Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2019, 01:34 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I think canon are trying to put Sony back in their box. Even the sky arts program, masters of photography are using canon mirrorless rather than leica in the latest series. They are producing nice cameras too! I like the Nikon mirrorless range but you wonder if Nikon may have to step back and join the also rans. (Pentax are niche BTW, we don't lower ourselves to races )
Is that likely to be a sponsorship decision, though, rather than a case of artists selecting their own gear? Or maybe program bean-counters convincing the producers that they can do the same for lower cost?

I’m not suggesting Canon doesn’t make good stuff, mind, but there are other factors in decision-making. Either way, Canon would be keen to keep Sony away from prominence in a prestige program.

12-18-2019, 01:39 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Serious competition to MF cameras... I suppose it is an inhouse sensor, wondering how good it could be.
At least you can crop and crop and crop no need to have a 500mm anymore
12-18-2019, 11:25 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
Serious competition to MF cameras... I suppose it is an inhouse sensor, wondering how good it could be.
At least you can crop and crop and crop no need to have a 500mm anymore
Maybe. I recall Michael Reichmann from Luminous Landscape declaring that no-one needed Medium Format any more, after the first Canon 35mm DSLR was released (I can't recall the model, but it doesn't matter). Of course, he was just talking about resolution. For some reason, after that bold assertion, medium format digital cameras sold and have continued to sell, with more models now on the market than previously. I suspect that all this mooted Canon will do is briefly revive that assertion, and the other aspects of Medium Format will be ignored for a week or so, and things will revert to the way they were before.
12-19-2019, 12:21 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I already find the 50 Mp of my 645Z to be almost overwhelming - both in resolution as well processing and storage requirements.

If 36 x 24 sensors go down that route, I'll be sticking with my K-1's until they fall apart.

12-19-2019, 12:26 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I suspect something similar to the Nikon Noct f/0.95 - which is a 'see what we can do' lens - the 75mp sensor's main purpose would be partly to advertise the quality of the lenses - and it will sell too - Mp wars exist because people buy cameras (like other things) for bragging rights and to try to squeeze out a perceived advantage over others.

Last edited by ffking; 12-19-2019 at 03:22 PM.
12-19-2019, 12:42 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Is that likely to be a sponsorship decision, though, rather than a case of artists selecting their own gear? Or maybe program bean-counters convincing the producers that they can do the same for lower cost?

I’m not suggesting Canon doesn’t make good stuff, mind, but there are other factors in decision-making. Either way, Canon would be keen to keep Sony away from prominence in a prestige program.
It probably is cost related. The photographers are issued with gear. I would imagine the producers polled the manufacturers for the best deal and canon were happy to oblige they do make great gear. Canon is the preeminent brand at Lancaster photographic society and the image quality is great. I won't be jumping ship any time soon though! It would be like selling my Honda and buying a vauxhall
12-19-2019, 03:23 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
that rumor leaves me wonder why not just use a medium format. Even more wonder why no update news on Pentax's medium format camera.
Medium format has a lot to gain from mirrorless. Pentax should stay ovf, its in the name. I had a vision of a medium format GR though. Strange and beautiful beast it was ;-)

12-19-2019, 03:50 AM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Canon are preparing the launch of a new EOS R model with 75Mpixels sensor.
*yawn* I have only seen two Canon RF cameras in use in the studios where I work, I have worked with and seen far more of Fuji,SONY,Leica/Panasonic and Nikon which are more competent and relevant players in the mirrorless arena. Canon are playing catch up - their only trump card is they have their own sensor design and fabrication capabilities, and they can do ridiculous stunts like cram this many photosites onto a sensor. The only problem is that Canons sensor fabrication tech is at least one/two generations behind that of SONY's. So in all probability like the 5DsR, this sensor is going to be noisy as hell at ISO values where more advanced SONY sensors will render with relative clarity.
12-19-2019, 03:52 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
that rumor leaves me wonder why not just use a medium format. Even more wonder why no update news on Pentax's medium format camera.
Medium format has a lot to gain from mirrorless. Pentax should stay ovf, its in the name. I had a vision of a medium format GR though. Strange and beautiful beast it was ;-)
12-19-2019, 04:59 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

Certainly far too big for my needs. What Canon need to do is incorporate the tech they used on their new APS-C sensor, which is apparently very good indeed, making it the first good sensor Canon have ever made (in 2019!!).
12-19-2019, 12:26 PM - 2 Likes   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I suspect something similar to the Nikon Noct f/0.95 - which is a 'see what we can do' lens - the 75mm sensor's main purpose would be partly to advertise the quality of the lenses - and it will sell too - Mp wars exist because people buy cameras (like other things) for bragging rights and to try to squeeze out a perceived advantage over others.
Sooner or later, people will wake up to the fact that they’re upgrading for little to no perceived advantage. This generally happens when a particular technology is pushed well into the Diminishing Returns part of the curve, which is where phones and camera bodies are right now. You could probably add SUVs to that, in the next year or so.
12-19-2019, 02:57 PM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

When I take a picture of a person at, say, 3 meters away with a 120mm, wide angle lens on my Crown Graphic, it is not the same picture as someone with a K1000 and a 35mm lens. I'm not talking about the quality difference between 135 canister film and sheet film. I'm talking about the look that the longer focal length gives for approx. the equivalent FOV.

Digital should be no different. The thing right now is medium format sensors are not that big in area compared to FF sensors to require longer focal lengths like the extreme I gave on film. Sometimes I do see that attribute in the better work from MFD today. So that's an inherent thing you can't buy with more FF pixels, IMHO.

Last edited by tuco; 12-19-2019 at 03:50 PM.
12-19-2019, 04:51 PM   #28
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It appears they’re in a hurry to chase a a false mf by throwing more mp’s at the ff format. The target 44mm x 33mm camera sensors are smaller than the old 127 super slide size which was never considered a true mf, more of an oversize 35mm format. Wait til they have to compare against a true 6x6 or 6x7 digital sensor.
12-19-2019, 05:40 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I'm not talking about the quality difference between 135 canister film and sheet film. I'm talking about the look that the longer focal length gives for approx. the equivalent FOV.
Making the casual consumer aware of the subtle nature of that difference is going to be much harder. In the classes I teach, even experienced photographers find the subtle differences between formats will often fly right over their heads*. I suppose it is something one has to experience for themselves, and with the price barrier lowering every decade the possibility that ideally, even amateur photographers will be able to afford to choose from a greater variety of formats and develop a discriminating eye in regard to format choice.

* Unless it is a rather extreme instance that makes obvious use of the one of the main advantages of large format cameras: camera movements. Years ago, Hasselblad made the arcbody/flexbody which gave 6X6 format cameras movements [though with considerably more constraints regarding the degree of movements afforded depending upon lens choice] in a similar fashion to large format cameras, During the film era the arcbody/flexbody never really took off as it was rather awkward to work with [manual focusing aids don't work well with tilts, also the camera was completely manual]. With digital backs having come a long way, the arcbody/flexbody owners are able to use these cameras with greater freedom. Why it hasn't been modernized and re-introduced by Hasselblad utterly mystifies me.

yep, that's right, large format camera movements in a medium format package.
12-19-2019, 07:01 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
More Mp on same format eliminates occurrences of moire for sensors without oaa filter. Other than that, it's better to have more Mp and a larger sensor.