Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
01-01-2020, 04:13 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
the C-new coming this year/aka the olympic model

01-01-2020, 05:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The will probably be the last of the 1D series DSLR to see mass use by professionals. Maybe the last 1D body we will see.
01-01-2020, 06:13 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The will probably be the last of the 1D series DSLR to see mass use by professionals. Maybe the last 1D body we will see.
Yes,highly likely.

The rumoured R 2 and R hiRes will surface this year(there's some sort of announcement in a few day?)

Exciting times ahead for RF mount.
01-01-2020, 07:34 PM - 2 Likes   #4
mee
Veteran Member

Both Canon and Nikon need to launch 2nd gen mirrorless bodies that resolve their respective and often complained about flaws. Plus keep the 1st gen bodies around at a reduced price as a lower tier as Sony has. And maybe have Tamron and Sigma crack the mount and offer competing lenses in RF and Z. All before I think they'll finally take off with the DSLR holder-on-ers that aren't totally put off from EVFs.

I really want to see a Z6 mark II with contacts for a portrait grip and two SD slots. These mirrorless bodies are all so tiny to me. I require the extra grip just to hold on to the camera without cramping my hand muscles from holding such a small camera in an awkward manner. Plus the portrait controls are handy...

Camera makers are strange sometimes. They sell to a specific demographic -- namely humans who record images with photographic devices -- but somehow don't realize that the same demographic buying DSLRs for decades aren't going to suddenly jump on a largely different device type.

Namely, someone who is used to big, sturdy camera body is likely going to expect big sturdy camera body in whatever comes next. They aren't likely all going to suddenly say 'yes this total shift in ergonomics is exactly what I was expecting and is easy to adapt to' haha

Its like someone coming out with a wedged shaped truck and being surprised a large chunk of market looks sideways at it. It's a dramatic change and dramatic changes are often polarizing, because people come to expect aspects that they previously had (esp when they made sense to them) to continue onward.

I mainly say that because Nikon corporate seemed confused or surprised the Z lineup didn't sell as well as they initially antitcipated for the year. Even though the Z models were rather limited from their DSLR counterparts in size and features (and yet priced very highly).

01-01-2020, 09:27 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Both Canon and Nikon need to launch 2nd gen mirrorless bodies that resolve their respective and often complained about flaws. Plus keep the 1st gen bodies around at a reduced price as a lower tier as Sony has. And maybe have Tamron and Sigma crack the mount and offer competing lenses in RF and Z. All before I think they'll finally take off with the DSLR holder-on-ers that aren't totally put off from EVFs.

I really want to see a Z6 mark II with contacts for a portrait grip and two SD slots. These mirrorless bodies are all so tiny to me. I require the extra grip just to hold on to the camera without cramping my hand muscles from holding such a small camera in an awkward manner. Plus the portrait controls are handy...

Camera makers are strange sometimes. They sell to a specific demographic -- namely humans who record images with photographic devices -- but somehow don't realize that the same demographic buying DSLRs for decades aren't going to suddenly jump on a largely different device type.

Namely, someone who is used to big, sturdy camera body is likely going to expect big sturdy camera body in whatever comes next. They aren't likely all going to suddenly say 'yes this total shift in ergonomics is exactly what I was expecting and is easy to adapt to' haha

Its like someone coming out with a wedged shaped truck and being surprised a large chunk of market looks sideways at it. It's a dramatic change and dramatic changes are often polarizing, because people come to expect aspects that they previously had (esp when they made sense to them) to continue onward.

I mainly say that because Nikon corporate seemed confused or surprised the Z lineup didn't sell as well as they initially antitcipated for the year. Even though the Z models were rather limited from their DSLR counterparts in size and features (and yet priced very highly).
Many of us were accustomed to smaller bodies, and then suddenly the companies decided they should give a bigger “choice” - and only that “choice”. The “Super Program” that I purchased in 1983 was significantly smaller than the KP which is considered today to be so small - and the “Super Program” was quite large compared to the rangefinder camera which preceded it.
01-01-2020, 11:20 PM - 1 Like   #6
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Many of us were accustomed to smaller bodies, and then suddenly the companies decided they should give a bigger “choice” - and only that “choice”. The “Super Program” that I purchased in 1983 was significantly smaller than the KP which is considered today to be so small - and the “Super Program” was quite large compared to the rangefinder camera which preceded it.
Indeed the current trend in many mirrorless digital camera designs is a throw back to the dark days of SLR handling and product design. Back when cameras were essentially a tiny rectangle shaped box with buttons and a place to hold the film. *shivers*

I think the mid 80s were a turning point.. an awakening (if you will) to considering handling in camera design. It makes sense if one considers how the hand can rest normally, the increase in lens weight and size today, and generally well... the size of a grown man's hand in the western world.

What would be really great is a D750 or even D500 sized mirrorless body. That would probably be pretty smart in helping transition DSLR users over to the mirrorless side a little better. And I've seen pretty long threads asking just for that this past year -- seems to be a relatively common request.

