Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
03-04-2020, 07:49 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Open question: Nikon Z6/Z7

Here is an open invitation for anyone with experience with the Nikon Z system to share what they've learned, including any head-to-head comparisons with current Pentax K-1mII system.

03-05-2020, 04:03 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A little bit web research provides a good insight of the differences between a Pentax K1II and a Z6/Z7.
My experience using the Z6 is that AF is quick, as good as or better than K1. But EVF experience is total crappy (significant time lag between moving the camera and seeing the EVF updated, rolling effect when panning), compared to the comfortable OVF of the Pentax K1. One of the things that's not easily found in the web is regarding the built quality of those mirrorless cameras, Z6/7 rubber grip is gone in about one year of use. Other things on the Nikon Z: cheapo plastic seals, flimsy battery door and no proper vertical grip. Beside that, there are more top quality primes lenses priced within $500 - $1000 bracket than any Pentaxian can dream of for her/his Pentax K-1. And you never have to wait for SD card writting on the Z6, the XQD memory card swallow image files instantly. Personally, the Pentax K1 is state of the art for image quality, so it gives me plenty of time to see how the Nikon Z system will evolve, and especially how the next Nikon Z model will be, baring in mind that the Z6/Z7 were the first FF mirrorless models of Nikon, so I expect to see shortcomings fixed in the next Nikon Z models. For me, currently , there isn't enough difference between a K1 and Z7 to justify the cost of switching, except maybe if a must have lens isn't available at all for Pentax and there is no third party lens work around. Ricoh shoud make the effort to bring two primes lenses to market to avoid some customers to be forced to the exit door.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 03-05-2020 at 04:09 AM.
03-05-2020, 04:17 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@MJKoski mentioned that he had used the Z6 and didn't feel as though it could keep up with the KP due to PDAF banding issues, much less with the K-1. Of course, he is someone who pushes his images to the extreme and my guess is that in every day shooting the Nikon Z cameras would be fine and would do better with regard to AF-C performance.
03-05-2020, 06:57 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
For me, currently , there isn't enough difference between a K1 and Z7 to justify the cost of switching
Thanks to both of you for the response. I was looking for real world hands-on experience, and I got some from both of you. The Z7+lenses are a significant weight savings over the Pentax, and in fact the hugeness of the DFA zooms might be the main reason I never purchased one. So I was specifically curious about comfort, build-quality (which is surprisingly lacking from much of what I've looked at online), and longevity. Biz's take on the EVF was a surprise and I've not heard that before, and so I don't really believe it... but maybe more will support his view? Thanks!

03-05-2020, 07:05 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Z6 and didn't feel as though it could keep up with the KP due to PDAF banding issues
banding issues can be a problem when pulling shadows, although this can be mitigated by using an ND grad filter or bracketed exposures. The annoying photographic case is when doing very long exposures (2 minutes sunsets or longer) when it is not possible to bracket. The S1, S1R is the FF milc that doesn't use PDAF on sensor , but is as big as a K1, still Pana L mount will have more interesting lenses than Pentax by the end of 2020 (3 primes and f4 zooms from 16 to 200mm).

---------- Post added 05-03-20 at 15:11 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
The Z7+lenses are a significant weight savings over the Pentax, and in fact the hugeness of the DFA zooms might be the main reason I never purchased one.
Good point. The dilemma for me is the form factor. Z6/Z7 is small but the primes are big, so if I stick an FA35 f2 on my K1 it's actually more compact than a Z7 with a Z 35 f1.8 S lens, weight is about the same, but holding the K1 with FA35 2 actually feels better than holding a Z7 with a Z 35 1.8. Ricoh seem to be missing the plot with lenses such as the DFA*50 (big like Canon or Nikon) while Pentax had the small primes for film. Practically, a Pentax K1 with a pancake prime fit better in my bag than a mirrorless with a large lens, form factor is the key here, just trying it out makes us realize the difference. IMO Ricoh should roll out 20mm f4, 35mm f2, 50 f2 and 85mm f1.8 compact glass and so far I haven't seen anything like that apart from adding a green ring to the FA35 2. I just feel like Ricoh are playing lazy with regards to Pentax.

---------- Post added 05-03-20 at 15:37 ----------

My ideal Pentax K1 primes set wishful thinkin:
- all metal build like the DA limited look, black & silver
- 9 blades rounted
- HD coating

Focal len. and apertures.
- DFA 20mm f4
- DFA 35mm f2
- DFA 50mm f2
- DFA 85mm f2

Compact size, weight: < 500gr (300gr for 20mm, 35mm, 400gr for the 50mm and 500gr for the 85mm)

Sharpness: sharp in the center wide open , sharp at f2.8, and tack sharp across the frame by f4
Initial price: $499 / 499 euros (cheaper and smaller than canikonsony)
Affordable, perfect prime kit for the K1 & K1 successors (if there will be any..)

Last edited by biz-engineer; 03-05-2020 at 07:37 AM.
03-05-2020, 12:28 PM - 1 Like   #6

There're good reviews of these new Nikkor lenses by Alik Griffin at alikgriffin.com, also flickr provides some information of what these lenses are about. Personally I see them to be the best in a value for money category at the market (in Russia, for example, 43lim is a bit more expensive than a brand new Z 50 1.8). And Nikon Z system is perhaps the best for all-around use (suddenly nice colours, good AF, very good quite fast-focusing lenses, video specs) right now.

Also Z mount:
  • is the same for a full-frame and an APS-C cameras (like Pentax but unlike Canon);
  • is capable for taking any lenses with adapters (including Sony E - hello Loxias and Voigtländers);
  • seems to be OK to take lenses for a 44 x 33 frame (Pentax 645 and Fuji GFX), so may be we will see a Nikon MF camera in future.
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
My ideal Pentax K1 primes set wishful thinkin:
- all metal build like the DA limited look, black & silver
- 9 blades rounted
- HD coating

Focal len. and apertures.
- DFA 20mm f4
- DFA 35mm f2
- DFA 50mm f2
- DFA 85mm f2
That's actually what Nikon has done and what we have now with FA lims (except no 20mm). For me 20-85mm (or so) covers about 90% of what I shot. Pentax just needs new high quality wide angle primes (vintage 50s and 85s are all right, but wide angles need to be sharp and vintage wide angles aren't).

Last edited by Coiseam; 03-05-2020 at 01:06 PM.
03-06-2020, 06:15 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can’t afford re-equipping so this comparison is only wishful thinking. A Pentax K-1 outfit with a trinity of Pentax glass (15-30, 24-70 and 70-210 F/4) weighs in at 3.7kg or thereabouts (4.6kg if you substitute the 70-200/2.8, eeek). A Z7 with a Nikon trinity has smaller aperture, lighter lens options and can weigh in at least 1kg lighter and sacrifices nothing in optical quality for the landscape fan doing long walks/hikes. However, despite the arithmetic, it’s gonna have to wait for better financial times when I can afford a caddy.

Last edited by StiffLegged; 03-06-2020 at 12:56 PM.