Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
12-21-2019, 08:30 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Purportedly, this is to ease the transition of pro Canon shooters who have resisted the mirrorless push.
Here's an idea... instead of spending metric buttloads of money on crazy designs and relentless mirrorless push marketing, why not simply make cameras that people want to buy.

That would be way more profitable and make customers way more happy than being beaten over the head to buy a product they don't want.

12-21-2019, 09:21 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I hadn't realized its April first already... oh wait it isn't, someone must have put something in Tony's eggnog
12-21-2019, 09:27 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I haven't heard any complaints about the adapters they already have. The lenses Canon has been using for over thirty years now are a fully Electronic mount {like Pentax eventually reached with KAF4}, which means the adapter just had to make sure the right signals got to the lens - making an adapter in that case was very easy.
Sorry, my comment wasn't meant to be taken serious. It was just a weird idea that struck me instantaniously. I'm sure Canon manufactures great adapters.
12-21-2019, 09:54 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Here's an idea... instead of spending metric buttloads of money on crazy designs and relentless mirrorless push marketing, why not simply make cameras that people want to buy.

That would be way more profitable and make customers way more happy than being beaten over the head to buy a product they don't want.
Canon has been a market leader for a number of years now. I doubt if they do not actually make cameras that people actually want to buy.

12-21-2019, 11:16 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote

Canon does "make cameras that people want to buy"... they just don't want to buy them over and over again
12-21-2019, 12:17 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
the viewfinder would operate as an OVF when using SLR lenses and as an EVF with mirrorless lenses
Consider the source (Tony Youtube, not the OP) and then remember that there was a discussion here several months ago about exactly the same thing. I checked my posts to try to find the thread, but I can only go back to June of this year. Somehow, someone got the idea that RF mount lenses offer something that isn't available in Canon's other mounts, so Canon must be working tirelessly to find ways for those poor folk who can't afford to replace their 5D's with an EOS-R to spend money on these special RF mount lenses instead. Too bad Canon didn't fill the gaps in their existing lens lineup before they started producing these fantastic new lenses in RF-mount.

Mind you, in the real world, Canon has already produced an EF to RF adapter, so people who buy the EOS-R cameras can use the EF lenses they already own on their new cameras. Any Canon user that feels the need to use an EVF is not restricted at all in the lenses they can use to take photos. That only makes sense, this latest rehash of the how do mirrorless zealots convert DSLR devotees is just plain nuts.
12-21-2019, 12:25 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zooland Quote
Is he the Sony spokesperson?
Yes

12-21-2019, 02:41 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I haven't heard any complaints about the adapters they already have. The lenses Canon has been using for over thirty years now are a fully Electronic mount {like Pentax eventually reached with KAF4}, which means the adapter just had to make sure the right signals got to the lens - making an adapter in that case was very easy.
Kinda sounds like the dslr crowd wants new lenses but not mirrorless and canon doesn't want to produce both. Lensrentals just posted 51/49 rentals for the year. Mirrorless lost by a hair.
12-21-2019, 02:51 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I broke the habit of not watching Tony's tech/gear videos – all right, any of his videos – and tried to concentrate on that one. And failed. Sorry Tone, just can't take that seriously; it's got Heath Robinson* written all over it, a complex solution to address an irrelevant problem. In other words, phooey.

*Rube Goldberg, if you're in North America
12-21-2019, 02:56 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Kinda sounds like the dslr crowd wants new lenses but not mirrorless and canon doesn't want to produce both. Lensrentals just posted 51/49 rentals for the year. Mirrorless lost by a hair.
Canon has produced so many EF-mount lenses during the past thirty years that there are plenty of them in circulation to meet virtually any conceivable need even if they didn't produce any more, and because of adapters those same lenses are also available to MILC users without any loss of functionality. I really believe that a camera which can use lenses for either mount is a solution for a problem that does not exist.
12-21-2019, 03:03 PM   #26
Pentaxian

I really believe that a camera which can use lenses for either mount is a solution for a problem that does not exist.
I am saying to keep dslr users buying new lenses w/o manufacturing dslr lenses it fits.
Those must have the new thing but don't want mirrorless seem to be half their market.
12-22-2019, 12:44 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I just saw a video from from Dave McKeegan a couple weeks ago talking about it:
12-22-2019, 10:03 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
I am saying to keep dslr users buying new lenses w/o manufacturing dslr lenses it fits.
Those must have the new thing but don't want mirrorless seem to be half their market.
I am saying that a Canon EOS-R or EOS-M user can right now use both types of lens {EF-mount or native mount} without the apparent mechanical complexity of the new camera, so “why bother?”
12-23-2019, 10:12 PM   #29
Pentaxian

So its a DSLR that flips up the mirror for EVF/LV when a MILC lens is attached?

How does it take care of flange distance difference between MILC and DSLR?
Canon EF lenses are all on-lens motor driven, so they can easily have an adapter, but the mirror box would still form a bulk to the system.

There are enough existing and new pros switching to MILC (ie. Sony), I don't see how all this is worth the RnD money to please some who have not switched.