Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
05-02-2021, 12:16 AM   #121
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DSLR, only Pentax, SLR, in rough order, Cosina, Zenith, canon before settling on Olympus up until my first Pentax.

I've also used/owned Mamiya SLR and TLR and 4x5 sheet cameras, names now forgotten.

I still feel a certain fondness for Mamiya and waist level finders and have started to use my kp like that occasionally, sometimes the wheel comes full circle, maybe not quite the same as a Fresnel screen but not bad.

05-02-2021, 05:10 PM - 1 Like   #122
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
What is your opinion of the Sony , in comparison to Pentax DSL-R cameras/lenses. I see you have a Pentax K1 (full frame) .

It would be interesting to hear your assessment between your FF Pentax and your FF Sony.
I also have a Pentax K-3.

I got the Sony because I had been dreaming about a compact FF camera for hiking and traveling. The A7C fits that bill.

Ergonomics, menus logic, buttons placement, ruggedness, all strongly favour Pentax.

AF tracking strongly favours Sony. No contest there. On the other hand, I had to remap 3 buttons on the A7C to activate specific AF modes (center focus, wide focus, manual/quick shift)., and another to quickly toggle between various AF modes (essentially, between AFC and MF). Some things don't make sense, like why not disengage AF when I rotate the focus ring like Pentax does? A specific mode (incompatible with AFC) is required for that.

I prefer the K-1's tilting LCD but can live easily with the A7C's.

I actually like the viewfinder much more than I would have expected.

The burst mode is ludicrously accurate and fast (10 fps, rarely a missed shot).

I haven't tested all that many Sony lenses, but I had the chance to experiment with several from Tamron and Laowa. There are some pretty good lenses available on the E-mount, and manufacturers have started this year to release something in the spirit of the DA Limited (compact, F2.x aperture, primes).

I see Pentax as the superior tool for stills when you're not in a hurry, but the A7C is fantastic for when I want to move around.
05-02-2021, 06:11 PM   #123
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
I've also used/owned Mamiya ... TLR ... cameras, names now forgotten.
Not at all.

They remain forever famous for doubling your LBA!
05-02-2021, 09:08 PM   #124
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I also have a Pentax K-3.

I got the Sony because I had been dreaming about a compact FF camera for hiking and traveling. The A7C fits that bill.

Ergonomics, menus logic, buttons placement, ruggedness, all strongly favour Pentax.

AF tracking strongly favours Sony. No contest there. On the other hand, I had to remap 3 buttons on the A7C to activate specific AF modes (center focus, wide focus, manual/quick shift)., and another to quickly toggle between various AF modes (essentially, between AFC and MF). Some things don't make sense, like why not disengage AF when I rotate the focus ring like Pentax does? A specific mode (incompatible with AFC) is required for that.

I prefer the K-1's tilting LCD but can live easily with the A7C's.

I actually like the viewfinder much more than I would have expected.

The burst mode is ludicrously accurate and fast (10 fps, rarely a missed shot).

I haven't tested all that many Sony lenses, but I had the chance to experiment with several from Tamron and Laowa. There are some pretty good lenses available on the E-mount, and manufacturers have started this year to release something in the spirit of the DA Limited (compact, F2.x aperture, primes).

I see Pentax as the superior tool for stills when you're not in a hurry, but the A7C is fantastic for when I want to move around.
Thank you for your assessment of Sony A7C vs K1.

I like my K1, for the same reason you have. Great for stills and a robust, rugged camera. About two years ago, I bought a new Ricoh GR ll as I wanted a small, light, daily carry all camera, but one with at least an ASP-C sensor and a good lens. The GR ll meets that criteria and I've been happy with it.

Back in the film days, I used to carry either my small Olympus Clamshell 35mm, or my old (and small) Leica screw mount rangefinder (11f) with it's 50 mm collapsible lens. My small GR ll does the trick for me.

05-03-2021, 05:06 AM - 1 Like   #125
Pentaxian

Thank you for your assessment of Sony A7C vs K1.
A pleasure. These days I've been hiking a lot (not much else to do with Covid!) so the Sony has seen a lot of use.

About two years ago, I bought a new Ricoh GR ll as I wanted a small, light, daily carry all camera, but one with at least an ASP-C sensor and a good lens. The GR ll meets that criteria and I've been happy with it.
If Ricoh had made the GR iii weather resistant, I would probably have kept it when it was loaned to me for the pentaxforums review. These are great tools.
05-08-2021, 04:26 PM - 1 Like   #126
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Besides Pentax I currently own Ricoh, Nikon, Topcon, Olympus, Canon, Minolta, Miranda and Praktica 35mm film SLR cameras and lenses.
I also own a couple of Cosina Voigtlander interchangeable lens 35mm rangefinder cameras with lenses.

Chris
05-08-2021, 08:24 PM   #127
Loyal Site Supporter

Olympus (OM-1), Nikon (F, F2s, F3HP, FE, FM2,) Nikkormat FTN, Bronica ETRs, Crown Graphic 4x5, Burke & James monorail 4x5, Tachihara 4x5, Fuji XT-1.

06-28-2021, 01:13 AM   #128

Nikon D500, Ricoh GXR, some film cameras. I probably wouldn't have gotten the D500 (4/5 years ago) had the K3-III been available then.
08-07-2021, 11:15 AM   #129
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Rowland Quote
I started in the 1960s and from the mid 70s through to the 90s worked part time for a used camera dealer, so at one time or another have owned a LOT of different cameras. And I currently trade in old cameras and lenses on eBay, so have a lot I use for testing lenses etc.

Film - no longer own any of these
Exa 1, Exa 2, Exakta Varex (various models)
Canon AE1 and F1
Olympus Pen FT

Digital
Nikon D50 then D90 then Nikon D7000 - my main system
Canon Eos 300D then 350D then 400D - my main test bed for older lenses, I have a load of adapters for them.
Pentax K200D - for PK lenses, obviously
Sony A1000 - for Minolta and Sony A-mount lenses
Olympus E-500 (4/3 format) - replaced by Panasonic Lumix G1 micro 4/3 with adapter for the old 4/3 lenses and other lenses that can't be tested on normal SLRs, e.g. Leica
Sony Nex-5

I also have about 12 old 35mm bodies I use to test that lenses stop down and couple with metering etc. but never actually get used for photography, usually with faults that make them unsellable e.g. Praktica B and M42, Sigma, Canon FD, Minolta MD, Olympus OM, Fujica, Exa, Yashica, and 35mm Eos and early AF minolta that can be used for lenses that don't like the digital models.

Later - sorry, somehow I missed the "interchangeable lens" bit - I've edited out the ones that don't qualify
Replaced the Sony A100 with an A230 a while back. There was a viewfinder alignment problem with the A100, it was cheaper to replace it than fix it.