Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-28-2020, 01:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Minolta Autocord 2 1/4" x 2 1/4"...... ?

In the cache of camera gear I've been asked to dispose of by my friend's widow is a Minolta Autocord 2 1/4" x 2 1/4". It has a 78mm f:3.5 Rokkor lens. It seems to be functionally sound but looks like it could use a very thorough cleaning.

Are these cameras of any value? I'm not interested in selling it outside of the Pentax Marketplace, but I don't know anything about them.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 

Last edited by Dewman; 01-28-2020 at 01:35 PM.
01-28-2020, 04:40 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
It’s a TLR which shoots 6cm x 6cm negatives on 120 film. The Minolta Autocord is well regarded. Check ended listings on the auction site for an idea as to price.
01-28-2020, 06:10 PM - 1 Like   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Autocord is very highly regarded by several members of Pentax Forums. I am definitely anticipating when this batch comes to market. BTW...I would leave it to the purchaser to do whatever repair or service might be needed. It is unlikely you would recoup the cost in a higher purchase price.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-28-2020 at 06:20 PM.
01-28-2020, 06:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The Autocord is very highly regarded by several members of Pentax Forums. I am definitely anticipating when this batch comes to market. BTW...I would leave it to the purchaser to do whatever repair or service might be needed. It is unlikely you would recoup the cost in a higher purchase price.

Steve
No Steve, I don't intend to try any cleaning other than a little "lipstick brush." Is there any value to the old fashioned "Camcorder" that took the video cassette? I have three or four of them, Sony, Ricoh. I would imagine it's sort of like having a couple of electric typewriters, huh?

01-28-2020, 07:00 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
I would imagine it's sort of like having a couple of electric typewriters, huh?
I would imagine typewriters would be worth more. Strangely enough, there is a market for them for business tasks much as their remains a market for dot-matrix printers.

Steve
01-28-2020, 09:57 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's what my dad used for wedding photography. Very impressive viewfinder.
01-30-2020, 10:56 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I'd certainly take pictures with that camera. I can't say any specifics about that brand of a TLR. But some things that might come with age include a yellowing focus matte, slow or sticking leaf shutter and a stiff winder from gummy lubricant in the gearing. Perhaps get a roll of film just to run it through the camera to get a feel of the transport and asses its slowest shutter speeds before you sell it just so you can say something more about it than its appearance.

Last edited by tuco; 01-30-2020 at 11:01 AM.
01-30-2020, 03:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I took some new photos of it today and I'm going to list it on the Marketplace, basically "as-is." Everything seems to work as-advertised, but I'm not going to run any film through it. I'll leave that surprise to the new owner.
01-31-2020, 11:24 AM   #9
Veteran Member

One just popped up on ebay uk from a dealer, listed as near mint asking £249
01-31-2020, 11:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Astro-Baby Quote
One just popped up on ebay uk from a dealer, listed as near mint asking £249

Well, I guess the price I asked on the Market Place might be quite a bargain for someone, eh?
01-31-2020, 04:11 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There were several iterations and models of the Autocord, the one at the top of this thread being a fairly early one I believe. Since there isn't a large market for these cameras it is hard to put valuations on these various models. i guess much would depend on the condition of both lenses, the focusing lever (which is reportedly brittle on some versions although solid on both of my Autocords), and the reflex mirror on the viewing side. The mirrors on my Autocords have darkened some over time, assuming it's not my eyes, which otherwise seem to be OK.
02-14-2020, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Minolta Autocord

I have an Autocord with the built in meter, which works! Amazing! But the meter is a PITA to use. The comments about the focus lever are accurate; it is made of an alloy which has been known to break. I also own a YashicaMat w. meter, and an Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex. Of the three the Autocord I find the most user friendly, as always YMMV.
Many users have compared it favorably to the Rolleicord, and to f3.5 models of the Rolleiflex. although it lacks the "automatic" film loading of the 'flex, using instead a "semi" automatic loading, with automatic film stop. See Mike Butkus' Orphan Cameras site for a pfd of an instruction manual. I'd suggest that the OP load it up and give it a test drive. You might decide to buy it for yourself.
02-14-2020, 04:35 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
I'd suggest that the OP load it up and give it a test drive. You might decide to buy it for yourself.
Too late...he sold it to me!

Steve
02-14-2020, 04:36 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sholom Quote
There were several iterations and models of the Autocord, the one at the top of this thread being a fairly early one I believe.
Export version, circa 1958.

Steve
02-14-2020, 05:05 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Autocord was my favorite camera, and has only recently been passed by the Pentax K-1.

There was something about it's images! I owned 4 or 5 other medium format 120/220 film cameras (including Hassy) and the Autocord was always my favorite.