02:05 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
^^ that would be crazy. Who in their right mind would release such upgrade possibility?!

That said. There are several guys saying that they need recent of camera, because they don’t want to have old tech. So it is time to upgrade and not let your investments get old..
We all know that sensors are the opposite of wine: they sour with age. A picture from the K10D, taken today, has lower resolution and more noise than it had in 2009!
10-04-2019, 03:03 AM   #19

When I'm a billionäire I'll simply buy everything, wouldn't that simplify matters considerably...

Now where is that winning Euromillion lottery ticket...

10-04-2019, 03:14 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
We all know that sensors are the opposite of wine: they sour with age. A picture from the K10D, taken today, has lower resolution and more noise than it had in 2009!
It would be barely visible, but still noisy..
10-04-2019, 03:23 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sony definitely is trying to squeeze their users for all they're worth. Not sure if the improvements are enough that someone would spend 4500 dollars on them versus the original A9 which is still available new for 3500 (which still feels really expensive to me).
10-04-2019, 03:32 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I guess the a9 is aimed at news agencies that can put the resources needed for a full Sony pro kit (3500/4500 for body, 2500 for a 70-200 2.8, 2000 for 100-400?) Like wow that's a whole lot of money.

10-04-2019, 06:14 AM   #23
Veteran Member

The Nikon D5 and the Canon 1DxII are both $5,500 new or $1,000 more than the A9II and neither the Canon or the Nikon can match the Sony A9II in terms or AF tracking or frames per-second. The A9II is a good value for the photographers who need the features of this camera. The A9II is the same price as the original A9 was at launch and it sold well enough that Sony didn't see any reason to make it cheaper. For what the A9II does and in comparison to its competition its not an expensive option.
10-04-2019, 06:37 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I find it amusing that Sony is picking up a bit of flak - not just here - for actually doing what it should be doing - tailoring it's top of the range sports camera as far as it can to the needs of the people who it wants to use it - ie not making pointless innovations and including things that actually slow it down in it's core competence. A first rustle of discontent is heard amongst a fan base whose primary aim often appears to be to be on the 'winning' side - this might just not be a Canikon killer, just another highly competent camera to add to the available options.
10-04-2019, 09:25 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
My take on this topic: It's not tech constrained, it's business/resource limited => product life extension for the A9 instead of new sensor tech.

---------- Post added 04-10-19 at 07:00 ----------

Normally Sony upgrade camera models every two years. So I guess if Sony A9 ii is a Sony A9 tweaked it is because Sony did not achieve break even with the A9 model. With the A9 mk II there are trying to extend volumes while minimizing R&D costs.

---------- Post added 04-10-19 at 07:06 ----------

According to T&C N. the connectivity on current Sony models really sucks, unusable in fact. So I guess Sony listened to customer complains and really made the connectivity working and usuable on the new Sony A9II.
Isn't it possible to send the Sony A9 to Sony for a $500 upgrade to a Sony A9II? Possibility of cash back in exchange of an old Sony A9 ?
Never happenedSony never offer upgrade older version by new with cash
They keep All camera on the market just little drop price
My opinion only Pentax did this and nobody more
10-04-2019, 10:43 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I find it amusing that Sony is picking up a bit of flak - not just here - for actually doing what it should be doing - tailoring it's top of the range sports camera as far as it can to the needs of the people who it wants to use it - ie not making pointless innovations and including things that actually slow it down in it's core competence. A first rustle of discontent is heard amongst a fan base whose primary aim often appears to be to be on the 'winning' side - this might just not be a Canikon killer, just another highly competent camera to add to the available options.
I don't know that we are being particularly critical. This isn't really a camera that is in the wheel-house of most Pentaxians, but that doesn't mean it isn't for everyone.

The one thing I think pretty strongly is that we are getting to the end of the line of easy advancements. If you own an A9, what improvements would you want to see to make you want to move on to a new camera? 30 frames per second? 8K video? Voice to Text software on the camera?

My understanding is that this camera has a little better mechanical shutter, a little better software on board and some ergonomic tweaks. These are probably worth something, but when you can still buy the original A9, not sure if they are enough to warrant the 1000 dollar difference in price between the A9 and A9 II when both sport the same sensor.
10-04-2019, 11:11 AM   #27
Pentaxian

I’d say the same from A7IV. Only it did actually get quite a bit new things. I suppose it is a must to have a little grunt. Now what is worth what will be up to end consumer. Sony is aiming high, canikon is doing the same. Prize in this Clash is what it is and so is performance. Now if Canon or Nikon would come up with ’small’ upgrade, result would be the same. Nikon is already having ’rant’ for being DSLR...no matter how good. Winners will be users who are happy with what they got, right?

Not the guys who are whining.
10-08-2019, 07:45 AM   #28

Hear, hear...
You hit that one right on the nail. It IS simply as you say a little sharper tool for those into sports and they are saving money buying a faster camera than the other CaNikon options.
10-08-2019, 02:13 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes. Naive posters on the Sony forums were expecting a 36meg camera which really does not make a lot of sense for the intended use. It would also crowd the Sony line up. Many were also expecting to be able to pick up the original A9 cheaply. In time the people who are the intended market will probably be happy with the camera.
10-08-2019, 02:34 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Yes. Naive posters on the Sony forums were expecting a 36meg camera which really does not make a lot of sense for the intended use. It would also crowd the Sony line up. Many were also expecting to be able to pick up the original A9 cheaply. In time the people who are the intended market will probably be happy with the camera.
Sony Alpha Rumors is who started the 36MP rumor and that was due to Sony's recent announcement of a new high-speed 36MP sensor. Sony might have an A9r in the works, but my guess is that sensor will show up in the A7sIII with 8K support. The processing power and heat generation is going to be an issue. The A9 is all about speed and AF and Sony has maintained that focus and added better connectivity which is needed by their target market.

I like what Sony has done with the A9II. I won't be buying one, but I think they have done good job with the update. If I do anything. I will sell one of my A9 bodies and get an a7rIV. Those bodies complement each other rather well.