Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
So Fuji is the new Pentax now?
Ha! Hey they’re in good company.

07-12-2020, 10:51 AM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I assumed with Pentax the issue was that the new mirrorless designs of 3rd party companies were not easy to modify to a longer flange focal distance and that retooling older designs for Nikon F or Canon EF wasn't cost effective particularly with mechanically linked aperture rather than electronic aperture. To me it would seem Fuji has less stacked against 3rd party manufacture since they are in the same flange focal length range and use electronic aperture. In any case they seen to make a good camera and some nice lenses and I hope they continue for a long time.

I still prefer Pentax but they seem to have a similar focus on making cameras that photographers like using.
07-12-2020, 11:19 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It probably isn't a big deal to Fuji folks, is it? It is probably pretty easy for them to port over F mount or EOS mount lenses to their cameras if they would want to.

I do think that Fuji users probably buy Fuji cameras for the lenses and are less likely to buy third party lenses. I do wonder too, if their world wide sales are not so robust. I am sure they do well in Asia, but I have never seen a Fuji camera in use in the United States. And I have actually seen Olympus and Pentax cameras on a couple of outings with my family.
Some years ago two friends of mine switched from Canon (APSC and FF) to Fujifilm. One was very heavily invested in Canon. The other one also had two DSLRs and some lenses. He now owns two Fujifilm APSC cameras and is very happy with the f1.4/35. Recently he bought the Fujifilm 100-400 - really a lightweight lens compared to the DFA150-450, and a Zeiss 12mm. Both didn't see a future for heavy DSLR equipment and wanted to go more lightweight and both are happy with Fujifilm.
07-12-2020, 11:32 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It probably isn't a big deal to Fuji folks, is it? It is probably pretty easy for them to port over F mount or EOS mount lenses to their cameras if they would want to.

I do think that Fuji users probably buy Fuji cameras for the lenses and are less likely to buy third party lenses. I do wonder too, if their world wide sales are not so robust. I am sure they do well in Asia, but I have never seen a Fuji camera in use in the United States. And I have actually seen Olympus and Pentax cameras on a couple of outings with my family.
All anecdotal, but there are a good number of Fuji shooters in Ottawa Canada. Whenever I go out to shooting events, there'll be a small contingent of Fuji photographers. I've always wanted to try out their cameras, look like nice gear.

07-12-2020, 02:22 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Everything is relative and there could be 3 times as many Fuji cameras in the wild as Pentax and still not be profitable to produce 3rd party lenses for. It should be noted that Tamron was still a profitable operation for the first three months of 2020; presumably its owners would like it to remain that way. Let's say the lens market is 40% for Canon mounts, 25% for Nikon mounts and 20% for Sony mounts. That leaves 15% between all the others and if X-mount has one third of that, that's only 5% of the total. Let's say the breakeven point for Tamron is 10,000 lenses in a particular mount. An X-mount version that sells 10,000 lenses should sell 80,000 lenses in Canon mounts and 200,000 lenses in total for all mounts. The lens market more or less tracks the camera market and Tamron could develop the best third party lens of the last quarter century and not be able to sell 200,000 of them in today's market.
07-12-2020, 04:30 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
87 percent of the crashing market is occupied by Canon, Nikon and Sony, according to Mistral75's calculations last year.

It would be dumb for Tamron, Sigma or whoever to cater for Fuji (7 percent), Ricoh(1.7%) or Olympus (3%). Lens companies sales have been smashed, too.

And with such small numbers of product sold, the Fuji, Ricoh, Leica and Olympus boards don't want competition, either. To them, the third parties are parasites. Even Panasonic at some level might be relieved that Olympus is getting out. There clearly isn't money for both of them. Whether Panny are successful with consumer cameras or not is up for debate, because they refuse to release figures, AFAIK, that make Mistral's analysis for them not possible.