Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2020, 03:22 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
D-610 deal?

Anyone else notice the D-610, 50 f1.8, grip and WiFi adapter for under $900 US on B&H? Seems like a solid deal for intro to full frame....or am I missing something?

07-13-2020, 06:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HomeMadeSin Quote
Anyone else notice the D-610, 50 f1.8, grip and WiFi adapter for under $900 US on B&H? Seems like a solid deal for intro to full frame....or am I missing something?
Definitely a good camera imo. And nikon system is very fleshed out. I personally was on a lookout for Sony a7II and III deals as well, they can be had for pretty reasonable money.
07-13-2020, 07:00 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I had been wrestling with what to do next for a while. I really like what Pentax can do (and has done) with the camera bodies, but can’t shake the range of lens options for the bigger 3 (particularly the Sigma Art series). And for that price (for a new camera, not refurbished) seems like a strong buy for the buck. If I had seen the K-1 in that range, I’d be all over it.

---------- Post added 07-13-20 at 08:04 PM ----------

To be honest, I was really Jonesin’ for the Df, but used they were still $1300-$1500. This just seemed to be relatively outrageous...
07-15-2020, 10:02 PM   #4
Forum Member

To be honest, I would say you'd enjoy the DF setup more than the D610. The DF's added feature allowing the mounting of many inexpensive "pre ai" lenses is a plus, albeit they are manual focus lenses. The "ai/ai-s" mf lenses are readily available, also. They are built like a tank in Japan and I paid $40-125 per lens for six. Those with large paws may find the DF morer challenging to grip? I missed a couple of DF's for 1K and I have seen them for $850. I own it....(fredmiranda.com)
See here: [URL="https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1654102"]

The D610 has proven itself to many although I've never had one in hand. For a few bucks more I purchased the D810 (great), so glad I did. The d810 can be found for under 1k now, take a look at "FM". The lens wasn't included and I've used the grip (incl) one time to verify it worked. Carrying an extra battery has always worked for me as I'm not a professional photog, nor do I find the wifi worth the extra investment. Great if one can make use of it.
It's all subjective and I know you'll enjoy whatever you decide to bring home.

Regards
jake

07-16-2020, 04:50 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well the 610 lands here today and I look forward to giving it some time.
07-16-2020, 06:07 AM   #6
Pentaxian

It certainly looks like a great deal. The only downside I can see is that K mount lenses do not work well with Nikon DSLR bodies. A Sony A7II or Canon EOS RP will take K mount adapters, but the user experience of a MILC is different.
07-16-2020, 09:10 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here’s my quick take on it: I would LOVE a mirrorless full frame from Pentax. I like what they offer in camera bodies (weather sealing typical), ergonomics, menus and in particular a mindfulness of what a photographer wants and uses. I may only have (limited) experience In Canon (T6i), Nikon D7100, D200) and Sony (A7III) compared to K200, K-01, K-3, K-5ii, and K-1 but I strongly prefer Pentax. And I certainly did the bottom scouring for any legacy lenses I could find to benefit from that bargain bin. But they simply do not have the range of glass that Canikon have, especially when you consider Sigma and to a lesser extent Tamron.

If the K-1 rev1 was packaged like this 610 Deal for the same price, I would’ve “stayed” in the Pentax ecosphere. If they had announced a K-0 mirrorless FF with traditional flange distance for $2k-$2.5k, I would’ve sold the 67ii and jumped on that. If they announced a K-0 MILC FF with compact flange distance to allow for adapters and a bunch of glass for $3k, I would’ve listed near-and-dear body parts for sale to get in line.

---------- Post added 07-16-20 at 10:11 AM ----------

And yes, I would get over my preference for optical viewfinder. Everything is a compromise. Some of my fervor is I want to get back into full spectrum photography. I miss the K-01 I had converted and will search for another one.

---------- Post added 07-16-20 at 10:58 AM ----------

Perhaps I should reposition my statements (I don’t want to violate the tenets of the Voice of Customer Process, to which I’ve had training). The idea isn’t to promote answers (MILC, FF) but the needs/wants (clear visibility of the image to be taken - like a viewfinder offers and enough detail and sensitivity to offer an engaging result - FF. If it were possible to offer a DSLR with the ability to accept a wide range of lenses l, that would be important to me. Secondly, I would prefer to minimize the issues associated with full spectrum in live view vs slr focusing. But that’s just me.

07-17-2020, 04:41 AM   #8
Veteran Member

D610 is a good Nikon - good size body, great high ISO, robust enough for most normal use.