Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2019, 03:18 PM   #1

Retrieving usable film from EOS500

Hi, I’ve got hold of an old EOS500 with a film in it that’s only used a few frames.
Seeing it’s a good film, I’d like to use the rest in my ME Super.
Does anyone know if the automatic rewind on the EOS500 will leave a lead/tail on the film, or wind it right back into canister? I’m probably safest just opening the back, manually removing the film and cutting a new lead right?

11-03-2019, 03:39 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you have a local lab, write down what frame you’re on and rewind it. The lab can pull the leader out again.

Then, put it in the Pentax, advance a frame or two past where it stopped before by shooting in manual mode (1/1000 s and f22) with the lens cap on, and go on your merry way.

Alternatively, you can buy your own leader retriever and do it yourself, but it needs practice to use one properly...

Or, your suggestion also works. You just won’t get to see the prior owner’s photos

-Eric
11-03-2019, 03:56 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Since you're going to remove the film canister anyway, why not do that in a dark room or changing bag and manually rewind the film into the canister, feeling the amount remaining until you have it to a point where the lights can be turned on? It shouldn't be too much film to rewind being there are only a few frames exposed and you can turn the canister film shaft until a tab remains. Then you can load it in your Pentax and advance it with the lens capped until you feel you're past the exposed frames and you're in business.
11-03-2019, 03:59 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks Eric, had no idea a leader retriever was a thing. This time I think I’ll just bin the spent frames - not curious enough
But I’ll add a retriever to the list of things to buy ����

---------- Post added 3rd Nov 2019 at 16:04 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
... why not do that in a dark room or changing bag and manually rewind the film into the canister ...
Ah that’s also a good idea! Clearly didn’t give this much thought did I!?