Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-05-2020, 10:58 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Can Anyone Identify A Mystery AF Mount?

NOW IDENTIFIED - SEE BELOW!

I bought a Sigma 28-70 AF zoom thinking that it was Minolta / Sony AF. A lot of things are the same - five electrical contacts, motor in the camera body, etc. etc. but unfortunately the flange is very slightly wider, and when I compare it to Minolta-fit lenses the placement of e.g. the autofocus and stop-down connections are different.

So far I've eliminated Sony / Minolta and Sigma's own cameras and things that don't look so much like this such as Nikon, Canon, Pentax, and Olympus. I'm pretty sure that it isn't Kyocera-Yashica, the manual is on line and that's another one that has a different arrangement of the contacts etc. Can anyone identify it or tell me other things that it isn't?

The photos below show this as clearly as I can. The red bump for alignment appears to be at the BOTTOM of the lens when it's on the camera, which puts the drive screw for autofocus near the bottom, the electrical contacts at about 1 to 2 o'clock seen from the front of the camera, the locking pin between 4 and 5 o'clock, and the stop down mechanism around 7 to 8 o'clock.

Honesty compels me to mention that the reason I need this info is to make it easier to sell the thing on to someone who can actually use it!

Many thanks!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 400D DIGITAL  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF

Last edited by Marcus Rowland; 08-05-2020 at 11:42 PM.
08-05-2020, 11:08 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yashica AF I think.
08-05-2020, 11:27 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I vote Minolta A-mount.

Steve
08-05-2020, 11:30 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Yashica AF I think.
I think you are right!

(Stolen from Minolta Kyocera?Yashica AF mount lens - Dyxum - Page 1)

Steve

08-05-2020, 11:33 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Yashica AF I think.
Certainly looks like it from the picture stevebrot provided - which is odd because the manual I found on line seemed to show a different arrangement. But that wasn't as clear as the photos.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I think you are right!

(Stolen from Minolta Kyocera?Yashica AF mount lens - Dyxum - Page 1)
That gives me enough info to sell the lens, I think - many thanks to you both!

Later - I think the thing that fooled me is that it looks like the distance scale isn't on the top of the lens when it's on a camera, which is very strange.

image from the same thread as the mount comparison.

Last edited by Marcus Rowland; 08-05-2020 at 11:47 PM.
10-29-2020, 06:28 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I finally sold this a week or so ago, and the buyer has left feedback and isn't complaining so we did get it right! Many thanks to everyone who helped.
02-12-2021, 11:13 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Today I received a job lot of photographic odds and ends that included a x1.6 autofocus telephoto converter which I at first thought was early Minolta, but soon identified as this mount. Still don't own anything that can use the thing, of course! Fortunately I was after some other items in the lot, so anything I can sell it for is more or less a bonus. Thanks again to everyone here, without you I'd still be scratching my head and trying to fit it onto my Sony A100...

later - small error - the Kyocera-Yashica thing is a converter for using Contax-Yashica lenses on the Kyocera-Yashica cameras, which for some reason is also a teleconverter. Not sure if it makes the lens act as autofocus, but it's possible I suppose - there are adapters like that for e.g. Minolta MD on Minolta A-mount AF bodis.

later later - the Kyocera-Yashica adapter turns out to be autofocus - when I tried turning the little worm screw in the lens mount I could see the lens assembly of the converter moving in and out. It would be worth a small fortune if it was for Nikon manual focus to AF, Minolta MD to AF, or something else that people actually want. Unfortunately the Yashica AF cameras are pretty much dead, doubt I'll get more than £20 for it.

Last edited by Marcus Rowland; 02-14-2021 at 07:27 AM.