Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-26-2020, 02:21 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Panasonic GH5 vs Sony A7SII

Hello there,

I've been considering adding a video-centric camera to my kit. My stills needs are more than fulfilled by K-1, and I guess its video capabilities are good enough for some newbie videography, but I'd prefer to use something lighter for on the run vlogging and such.

Therefore, I did some research and I'm considering either Pansonic GH5 or Sony A7SII. I can get both new for similar price, but I'm open to buying used as well. So far it seems Sony is more for low light stuff, and it draws me a lot, because I'd like to do some nighttime footage. Not sure how GH5 with its way smaller sensor could cope with that; on the other hand, GH5 has flip screen, better viewfinder and way better stabilization (if I could go without a gimbal, that would be very nice). I don't really care about native glass, I plan to buy a K mount adaptor and go with manual focus.

Which one of those would you recommend? Maybe something else entirely? Plus, is is true that GH5 takes the same D Li-90 batteries as K-1 does (that would be very nice).

All the best

03-26-2020, 02:44 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
Which one of those would you recommend? Maybe something else entirely? Plus, is is true that GH5 takes the same D Li-90 batteries as K-1 does (that would be very nice).
Wasn't it gh4 that took pentax batteries,maybe gh5 does too?...I do know the Panasonics don't fit in k-1

check this camera

03-26-2020, 06:31 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The prices of those cameras will put in the ballpark for professional video cameras, and even some of the higher end consumers put out good video. If you're happy with the K-1 for stills, why buy another still camera that does video.
03-27-2020, 02:20 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The GH5 hands down over the Sony if you're strictly looking at video. The Fujifulm X-T4 is supposed to be another great hybrid camera.

But yeah, they do get close to the price of a professional video camera like ramseybuckeye stated. In that case, I much rather go that route instead.

10-21-2020, 03:22 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
The GH5 hands down over the Sony if you're strictly looking at video. The Fujifulm X-T4 is supposed to be another great hybrid camera.
I've been looking at a lot of info about the GH5 and while everyone says that the features and video quality are amazing for the price, everyone also says that the AF (especially tracking AFC) is poor. Sony is said to have the best tracking AF in the same price range as the GH5. I'd like to get a camera capable of quality 4K to replace my Panasonic HD camcorder, but poor AF would drive me crazy. It seems that Panasonic is likely to release a GH6 which might address the AF issues, but I'm not sure if the existing Alpha 6600 would provide the same quality video as the GH5 (or potentially soon to be released GH6) while addressing the AF. These cameras are a lot less than $2K so I'm not sure how they are in the "professional video camera" league.