I think, over time, the current generation of mirrorless body designs will shift to larger forms and then there will be more of a mix. Or at least one can hope. There has to be some design and specification limitations baked in to the 1st gens to give Canon and Nikon room to create new products to build off of... instead of throwing in the kitchen sink and having nothing for years and years to announce.
01-02-2020, 03:46 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Medium Format tended to be where professionals gravitated and those cameras were certainly quite a bit bigger. These days, you will find most pros shooting with 35mm.

I think the biggest thing, though, has to do with the size of lenses you use with your camera. If you are someone who shoots with f2.8 zooms quite a bit (I do), it is nice to have a camera body that provides some balance to that lens. For slower aperture lenses and primes, it doesn't really make a difference.

01-02-2020, 08:33 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Indeed the current trend in many mirrorless digital camera designs is a throw back to the dark days of SLR handling and product design. Back when cameras were essentially a tiny rectangle shaped box with buttons and a place to hold the film. *shivers.

I think the mid 80s were a turning point.. an awakening (if you will) to considering handling in camera design. It makes sense if one considers how the hand can rest normally, the increase in lens weight and size today, and generally well... the size of a grown man's hand in the western world.
You shiver - but I cheer - at the cameras before the late 1980's. The photo below (*) demonstrates what you can see even more dramatically in person - that the so-called 'small' KP is noticeably larger than the cameras it resembles - the cameras of the 1980's. I have found that many Canon fans like a smaller camera - only here do I hear as much complaining about 'small' cameras, such as the KP. I have "normal"- hands according to industry - I can fit on "medium" gloves - and the KP with its smallest grip is a tad larger than I would prefer .... and yes I am a "Western" man, as far as I can determine, I have DNA from Hungary, Germany, Ireland, and England.

(*) show are the Canon rangefinder camera I purchased in 1973, the Canon "AE-1 Program" my mother purchased around 1981, the Pentax "Super Program" I purchased in 1983, and the 'small' Pentax "KP"
Attached Images

01-02-2020, 08:43 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Medium Format tended to be where professionals gravitated and those cameras were certainly quite a bit bigger. These days, you will find most pros shooting with 35mm.

I think the biggest thing, though, has to do with the size of lenses you use with your camera. If you are someone who shoots with f2.8 zooms quite a bit (I do), it is nice to have a camera body that provides some balance to that lens. For slower aperture lenses and primes, it doesn't really make a difference.
Professions may add a battery grip to their camera - perhaps companies should make them larger for so-called "FF" cameras.

I learned in the 1970's-1980's to take photographs with both hands. Properly performed, the left hand - not the camera body - balances the lens on the camera. I do shoot a 77-420mm f/8-9.5 lens (*) on my KP. This is a matter of choice - a smaller lens is easier for me to lug on long walks with my wife; I believe Pentax is also going that way with the graceful high ISO performance of their smaller bodies. The smaller aperture allowed by a higher ISO setting allows me more DoF, and the KP focuses just fine with this lens.

(*) what I call the 55-300mm PLM lens + 1.4X TC that I almost always use
01-02-2020, 04:38 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Both Canon and Nikon need to launch 2nd gen mirrorless bodies that resolve their respective and often complained about flaws.
This statement may have been relevant after launch time when both systems were "immediately" compared with SONY third generation models.

However, both brands have had a number of firmware updates and from what I've seen are pretty competitive.
01-03-2020, 04:00 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
This statement may have been relevant after launch time when both systems were "immediately" compared with SONY third generation models.

However, both brands have had a number of firmware updates and from what I've seen are pretty competitive.
I think mee specifically mentioned adding the ability to add a grip to the Z6 and adding a second card slot. Those are the sorts of things that you can't fix with a firmware update.
01-03-2020, 04:23 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

I do shoot a 77-420mm f/8-9.5 lens (*) on my KP. This is a matter of choices lens.

(*) what I call the 55-300mm PLM lens + 1.4X TC that I almost always use
Thank you very much for the clarification.

First time I'd ever seen that reference. LOL! I like it....
01-03-2020, 04:23 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Complete specifications of the Canon EOS 1D-X Mark III, albeit in Korean, together with 12 pictures:

Canon - Google Drive

Source: Nokishita Camera Twitter
01-03-2020, 04:53 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think mee specifically mentioned adding the ability to add a grip to the Z6 and adding a second card slot.
The cameras were designed the way they are, like your cameras.Every camera ever released can be improved upon.

Last edited by surfar; 01-03-2020 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Spellcheck
01-03-2020, 05:15 AM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
The cameras were designed they way they are, like your cameras.Every camera ever released can be improved upon.
I think you missed his point.

As I read it he likes the overall idea of the Z6 even if it's lacking in his opinion. For it to be "his kind of camera" it needs specific improvements. For it to be "your kind of camera" it may be perfect just as it is. Choice is good.