Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
01-31-2020, 06:51 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mavic Mini

I bought a Mavic Mini kit early last month, but only made a few videos with it and didn't use it again until a couple of days ago while visiting my sister at their lake home. I have a long way to go on editing video, but I'm having lots of fun with the DJI Mavic Mini. Anyone else have one of these nifty little drones?

01-31-2020, 09:10 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That's a neat little clip,I use a fake minimavic EachineE58.Just a cheap knockoff that does a good enough job.
02-01-2020, 08:08 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got a Mavic 2 Pro just before Christmas and have been using it to photograph construction on our new church addition. It gets incredible shots, and while sharp, I've been just a bit disappointed with the Hasselblad camera in terms of colorimetry and a dark band across the lower section of the frame (looks like some type of vignetting though it isn't). These issues aren't noticeable in a typical picture so no big deal compared to the advantage of using a drone for photography. I supplement the sky photos with ground photos taken with my K-1 - lots of comments on the drone shots.

DJI who makes the Mavic line and others has so-so support. They are very creative in the product features but if you have issues, you can often get more help from the community than from DJI. They provide almost no support in the initial package (a startup guide is about all) so I found that accessing the features depended a lot on searching the web and user experience. The machines themselves are quite capable.

I suggest you visit the Mavic Pilots site where they have a Mini Mavic column. Lots of MM fly-aways so you might pick up on that issue just in case. Drones open a whole new world of photography and video.

Happy Flying and picture taking

PS: If you haven't registered yet, go directly to the FAA DroneZone (for US flyers) and register there. You pay one low fee and don't get clipped extra for going through some of the other sites that give "training" and clip you extra for the fee and registration process.

DJI Mavic Drone Forum

Last edited by Bob 256; 02-01-2020 at 08:24 AM.
02-01-2020, 02:35 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
I got a Mavic 2 Pro just before Christmas and have been using it to photograph construction on our new church addition. It gets incredible shots, and while sharp, I've been just a bit disappointed with the Hasselblad camera in terms of colorimetry and a dark band across the lower section of the frame (looks like some type of vignetting though it isn't). These issues aren't noticeable in a typical picture so no big deal compared to the advantage of using a drone for photography. I supplement the sky photos with ground photos taken with my K-1 - lots of comments on the drone shots.

DJI who makes the Mavic line and others has so-so support. They are very creative in the product features but if you have issues, you can often get more help from the community than from DJI. They provide almost no support in the initial package (a startup guide is about all) so I found that accessing the features depended a lot on searching the web and user experience. The machines themselves are quite capable.

I suggest you visit the Mavic Pilots site where they have a Mini Mavic column. Lots of MM fly-aways so you might pick up on that issue just in case. Drones open a whole new world of photography and video.

Happy Flying and picture taking

PS: If you haven't registered yet, go directly to the FAA DroneZone (for US flyers) and register there. You pay one low fee and don't get clipped extra for going through some of the other sites that give "training" and clip you extra for the fee and registration process.

DJI Mavic Drone Forum
Thanks for the info! The Mini doesn't require registration, thus far. And yes, I do visit mavic and Mini-specific groups. The fly away problem likely is mostly due to uninformed operator errors. Most seem to conclude that there is no huge problem with the software or hardware. Coming from a looong R/C aircraft background, I at least had a little bit of a leg up when I bought the Mini.

02-02-2020, 04:28 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sound's good. That R/C background will really help. A lot of people don't understand the advertised range for control is for line-of-sight and greatly drops (or loss of control completely ceases) if intervening objects come in the way, which is one mode for drone loss. Also, there's an option in the Mavic line that if control is lost, the craft lands where it is - not the best option. Always check the "return-to-home" option for signal loss.

Great video.

Enjoy.

Last edited by Bob 256; 02-02-2020 at 04:33 PM.
02-28-2020, 03:03 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Sound's good. That R/C background will really help. A lot of people don't understand the advertised range for control is for line-of-sight and greatly drops (or loss of control completely ceases) if intervening objects come in the way, which is one mode for drone loss. Also, there's an option in the Mavic line that if control is lost, the craft lands where it is - not the best option. Always check the "return-to-home" option for signal loss.

Great video.

Enjoy.
Thanks! I'll make sure that option is set (I think it is). Automatic landing onto a tree or lake is a no go, lol.
02-28-2020, 12:08 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
Thanks! I'll make sure that option is set (I think it is). Automatic landing onto a tree or lake is a no go, lol.
That being said, make sure the return to home height is set higher than anything in the area you're flying in since when you do an automatic return to home, the craft will go to that height and then do a straight line path to a spot above the landing zone (and then drops straight down), so if anything is in that path, it could be bad.

02-28-2020, 05:56 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
That being said, make sure the return to home height is set higher than anything in the area you're flying in since when you do an automatic return to home, the craft will go to that height and then do a straight line path to a spot above the landing zone (and then drops straight down), so if anything is in that path, it could be bad.
Oh, that could be bad! I always set it, because about 1 out of 3 flights, I end up hitting RTH to get it back in the vicinity
05-01-2020, 08:43 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Some stills

05-25-2020, 06:53 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Low Clouds

[