Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2019, 03:39 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
MAVIC 2 Pro

I'm being drawn to consider a Christmas gift for myself of a MAVIC 2 "drone". First question -
anyone out there with experience on this drone?

I understand the basic MAVIC 2 has a lens equivalent of 35mm (FF) and 20 Mp resolution while
the MAVIC 2 Zoom has a zoom lens and 12Mp resolution (and the latter costs more though it's
resolution is inferior to the former). Recommendations??

I wouldn't be using a smart phone but understand the same company has now introduced a
controller with its own 5 inch 1080 screen. Again, anyone with experience and
recommendations?

I own a few Pentax cameras (a K-1, a K-01, and a PZ-1p) but 1) they don't fly and 2) I don't want
to fly them ($$$$~~~~~crash) but have heard good things about the MAVIC 2 Pro (non-zoom)
so just wondering? I'd appreciate anyone's input.

Thanks

11-30-2019, 06:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Camera should be good on the non-zoom Pro - it's the same 20MP sensor as a Sony RX100, which is very capable camera. But the 35mm equivalent of the M2Pro fixed lens is 28mm:

QuoteQuote:
Mavic 2 Pro Camera
Sensor 1” CMOS
Effective Pixels: 20 million
Lens FOV: about 77°
35 mm Format Equivalent: 28 mm
Aperture: f/2.8–f/11
Shooting Range: 1 m to ∞
ISO Range Video:
100-6400
Photo:
100-3200 (auto)
100-12800 (manual)
Shutter Speed Electronic Shutter: 8–1/8000s
Still Image Size 5472×3648
Mavic 2 - Specifications, FAQs, Videos, Tutorials, Manuals - DJI

For photographic purposes, the non-zoom Mavic 2 Pro is probably the better choice of the two.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
I wouldn't be using a smart phone but understand the same company has now introduced a controller with its own 5 inch 1080 screen. Again, anyone with experience and recommendations?
The 'DJI Smart controller' certainly looks nice and bright but is expensive, and the screen is a little small. You could instead choose to clip a small tablet (like an iPad Mini) onto the regular Mavic 2 controller, which might be a cheaper option, and give you a bigger screen too. (You will need a hood for it, but DJI sells a tablet hood for the controller). I notice that you can also use both versions of the DJI Goggles with the Mavic 2, which could be handy.
12-01-2019, 02:12 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use a Mavic 2 Dual Enterprise for work. It has a thermal camera, but the RGB side is the same as the Zoom... except without the zoom! The photos are excellent, 4,6cm pixels from 100m altitude, and sharp definition. The smart controller is great, but a phone or tablet works perfectly too. I've heard that VR goggles are really good for photography, as you don't get flare off the screen etc.
BTW, I think the Mavic 2 Pro has a Hasselblad camera?
12-02-2019, 12:00 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks folks. I'm almost sold on the Pro. It's being offered today (cyber Monday) with the fly more package - controller, case, filters, 2 batteries, etc., for a little over $1800US which appears to be a good price since I've been seeing just the copter & controller for the same price.

I would be fine with a 28mm eq lens and value the resolution and IQ over zoom capability so the PRO looks better to me,

Anyway - your input and helpful info is appreciated!

12-02-2019, 06:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

That seems a good deal for the Fly More kit plus a Smart Controller, plus accessories.

The standard kit for a Mavic 2 includes a remote controller in the box, of course. Smart Controller is nice but very optional.

FWIW, if you see them for sale anywhere, DJI officially refurbished drones can be good value, and they will still come with warranty.