Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-01-2020, 11:22 AM   #1
Unregistered User

Canon EOS lens microadjustment data

Last edited by Unregistered User; 10-23-2020 at 04:27 AM.
05-01-2020, 12:01 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
Is there any way to manage or edit that list of lenses?
Which camera?

Steve
05-01-2020, 11:05 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Good question, I was wondering how camera manufacturers handle this problem in their database. If you cannot delete an entry, something must happen then the database is filled up. In my opinion, it would make most sense that a new lens replaces the lens that was not used for the longest time, replace it - only in a full data base. In that case, it would not matter to have an extra lens in the data base until it is full. Depending on the number of possible entries and the number of lenses you use, there should be no problem.
05-02-2020, 04:09 AM   #4
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
which camera?

Steve
eos 5ds r

05-02-2020, 04:16 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It is just a database. I'm sure that the 5ds r holds at least 20 lenses adjustments and so leaving it is probably no big deal as it is unlikely you will hit that number. Even if you own 20 plus lenses, odds are good that most won't need any adjustment.
05-02-2020, 06:26 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Try the lens registration utility. Also check if there is lens firmware available for download.
05-02-2020, 10:04 AM   #7
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
Try the lens registration utility. Also check if there is lens firmware available for download.
Thanks, but that stuff has to do with the camera's lens profile, and doesn't list individual lenses; it contains aberration data for each model of lens, but not for each lens, apparently. That was the first thing I checked. I've also been all over Canon's website (actually several, since those in other states contain different information), as well as the instructions, and everything I could find that was even remotely related on the InterNet. I'm thinking it's probably not possible, but my motto is, "when all else fails ask the humans."

05-02-2020, 10:05 AM   #8
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It is just a database. I'm sure that the 5ds r holds at least 20 lenses adjustments and so leaving it is probably no big deal as it is unlikely you will hit that number. Even if you own 20 plus lenses, odds are good that most won't need any adjustment.
That's true, but I'm one of THOSE people. I've had several clients call me "Mr. Monk". They appreciated my attention to detail when it came to their trials, however.
05-06-2020, 05:58 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Forgive me for teasing you DLH... but when it comes to attention-to-detail...

The real Mr. Monk would have have told us the exact model of Canon lens that the problem was occurring with, in case his fellow detectives had any more specific insights to offer.
05-11-2020, 06:26 AM   #10
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
Forgive me for teasing you DLH... but when it comes to attention-to-detail...

The real Mr. Monk would have have told us the exact model of Canon lens that the problem was occurring with, in case his fellow detectives had any more specific insights to offer.
You're right, of course. Though the question really wasn't about the lens, but the camera's internal database. No response from Canon customer support to my email request for information, so I reckon they don't know, either.

But, since inquiring minds want to know, the lens is a Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM Macro.