Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2019, 02:27 AM   #1
Pentaxian

What is on Canon focus confirmation adapter

Hi there,

I've never shoot a Canon but heard that there is a special focus confirmation adapter for Canon to adapt other lenses, why the FC in on the adapter not the camera ? what it does ?

10-08-2019, 08:17 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The adapter has a chip that allows it to emulate an EF lens.

Steve
10-08-2019, 12:05 PM   #3
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's not that the focus confirmation is in the lens. Canon is disabling the camera's focus confirmation when the camera doesn't electronically detect an EF lens. Thus Steve's explanation.
10-08-2019, 07:16 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Oh I see the logic, it is to trick the body to produce the AF info., but I would name it an AF lens emulator instead. I always feel that Canon is strange and do things the uncommon way, just like how they did the FT mount, inconvenient but worked, also the T90 was very strange at the time but a well done job.

10-08-2019, 10:05 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
Oh I see the logic, it is to trick the body to produce the AF info., but I would name it an AF lens emulator instead.
For some reason, adapters to EF mouint have been referred to for many years as being "chipped" or "non-chipped" to indicate whether the required contacts and logic chip is present for focus confirmation to work. I don't think Canon coined the term, but it is certainly descriptive.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-08-2019 at 10:14 PM.