Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2020, 10:19 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Does Sensor Size REALLY Matter? Camera Sensor Size Comparison - Part Two

08-22-2020, 10:37 AM - 1 Like   #2
mee
Veteran Member

The answer is, yes, there is no replacement for displacement. Bigger is better. At least with image quality.

The Canon R looks really clean though. Super sharp. That and the GFX are so nice.

I wonder how much the lens in front of the sensor is at play though? Surely a postage stamp sensor isn't matching something 4x or more larger. But the lens has to play a role too.
08-22-2020, 11:53 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It depends on what your needs are.

Gavin shoots m4/3 professionally and for his needs its more than adequate.

For others the justification of FF or even MF is very real. I rarely print larger than A3+ so 24MP FF give me all the resolution I need to hit 300dpi at that size. I will say that the color depth of the 50MP sensor in the Fuji GFX-50s is noticeable in processing. I don't need the resolution, but the transitions and color quality of the larger sensors stands out.
08-22-2020, 02:07 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It matters in a fashion similar to why it matters for film. Hint: The 35mm format did not rise to prominence due to image quality nor "dynamic range". Likewise, people don't persist in shooting 4x5" and 8x10" format purely because the process is slow enough to make missing the light a very strong possibility.

Steve

(...FWIW...color depth from a GFX-50s is the same as my K-3, if both are outputted to 16-bit TIFF with the same colorspace...)

08-22-2020, 02:45 PM   #5
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
It depends on what your needs are.

Gavin shoots m4/3 professionally and for his needs its more than adequate.

Shoot Winter Portraits in the Studio: Take and Make Great Photography with Gavin Hoey - YouTube

For others the justification of FF or even MF is very real. I rarely print larger than A3+ so 24MP FF give me all the resolution I need to hit 300dpi at that size. I will say that the color depth of the 50MP sensor in the Fuji GFX-50s is noticeable in processing. I don't need the resolution, but the transitions and color quality of the larger sensors stands out.
"Gavin"? Is he family?

The adage stands true. I can see mushiness even in his 1080x864 controlled enviro instagram shots. Whether that matters to him or his client is another discussion. I see he is paid by Olympus though so there is that. And most people on instagram seem to use a smartphone so theres that as well.

Anyways the review started off revolving around details in landscapes. Or a Cityscape in their case. The images from the m4/3 fall apart extremely obviously in those situations. Which is why I questioned the lens used. But I think it is just due to the sensor being so tiny that it can't really resolve much more detail than it already is. It just bugs me since I know the differences and can spot them easily and the details imo matter.
08-22-2020, 03:18 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think I understand the respective qualities of various sensor sizes, but I don't understand the type of comparison made in the video.

Zooming in and 'pixel peeping' is not how images would be viewed normally. I'd like to see how the images compare when viewed at a zoom factor that is sufficient to fill typical monitors with the complete picture. Alternatively, print the images at various formats/sizes and compare those.

In the video, I didn't hear any mention of the specific lenses that were used in the tests. That's a major flaw in their reporting, in my opinion.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 08-22-2020 at 04:03 PM.
08-22-2020, 03:56 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
The answer is, yes, there is no replacement for displacement. Bigger is better. At least with image quality.

I agree. My 35mm film cameras produced a better image than did my 110 and my medium format (Mamiya 6X6) produced a better image than did my 35mm. This is all based on similar conditions.

I have a couple of small cameras....a digital Canon G 12 and my Ricoh GRll. The little Ricoh has a big ASP-C sensor and there is no doubt that it can produce a better picture than the Canon. Which is why I bought it.

Small size, big sensor.

08-22-2020, 04:54 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think we know about the differences between formats by now, don't we? The differences have to do mainly with things like dynamic range, high iso performance, ability to shoot shallow depth of field with wider angle lenses, ability to print at larger sizes, and cost/size.

If most of what you shoot is out of camera jpegs it probably doesn't really matter what you shoot. If you never print images and most of what you do is post online the same is probably true. For portraits, it probably isn't a big deal, although if you want to replicate a 24 f1.4 full frame lens on micro four thirds, you might struggle a bit.

I have ended up with full frame because it is the largest sensor size that is reasonably priced. Medium format cameras have come down in price some, but they are still pretty expensive -- particularly when you consider the cost of the lenses.
08-22-2020, 05:17 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
"Gavin"? Is he family?

The adage stands true. I can see mushiness even in his 1080x864 controlled enviro instagram shots. Whether that matters to him or his client is another discussion. I see he is paid by Olympus though so there is that. And most people on instagram seem to use a smartphone so theres that as well.

Anyways the review started off revolving around details in landscapes. Or a Cityscape in their case. The images from the m4/3 fall apart extremely obviously in those situations. Which is why I questioned the lens used. But I think it is just due to the sensor being so tiny that it can't really resolve much more detail than it already is. It just bugs me since I know the differences and can spot them easily and the details imo matter.

No. Never met the guy. He does great work with m4/3.

If you control your light. Just about any format is more than capable of professional results.

08-22-2020, 05:31 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Since I use only my old manua focus 35mm film camera lenses, sensor size for me affects mainly the FOV. I used 20 - 35mm lenses a lot on film, and I want a sensor that doesn't crop the FOV I'm used to. I don't fine IQ much of a factor.
I lost the wide end with my K5 on these lenses, got it back with an A7
08-22-2020, 06:17 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
Since I use only my old manua focus 35mm film camera lenses, sensor size for me affects mainly the FOV. I used 20 - 35mm lenses a lot on film, and I want a sensor that doesn't crop the FOV I'm used to. I don't fine IQ much of a factor.
I lost the wide end with my K5 on these lenses, got it back with an A7
I know it wont happen, but I wish one of the mirrorless camera manufacturers not named Leica would make a MF only camera. My issue with Sony A7 and even the A7II was the color science in the RAW files. Skin tones were too orange and it was very hard to get just right in post.
08-24-2020, 09:47 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I know it wont happen, but I wish one of the mirrorless camera manufacturers not named Leica would make a MF only camera. My issue with Sony A7 and even the A7II was the color science in the RAW files. Skin tones were too orange and it was very hard to get just right in post.
Agree with you on another (cheaper) MF FF digital. The M10 is ideal for all my old Leica lenses, but my SLR lenses use the Sony. The Sony colors haven't bothered me much, as an old slide film shooter we just got what the film recorded, and films were all different. I do as little post work as possible - sick of computers, which is why I'm retired.
11-08-2020, 10:09 PM   #13
Forum Member

If sensor size matters we'd all be using a medium format camera... or we'd all be shooting 8x10... wait... we'd never have switched from film. I'm not a good photographer... buying a larger format sensor won't make me better... it'll make me poorer.